General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Pre-Order for '09 a "scam"???

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 11:09 PM
Pre-Order for '09 a "scam"???

So after hearing about several people pre-ordering the 2009 Fit, I decided to give my local dealer a call and get my name on the waiting list. I was kind of surprised by what they told me. Just to sum it up:

-They are not taking pre-orders or putting names down on a waiting list at this time.

-They said that any dealership claiming to be taking pre-orders for a deposit is just trying to make a quick dollar. At this time no one can really make any guarantees on the availability/quantity of cars at time of release.

-No "official" information has been released to the dealers (including pricing). The only thing official is what's on Honda's website

-They do not expect to have any '09 Fits on the lot until some time in November

-They think that Honda will try to push the expensive trim (ie Sport with Nav & VSA) initially and they will only be available in one or two colors at first. For a better selection/wider variety of options, I would have to wait until January.

and this really shocked me, but
-He told me they don't expect a high demand for the vehicle. They said the company wants to give people the idea that there is a huge demand when really they are just limiting the number of vehicles produced to make it appear that way. He said this is especially the case with the Civic Hybrid (they only receive two per month).

The conversation ended with him telling me that he would give me a call when they were able to order them. He estimated it be a month and two weeks before the vehicle would arrive on the lot from the time it was ordered.

I'm probably forgetting something, but if any of you would like to call, here's the information:

Honda of Clear Lake (Houston, Texas)
281-338-6666

Any thought?

Old 07-21-2008, 11:51 PM
One thing to keep in mind is that most dealerships would rather sell the cars they have now, and not have people waiting on a purchase.

As I had mentioned in another thread, a friend of a good friend is a GM at the dealership where I am on the waiting list. He said they are not taking cash deposits since they are not worried about moving any Fits they are able to get their hands on.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:02 AM
5 Year Member
I talked with my Honda dealer, the same one who quoted me 16400, for a 2008. He checked with the sales manager and they have already ordered a shipment of 2009 FITS. I asked to be able to put a deposit down on the Blackberry Pearl without Nav that is coming. He said the 500.00 refundable deposit gives me the option to purchase the vehicle within 24 hours after I am contacted that the car is here. He said the car should be here around the 22 of September.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:12 PM
We do have some 2009 Fits in the pipeline but still don't have any pricing information. Some of what the OP said sounds like crap from the dealer. Honda is not keeping numbers artificially low or over reporting demand. Honda had 2,000 units on the ground in the U.S. in June of 08 and took orders for 10,000. So make of it what you will.

That being said, we aren't taking orders yet either. No pricing information yet.

While the Rear Entertainment and Nav is an available model, we chose not to order any in the first go-round. This thing isn't a minivan for goodness' sake!

Anyway, some dealers are taking pre orders and others are not. I'm going to approach my boss about it. Just remember that all the cars will be MSRP and up (we never charge over MSRP here). We are competing with demand in the rest of the world for this great little car.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:16 PM
Banned
Rear Entertainment?!?!?

Did you just say rear entertainment? Could I really order a DVD player for a subcompact economy car?

Old 07-23-2008, 11:18 AM
My dealer is taking $100 deposits, as well as your trim level and color choice, and they call you and set it aside as soon as it comes off the truck. And the money actually goes toward the down payment on the car, its not a reservation fee... they add you to a list and when it comes in its reserved for only you.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Snoodmaster
I talked with my Honda dealer, the same one who quoted me 16400, for a 2008. He checked with the sales manager and they have already ordered a shipment of 2009 FITS. I asked to be able to put a deposit down on the Blackberry Pearl without Nav that is coming. He said the 500.00 refundable deposit gives me the option to purchase the vehicle within 24 hours after I am contacted that the car is here. He said the car should be here around the 22 of September.
It is up to the dealer if he wants to 'reserve' a sale just as he can set the price. He doesn't have to reserve a car at any price but he can. If he does I am quite certain he won't price it under "MSRP, whatever that is".
Its exactly like the VW bug days in the 60's when if you were first on the list you got your choice of the latest shipment, second got next, etc. You were told the price and if you didn't like it you were crossed off the list.
Just because you're on the list doesn't mean you get the car at a price less than the dealer says. Your best bet is to hope nobody else behind you wants your color too.
There is no business on earth as cruel or as dishonest as the automotive one.
that said, cheers. and good luck.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
Whomever you talked is either misinformed or simply doesn't want totell you. )9 Fits have been ordered/allocated and while it will take a couple months to ramp up they should be on dealers lots 10/1. IN will give him actual build dates which in our case range fron 8/7-9/10. We do not take a deposit until the vehicle is built, but every dealer can handle this differently. hope this helps.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:28 PM
UPDATE:

