General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

all 4 wheels stolen from Blue Sport AT - one week old

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 02:31 AM
5 Year Member
So, are you guys generally in favor of using wheel locks other than what Honda offers? There are a lot of them on ebay that are Honda but if people go after Honda's in general, is there only one key? Wouldn't they have that already?

Are there different locks sizes for different lug sizes? Would I get those at a Pep Boys or other auto shop or ebay or where? I've never had to buy anything extra for any of my other Hondas so please forgive the ignorance.

And where would I go for rims and tires if not the dealership? a custom shop? Would aftermarkets be worth less and therefore not as desireable to steal? I just want to do whatever I can to deter them coming back again for an easy kill...

Thanks for all the advice thus far, guys.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:04 AM
5 Year Member
did you put the plastic bags over the brakes or did they?

Old 07-20-2008, 07:28 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
sorry to hear. the factory wheel locks are effective but not
so effective...

it really depends on where you park your car. your best bet is to
get a non-Honda wheelset from a tire store and put those on. if
you get replacement Honda wheels and park in the same area
you're probably going to get those stolen too. if your car
is a 08 you need to get the tire pressure monitor transmitters
too..those are kinda pricy...if you dont want the TPMS light
to come on.

its funny how the factory wheelsets have more value than
aftermarket wheelsets for this car.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:54 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
theres thousands of different keys to the locks. I got mcgards for all of my cars, and theres also splinedrives. sure you need two keys, but anything to inconvenience would be thieves helps a ton. Like my accord has 3 starter disables, backup systems, backup power, and 160dB sirens hidden in all of my A/C vents. You set off my alarm, its painful to get into the car. I used to have the stereo hooked up to the alarm so when it went off it had 3 1200 watt amps blaring horrible alarm sound. That one i took out because of the disarm sequence being a pain.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:08 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mbfavreau
So, are you guys generally in favor of using wheel locks other than what Honda offers? There are a lot of them on ebay that are Honda but if people go after Honda's in general, is there only one key? Wouldn't they have that already?

Are there different locks sizes for different lug sizes? Would I get those at a Pep Boys or other auto shop or ebay or where? I've never had to buy anything extra for any of my other Hondas so please forgive the ignorance.

And where would I go for rims and tires if not the dealership? a custom shop? Would aftermarkets be worth less and therefore not as desireable to steal? I just want to do whatever I can to deter them coming back again for an easy kill...

Thanks for all the advice thus far, guys.
Honda locks are pretty much the same as any other lock IMO... they just cost more.

An important note though is if you get after market wheels you may require tapered or non-tapered lugs & locks. Also required is a hub-centric ring (which should be provided by the place you buy your wheels from). I would suggest you get a full package from a tire shop, let them know you want a set of locks and they will hook you up with everything you need.

After market rims are actually MORE desirable as they generally allow people to set their car apart from the herd a bit. I would highly suggest you get locks for after market rims even over OEM ones.

also;

Lip = Front ground effects
Skirts = Side Ground effects
Ground effects = Body parts they make the vehicle appear to be lower and more sporty

Old 07-20-2008, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member
Took me less than 1 mins to get my broken wheel lock off yesterday. IF they want the wheels, or anything, they are going to get it.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:46 PM
5 Year Member
was talkin to a friend of mine and he says the main reason theyre stealing em is for the tires not the stock rims? apparently they can get more money for the tires than they can the rims.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
1. Would you all assume that the insurance company will give me the check as opposed to send it to a place for repair?

2. Do tire stores come out and make house calls? I obviously can't drive it.

3. or would I have them sent to a mechanic where the car is towed and they would put them on there?

4. I'm just stressed about the logistics now. Should I be calling tire places before the adjuster even comes out? Mention the tire pressure sensors and the wheel locks.

5. Some guys mentioned different set of wheel locks and I've seen full gorilla sets (16 or 20 in a set etc) but the Honda ones are just 4 (one per tire). Does it matter if ALL my lugs are locks or just 2 of 4 on each wheel?

The help I'm getting here is invaluable. I appreciate all of your knowledge and experience. Thanks, everybody!

Old 07-20-2008, 03:12 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Youre going to have to call your insurance company. Theyll send for a truck to pick up your car. How they get it there is beyond me. They have their ways. Or leave the car like that, maybe support it so it doesnt fall to the ground? Buy a wheel/tire package and install the new wheels yourself.

Youll have to pay your deductible and theyll give you the cost of the OEM wheels and tires. Roughly $1000.

