General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit seating position

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 10:04 PM
5 Year Member
Question Fit seating position

Hi all,

I was wondering if you folks have any complaints with the Fit's seating position and ergonomics. Every time my brother drives my Fit, he always complains about the poor seating position. He says that he is sitting too upright, his legs are too scrunched up, and the shift knob is too close (his arm is too bent when shifting).
He also says his own car has a much more comfortable seating position (he drives a 2000 Civic DX hatchback).

Appreciate all your feedback on this...

Old 07-22-2008, 10:13 PM
5 Year Member
I agree with Consumer Reports in that the steering wheel is too far away. I have to sit closer and crunch my knees more then I like in order for the reach to the steering wheel to feel more comfortable. Also the front cup holders are too far in front and the rear cup holders too far to the rear so make for a long beverage reach either way . Also I'm trying to figure a way to velcro on a piece of carpet in the rear part of the door handle where I like to rest my elbow when steering. So yes, amongst my initial fondness for the vehicle, driver ergonomics can be improved at least for this guy.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
power windows

Another thing I noticed about the ergonomics is that the power window switches are located too far back. Often, when I want to open or close the front windows, I accidentally open the rear windows instead. Not sure if this is because the doors are so small, that there is no other way to place these switches..

Old 07-23-2008, 02:25 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yep, that is the known offering 'flaw' for the current Fit... not offering
them with telescopic steering wheels.

on the contrary, the current gen Civic's are super comfy to drive and
one of the main reasons for that is the pedal spacing to the seat and
the telescoping steering wheel.

i think Honda intended to sell Fit's to shorter ladies (no offense intended)
as primary demographics.

but if you think this car's bad, try a Corolla. they ultimately suck.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member
i find that alot of times im not sitting all the way back into my seat and that my back is curved forward... scary 4 my back. The pedals hurt a bit too but they're good for heel-toe... hahaha the shifter is fine for me but sometimes when im turning alot like in a parking lot or around a cul-de-sac i slam my funny bone into the door and it REALLY hurts... lol

Old 07-23-2008, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member
I have no problem with the seating position. But I'm not that high with only 175cm. And I have always liked sitting more upright when driving.
But I will agree about the steeringwheel beeing a little too far away. But that does not make me uncomfortable when driving. On long rides I tend to grip the wheel lower, except in higher speeds and in town at about 9:30 and 2:30.

I have hight adjustment on the driver seat, but have it on the lowest setting all the time.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:36 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
dang, he has height adjustment. we have forward/aft and tilt only.

unless you got short legs this car could get pretty uncomfortable.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:43 PM
My opinion is that the seat bottom is slanted too far forwards. I was going to see if I could bolt 1-2" thick metal spacers under the front seat bolts to make it tilt back a little bit more... Other than that, Its rare i can drive a car for more than 15 minutes without my lower back starting to cramp up, and in the fit it doesn't, so i am very pleased about that.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:50 PM
Before getting the Fit, I test drove the Toyota Yaris, the Saturn Astra, an old '02 Civic Si, the Nissan Versa, and the Ford Focus, and found the Fit to be the most comfortable of the Lot.

NOTE: I'm 6' 2" with somewhat disproportionately long arms and legs. I find the most comfortable seating position to be all the way back, or one notch from all the way back.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:00 PM
Banned
I feel like I'm one of the few with almost no complaints about the seating in the Fit. I'm 6' flat, but I've got long arms and legs, so the wheel isn't too far or too close for my liking. My only "complaint" is how high I sit in the car, I came from a slammed 92 accord and the seat was super low to begin with and the Fit seats are kinda high, but its really a non-issue.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:08 PM
yup, my foot get stuck at the clutch couple times and stalled the car when i bought it, wasn't used to the seating position at all, almost seems like it's always too far or too close and was never right

Old 07-23-2008, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
dang, he has height adjustment. we have forward/aft and tilt only.

unless you got short legs this car could get pretty uncomfortable.
I'm 6'-3" and would love to be able to push the front seat back a bit more.

Are you the same kenchan that has or had a G35? Seeing all your mods in your sig leads me to believe you are... I remember you for excellent suspension advice.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:16 PM
I myself am 6'0" and find the position fairly comfortable. The seat could go back a touch more but is not bad. The wheel and shifter are perfect to me. Each person has their own preferences and one car can not Fit everyone. No pun intended.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
I'm about 6'1 and really dont have any major complaints. If the seat could go back a little more it would be perfect, but I am living with it just fine as it.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:08 AM
Originally Posted by boon4376
My opinion is that the seat bottom is slanted too far forwards. I was going to see if I could bolt 1-2" thick metal spacers under the front seat bolts to make it tilt back a little bit more...
A lot of guys on the 4Runner forum I frequent (who have the non-power seats base model) are using the spacer trick to lift the front and increase thigh support for taller guys.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:12 PM
im 6'4 and i fit nicely in the fit. other than the fact YES i would have liked and arm rest. and not that im complaining about the hardroom. i got plenty. but i would like my seat dropped straight down maybe and inch or so. but over all i am very comfy cozy

Old 07-24-2008, 12:22 PM
5 Year Member
Wasn't sure about it when I test drove one, but now that I've had a couple days to adjust from my lesabre, it's perty comfy. I wish it sat more like...and eclipse or something, or a Tc, just more sporty, instead of somewhat feeling like you're in a minivan...microvan but o well. You feel high up inside, till another car pulls next to you :P
Nother thing is an armest...I hate the usdm one doesn't have one, but I'm getting used to it...may still order a jdm centerconsole peice though.
Other than that, I've gotten used to it and don't mind it now.

o yea, for comparison I'm 6'2"

Last edited by shazaam; 07-24-2008 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:00 PM
I like the driving position.
No complaints yet.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
well i am only 5'6" .. but still have no complaints except of course.. the lack of telescopic steering wheel and armrest standard on the vehicle.