General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

A/C stuck on?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
A/C stuck on?

I have had my fit since May, its an SSM Sport 5spd. I noticed something particularly odd last night. When I turn on my fan on the climate control with the setting on "cool" and the air intake from the outside, it seems a bit chilly almost as if the AC is on. But here is the kicker, last night it was about 86 degrees outside and I had not even touched the AC button, the light on the AC button is not on.

I tried to listen to the engine when I turn the fan on and off to see if I could hear the AC kick in. I had my gf turn it on and off while I was listening under the hood. All I heard was the fan kick in. Then I told her to push the AC button to turn it on and off and I could not hear the clutch on the compressor engadge or disengadge due to the loud ass AC fan that kicks in also.

This problem may have been for a week or two and didn't notice the climate situation till last night. I have been feeling like the cars been sluggish for a while, from my last fillup I only got 300 miles out of the tank and I drive pretty much conservatively shitting in and around thte 2-2.5k mark and 90 percent highway because I ride my bicycle to work (only 1 mile one way).

It was dark last night so I couldnt really see much when I was looking at the AC compressor so I might try again today when I get off work. If worse comes to worse I might have to take it in to Honda .

Any advice or have this happened to anyone before?

Old 07-22-2008, 02:22 PM
on my moms element, if the temp dial is all the way max to the cold section, it starts the A/C compressor with out turning the light on or pushing the button. Click it up a few notches and it should start to feel like normal outside air.

I assume other Honda vehicles would work the same way?

Old 07-22-2008, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds to me something is wrong. I always have mine turned all the way down on the cold side of the dial and the compressor does not come on.

You dont have either of the defrost settings on the dial do you? The windsheild defroster uses the ac compressor even without the light going on.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:57 PM
mine does that too!!!

but for mine... its all the way cold, turn the speed 1-4, and the area is defrost/legs

its cold....... strange..

Old 07-22-2008, 03:00 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Luichenwai
mine does that too!!!

but for mine... its all the way cold, turn the speed 1-4, and the area is defrost/legs

its cold....... strange..
defrost uses the a/c.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rod2Rice
Sounds to me something is wrong. I always have mine turned all the way down on the cold side of the dial and the compressor does not come on.

You dont have either of the defrost settings on the dial do you? The windsheild defroster uses the ac compressor even without the light going on.
You know, know that you mentioned it, I'm going to kick myself in the nuts. I'm 99% positive that the setting is on windshield defrost. I will have to check when I leave work.

I'm so used to my del sol's climate control and forgot on the newer hondas, the AC turns on whenever you defrost the windshield.

I am embarrassed now lol. Thanks for the solution haha

Old 07-22-2008, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by boon4376
on my moms element, if the temp dial is all the way max to the cold section, it starts the A/C compressor with out turning the light on or pushing the button. Click it up a few notches and it should start to feel like normal outside air.

I assume other Honda vehicles would work the same way?
This is not the way My wife's 2005 or 2008 Element work, or anyother car from my old Nova to jetta to Geo storm worked. If this is happening I would take it in and have it looked at. There is something shorting and causing the AC to be activated.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:44 PM
All new cars have the AC activated when you use the defrost or heat/defrost. And the temp you select has no effect.
You can disable this by unpluging a wire on the back.
Check the maintenance forum, there is a sticky for this.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member
But still,

I don't see why you shouldn't go ahead and kick yourself in the nuts, though. I'm going to do it myself, now that you mention it.
OWWRRGHHH! Never mind, I don't recommend it.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steeldog
I don't see why you shouldn't go ahead and kick yourself in the nuts, though. I'm going to do it myself, now that you mention it.
OWWRRGHHH! Never mind, I don't recommend it.
i'll take your word for it

Old 07-22-2008, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member
Dont worry we all make silly mistakes! its like when I forgot to plug the airbag light back in when I swapped my radio, and ripped everything apart trying to figure out why my airbag light on the dash was on!

Old 07-22-2008, 06:18 PM
doesn't make sense. Shouldn't the A/C light come on even if its on the defrost/feet mode? I have the A/C button OFF. no lights on. and still coming out cold.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:57 PM
the ac button only lights up when you push it in, the ac comes on with the defrost all on its own, no button required

Old 07-22-2008, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by seeremlive
This is not the way My wife's 2005 or 2008 Element work, or anyother car from my old Nova to jetta to Geo storm worked. If this is happening I would take it in and have it looked at. There is something shorting and causing the AC to be activated.
LOL i feel like an idiot too now, my mom leaves it on the defrost mode because she doesnt like it in her eyes, i guess my method was just turning the heater on

Old 07-22-2008, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member
At least you didnt bring it to the dealer just to have them tell you the same thing! Imagine how silly you'd have felt then lol!