General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Now Fit has a true new competitor

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 03:01 PM
tin
5 Year Member
Hate to say it, but it's what I wanted to get before I knew about the Fit, found out there was no 5 doors in US, and sat in it. But it does have the best placed cup holder I've ever seen, left of the steering wheel.

Originally Posted by hanzo
Yaris hatch is coming in 5 doors next month to the US: Motor Authority » Five-door Toyota Yaris on sale in U.S. next month

Old 07-24-2008, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by eldaino
i agree with hanzo that they are technically competitors, but here in the states, the versa,yaris,fit,rio....they are all in the same class, subcompact. (someone mentioned the matrix, but its not a subcompact, its a c class car, just a hatched corolla.) at any rate, the point is that the fit HAS had competition, just because the yaris is a 5 door now doesn't mean that honda has anything to worry about.

the last comparo i read that included all these cars in c/d put the rio ahead of toyota anyway. even the koreans have more regard to sporting intent!

i'm sure many tuners mod it, but a platform that already performs is more important to daily drivers.

that and the fact that the interior of the fit spanks on the yaris in every way imaginable.

and i understand what justin was saying about it basically being a 3 door with 2 more doors....some 4 door hatches are bigger than their 2 door bretheren.

my rabbit was like the yaris in this instance though: the 2 door and 4 door offered exactly the same amount of space, the 2 door just had shorter doors to compensate for the additional two.

NO biggie if you car is the size of the rabbit....but an issue when you are still dealing with the tiny amount of space the yaris has on the inside. not to mention how much bigger the hatch is on the fit.
Not saying Honda has to worry about it, just there are now more options for potential buyers and it's probably the closest competitor the Fit has in the USA. Competition is good, we the consumer gets the better end of the deal. Its supply and demand, people want practical economy cars they'll bring them over. Just hope they bring over the RS yaris which is turbo. I seriously doubt that though.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:17 PM
We test drove the 3 dr after we test drove the Fit and the Yaris just feels cheap inside. And what were they thinking putting the cup holder on the left.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:53 PM
The Yaris isn't a bad little car. I drove a brand new one for two weeks as a rental in Iceland. The center-mounted gauges didn't bother me at all. Gas mileage was excellent. But you know what the Yaris doesn't have that makes it inferior to the Fit? The magic seats and the sharp looks. The Yaris is bulbous and boring.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:57 PM
if its anything like the XD.. which it is...

then it ISNT competition at all

Old 07-24-2008, 06:18 PM
5 Year Member
They are both consider K car class

I don't think so. To be considered kei cars in Japan, the displacement cannot exceed 660 cc and must be within certain physical dimensions. In Japan, the Vitz (Yaris) and Fit are direct competitors in the 1.3 L class, as is the Nissan March (Micra).

Old 07-24-2008, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jacksan1

I don't think so. To be considered kei cars in Japan, the displacement cannot exceed 660 cc and must be within certain physical dimensions. In Japan, the Vitz (Yaris) and Fit are direct competitors in the 1.3 L class, as is the Nissan March (Micra).

beat me to it! kei cars are like like giant scooters with a tiny car built around them!

as far as the rs goes, while i didn't realize it was turbo, its safe to say that toyota won't be bringing anything remotely sporty over here for awhile. why should they? they can build things on a so so chassis and just ensure that the aftermarket will take care of the rest

Old 07-24-2008, 09:35 PM
But wouldn't it be even more practical if it had 2 more doors?
No. Those civics were perfect the way they were.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:40 PM
5 Year Member
But wouldn't it be even more practical if it had 2 more doors?
Maybe, but in your post, you said 3-door cars had no practicality, which just isn't true.

-Mike

Old 07-24-2008, 10:02 PM
In Japan they are consider competitors, Yaris even has an one make racing series. They are both consider K car class and plenty of tuners tune them.
Do you mean Kei cars?

They aren't Kei cars. Kei cars are even smaller and are limited to 660cc engines or smaller. More like a Smart car size.

The Fit and Yaris are one full size bigger than that.

That said, I would say the Yaris will be good competition for the Fit, though for the money I think the Scion xD is the better buy. Why would you buy a Yaris when you could have a Scion xD which is basically the same platform with a more powerful engine at only a -1 mpg penalty or so for about $1000 less similarly equipped. The Yaris is a good deal if you get a stripped one (hard to find) but once you add ABS, airbags etc they are like $16k

Old 07-24-2008, 10:13 PM
5 Year Member
i think the yaris is eeeewwwwww. i would never consider buying one.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:21 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
The one pictured in the starting post looks pretty good. But whos to say ours will look anything like that?
Ive seen a few modded 3 door Yaris's that I like. They arent all that great. What I love about the Fit is that it doesnt look as cheap as it is. (class wise)

The only real thing I dont like about the Fit is the door panels. Theyre so cheesy.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:31 PM
no way

the yaris and fit are both considerably bigger than a Kei car....

the motors on those things are like under 1L in Japan

Old 07-24-2008, 10:33 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
That looks like the 09 Fit. *LAUGHS!!!*

Old 07-24-2008, 11:21 PM
5 Year Member
kei cars are like like giant scooters with a tiny car built around them!

I know I am going OT on this, but you'd be surprised how spacious and comfortable today's kei cars are. Suzuki WagonR and Daihatsu Tanto, for instance, have such an enormous interior room that you think you are in a small gym when you get inside these cars.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cat
I looked at the Yaris and it looked cheap on the interior plus the gauge placement was like what were they thinking! It looks like a bubble coming down the road. I went down to look it over and just knew that it would not work for me so I did not even take it for a test drive. I had just driven the Honda Fit and was hopelessly and madly in love with that car. Even the Versa, Cobolt and Focus could not change my mind!

Cat
Focus is 1 FUGLY CAR...PERIOD....SHITz looked so nasty that make my eyes hurt.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jacksan1

You are correct, I forgot the classifications, I just remembered it was sub compact.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ghibli99
Maybe, but in your post, you said 3-door cars had no practicality, which just isn't true.

-Mike
I said no practicality compared to the 5 doors. I thought we are talking about 5 doors vs 3 doors?

Old 07-25-2008, 06:33 AM
5 Year Member
Wow, okay guys enough with the definition of K or Kei car class, I know wikipeida and google are useful tools but one person posting it is enough and I think we got the point and I admit I made a mistake, lets move on.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:08 AM
Koi
5 Year Member
So it's pretty much a bigger dung beetle on the road. Hamster cheeks still included.

BLECHHHHH

Quick Reply: Now Fit has a true new competitor