General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

FIT VS Matrix question

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 09:37 AM
FIT VS Matrix question

Ok so i got to test out a honda fit and a toyota matrix back to back yesterday, and the fit beat it in every single way possible.

the problem is, i had to drive an auto fit, and a 5-speed matrix. I want a 5-speed fit and have a question.

The Matrix's 5-speed was aweful, I felt like i was churning butter in a slushbox, it was disgusting feeling and spongey, no notches to even let me know that it was in gear.

How is the fit's in comparison? Is it crisp? Notchey? Too notchey? I'm coming form a 5-speed saab 9000 turbo if anyone can make a comparison to that. Is the fit's manual controlling by cables or is there an actual stick going into the transmission?

Old 07-20-2008, 11:25 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
nothing like toyota's gearboxes.

the Fit's gearbox is like a toggle switch. very clean and crisp, no
rubbery feel. you'll definitely like it if you enjoy driving MT cars.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member
agreed, very clean shifting, although i found the stock knob a little light, so to get better feel i went with a skunk2 weighted knob

Old 07-20-2008, 12:57 PM
5 Year Member
I learned stick on a Corolla and then going to a Fit was like a revelation. It's a HUGE difference. The Corolla felt much torquier and easier to drive though, and shifts were smooth even when I was a newbie. The Fit takes a lot of work to drive smoothly, especially in the 1-2 shift.

Fit: Quick, precise shifts but very hyper personality
Corolla/Matrix: Smooth but rubbery, more easy-going

I guess it's just the typical difference between Hondas and toyotas. Suffice to say if you like sporty cars, Honda trannys are better.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
Thank you for your post. My sister is considering a Matrix. Transmission differences aside, you really think the Fit is more advanced? I was going to test drive a Scion XD but got sick of waiting for a dealer to get one in so just went out and bought the Fit.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
"More advanced" seems kind of a difficult question to pose. The Fit is basically a 2001 model, and the Matrix is new. But I wouldn't say that makes the Fit "less advanced", since newer cars have mostly just gotten more bloated. Other than relatively crappy emissions (LEV) and no i-Vtec, the Fit has all the technology you'd expect in a car of its class.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:24 PM
Banned
Another thing to keep in mind, the Matrix and Corolla share the same platform. I had a Fit Sport automatic for a day while my Fit Sport was in for service work. The automatic was simply not my cup of tea, I love the manual far more.

You can get the options far cheaper from other dealers and after market stores. Things like floor mats, rear cargo cover, etc. I would have saved an easy 30% had I known this fact. One gets hosed at the local Honda dealer.

Cheers.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:56 PM
The gear box is very crisp and a pleasure to drive. The drive by wire throttle takes a little getting used to, but it all works well after the learning curve.

Here, this will show you what the Fit gear box is like.

YouTube - Spoon Honda Fit on the track

Old 07-21-2008, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by geepondy
Thank you for your post. My sister is considering a Matrix. Transmission differences aside, you really think the Fit is more advanced?
To me, the fit was better in EVERY single way. The fit costs thousands less.. and the Base model FWD matrix I tested Had NO power locks and NO power windows (the base fit has these standard btw) This was a $17,000 model. It handled worse, had a much larger turning radius, the visibility is horrible, trunk space is much much smaller, even with seats folded, and its no where near as versatile. It doesn't even FEEL faster when driving it despite having almost a whole extra litre under the hood.

IT makes absolutely no sense to pick a matrix over a fit. I will be testing out the Scion Xd later today.. an automatic though, I want to see how it handles compared to the fit. Since the soonest the dealer can get a Manual Fit Sport in stock is september.. the 2009 models will be out and I think i will get an 09 instead.

Stability control is very important to me, its saved me in my moms element before. The Xd has it as a $650 option and the 09 fit is getting it, so I'm waiting for the 09 models.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:10 PM
5 Year Member
Please post your experiences with Scion XD. That was my second choice but got tired of waiting for dealer to get one in to test drive so went ahead and bought the Fit. By all accounts from what I read, the Scion XD is a better car then the Yaris.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by geepondy
Please post your experiences with Scion XD. That was my second choice but got tired of waiting for dealer to get one in to test drive so went ahead and bought the Fit. By all accounts from what I read, the Scion XD is a better car then the Yaris.
I have never driven the yaris, but i did get to drive the XD yesterday. It was a nice little car, but, and i swear i dont work for honda, it still doesnt come close to the fit. (this is my experneice with an XD auto vs. a Fit Auto)

XD Pros: Driver seating comfort; the driver is seated in a more tilted back racing style, instead of that weird leaning forward feel that a lot of cars have these days. The transmission shifts nicely and theres quite a bit of pep. On the outside looks a little more trendy than the current fit.

XD Cons: The engine sounds much harsher than the fits. It groans and frequently sounds over worked. Much more vibration is fed through to the cabin. When I was going 55 MPH, I literally felt like i was going 100. My buddy had to ask me how fast I was going and came to the same conclusion without even conferring with me... This does however make the car feel faster than the fit, though i'm certain that it probably isnt. The dash board is useless, theres no little storage cubbies or places to put things. Its a giant plastic wave, however there are two small glove compartments. There is still a more closed in feeling when compared to the fit, and definitely not as much trunk space (not as deep or as long)
In the rear of the car, with the driver seat 1/2 way forward (where me, a 5' 8" person would drive with it) my knees were touching when i tried the back seat. The rear seats have a very verticle angle, and the headrests met the middle of my spine and forced me to sit leaning forward. My buddy could bearly last 5 minutes back there, where we would have lasted all day in the fit.
Visibility in the fit is much better, again the Xd while better than the matrix still have small windows.. a trend i do not understand at all.

The Xd i test drove had 3,000 miles on it as the dealer said he used it as his personal car for a couple of months. And with only 3000 miles it managed to have multiple vibration noises coming from the a-pillars and in the dash behind the stereo under hard acceleration. While the fit i tested only had 20 miles on it, there were no vibrations at all.
The Xd is more harsh over bumps than the fit, however its turning radius is just as good.

My overall evaluation is that if you desperately need to save $2000 by getting a base XD (and only 3 year olds will be in the rear seat) by all means it comes with a lot of standard features like power locks and windows, and it wouldnt be that bad a choice.
That said the fit is very little in cost difference, but MUCH higher in versatility and comfort. Also its worth noting that the fit does MUCH better in crash tests and the XD rates only average in 5 of the scoring areas where the Fit rates 4 in only one area.

Since the 09 fit it getting active head restraints making it much safer in rear end collisions and a stability control option, i'm still definitely waiting on that. Its definitely what I'm going to purchase.

In case anyone is wondering why i'm comparing these cars against each other, my requirement is that it can hold one of these carts in the trunk (and get over 30 MPG) for our family business..

Old 07-22-2008, 11:24 AM
I have a MR Fit manual - had to order it and it took three months to arrive. I am very pleased with the manual and I have a lot of cars to compare it to - everything from a Miata to a morgan to a corvette. The Fit manual is the best I have ever driven - smooth and almost glides into the next gear. The thottle by wire has worked very well but took a little while to get used to the slow drop in rpms when I shifted. I am used to this now. I selected the manual due to the different gearing over the auto. This has helped me in the mountains and kept my mileage around 40-42 mpg.
The car is so easy to shift I am using the Fit to teach a few others how to drive a stick.
Good luck.