Just called American Honda Motor Co. Customer Service (1-800-999-1009)and confirmed some of what the dealer told me.

See my response to ProMed below

Last edited by fANTOM; 07-23-2008 at 02:25 PM. Reason: My computer shutdown to install system updates
Old 07-23-2008, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by fANTOM
UPDATE:

Just called American Honda Motor Co. Customer Service (1-800-999-1009)and confirmed some of what the dealer told me.
Which parts did you confirm?

Old 07-23-2008, 02:25 PM
To sum up what they told me:

-They expect them to arrive at dealerships in early October

-Dealers are NOT able to order them at this time

-The variety of trim/colors will be limited at time of release. There is no information available to indicate what regions of the US will receive which vehicles. The customer service rep did not have any kind of allocation information.

-Dealerships can take pre-orders or allow people to sign-up on a waiting list at their discretion. They are not able to order vehicles with customer requested specs at this time. They can fill out a "Customer Request Form", but Honda doesn't begin to process those until after the vehicle has been out for about a month or so.

-Brochures will be released approximately 2-3 weeks before the vehicle is released.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:30 PM
I'm getting alot of conflicting information...

I guess I'll just have to wait a little longer to get more of a definitive answer.

I just want Sport trim/Storm Silver Metallic...I don't really care whether or not I get one with VSA/Navi or just a regular CD player.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:02 PM
several of the MN honda dealers in my area (inner grove honda, walser honda, Luther Honda) have been telling me they know what cars they are getting, and when they are getting built. For example, I was told the next available SSM AT sport has a build date of 8/22 and will arrive approx. 6 weeks after that.

Also, Walser Honda said they are taking 500$ deposits to get your name on the cars, but aren't actually charging you until the car is on its way.

how's that for a conflicting report!

Old 07-23-2008, 07:12 PM
5 Year Member
The first allocation of cars is usually decided by Honda. We did our "move"(order) this week and 09 Fits were on although you were limited by percentage what you could order(20% base 80% sport etc). Honda Customer service does not have access do dealer IN info so they would be unable to tell you who is getting what when.

You want a fairly common combination in a color that remains the same from 08 so I don't expect you shoud have a problem getting what you want.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member
gotta love the toyota ad on this page under Honda forum

Old 08-04-2008, 10:15 AM
On Saturday, we put a $500 deposit on an '09 Fit Sport. We'll pay MSRP. We live in the Chicago area. The sales rep did not pressure us at all. He said that we could have our pick of a few different colors from the first shipment coming in the 3rd week of September, including our first choice, "orange revolution." All of this was written on our contract/receipt.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
honda forum?

Originally Posted by 07fitsport
gotta love the toyota ad on this page under Honda forum
Help! I haven't found it yet. I looked under all forum on this page. but no luck.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:37 PM
Dealers in Kansas are expecting the cars in late aug early Sep, and have no problem taking deposits on preorders as almost all the "08 Fits in the state are sold

Old 08-05-2008, 11:42 AM
I put in a $500 deposit on a Red '09 Sport AT, just got an email from my salesman saying that it was being shipped on 8/26. Don't know the ETA, I guess it just depends on who is rowing the boat across the Pacific.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
Even if the vehicles are built and in the states Honda has set the release date as Oct 1. This usually means the vehicle will be held at the railhead/delivery center until the release date. The earliest production date I have seen is 8/10.

While I never say never I would not expect to see an 09 on dealers lots until 10/1

Quick Reply: Pre-Order for '09 a "scam"???