Id take that $1000 and get different wheels. Check tirerack for wheel/tire packages. Most are under $1000. Youll should have money left over for some nice lugs and locks.

The OEM Sport wheels get stolen often. It just happens as theyre new Honda 4lug wheels. Ive seen about 5 Fits in my area on bricks.
I actually got a picture of a white one recently. Now theyre on some nice 16in wheels.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:39 PM
Instead of installing one set of wheel locks, why not buy and install 4 different sets of wheel locks? This should slow down a thief (pr*ck) to the point he may give up. This is what I plan to do when and if i buy the new 09.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
Guys, I hate to keep adding to the drama of this case but attached are pictures taken after they "towed" the car away. What they were supposed to do is the towing company was supposed to bring four junk tires, put them on and then tow the car. Based on the scratches and gauges in the driveway, it looks like something was dragged.

The tow company failed to notify me of when the tow guy would be there so I could meet the car. In stead, I had to deliver the keys to the body shop where the car was lying on crudely balanced blocks of wood. The guy at the shop wouldn't even let me get the couple of things I needed from the car. He got them instead because the car was clearly not secured.

It wasn't until I got home that I discovered this. The jack isn't even lowered so it looks like the car was forced off of it, the cinder block has fresh scrapes on it and how do you explain the scrapes in the driveway?

I sent these pictures to my insurance adjuster asking what happened (the towing company and the body shop it is at was arranged through them) and will wait to hear back tomorrow.

For legal reasons, I'm not going to name the insurance company, towing company or body shop BUT guys, do I need a lawyer here? This is a nationally recognized insurance company with a very good adjuster who did right by me last time I had a problem (two weeks ago I totaled my 97 accord by hitting a deer which is how I got the Fit).

Old 07-21-2008, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by samsvoc
Instead of installing one set of wheel locks, why not buy and install 4 different sets of wheel locks? This should slow down a thief (pr*ck) to the point he may give up. This is what I plan to do when and if i buy the new 09.

haha that's actually kinda funny... but that might work, still probably at the same time irritating the thieves causing them to key your car or break a window.. screwed if you do, screwed if your don't... i forgot what a huge target hondas are

Old 07-21-2008, 10:16 PM
I got my Fit about the time you got yours. I wasn't even thinking about getting wheel locks. Then the dealer told me theives came into their locked gated area and stole the Alloys off the Fits in there. They have neighbors right behind them and no one heard anything.

Needless to say I have the wheel locks.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
Guys, I hate to keep adding to the drama of this case but attached are pictures taken after they "towed" the car away. What they were supposed to do is the towing company was supposed to bring four junk tires, put them on and then tow the car. Based on the scratches and gauges in the driveway, it looks like something was dragged.

The tow company failed to notify me of when the tow guy would be there so I could meet the car. In stead, I had to deliver the keys to the body shop where the car was lying on crudely balanced blocks of wood. The guy at the shop wouldn't even let me get the couple of things I needed from the car. He got them instead because the car was clearly not secured.

It wasn't until I got home that I discovered this. The jack isn't even lowered so it looks like the car was forced off of it, the cinder block has fresh scrapes on it and how do you explain the scrapes in the driveway?

I sent these pictures to my insurance adjuster asking what happened (the towing company and the body shop it is at was arranged through them) and will wait to hear back tomorrow.

For legal reasons, I'm not going to name the insurance company, towing company or body shop BUT guys, do I need a lawyer here? This is a nationally recognized insurance company with a very good adjuster who did right by me last time I had a problem (two weeks ago I totaled my 97 accord by hitting a deer which is how I got the Fit).

wow that is horrible... it kinda looks like they took it off of the jack and cinder block, set the car on it's rotors and towed it on the truck which totally effed up. at least the way the car was it was somewhat OK... i don't know what advice to give you.. i feel really bad for you, its just so messed up

they probably ruined the rotors and scraped a lot of the underbody too which is what all of that white is.. not to mention they totally screwed up your driveway too... you can't fix gouges in concrete easily

the towing company is totally incompetent and probably caused even more damage to your car, there is no way they put any kind of junk wheels on it. and they had no right to keep you away, it is your car! oh man if i knew who towed that car i would tear into him. they should have never touched the car

Last edited by Fat Ping Cat; 07-21-2008 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:29 PM

I don't know about a lawyer. By the looks from the pictures it was obviously damaging to your rotors, suspention, etc. So you need to be vigil when you get it back with new alloys.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:32 PM
I'd be all up on my adjuster showing them the pictures and telling them they need to get over to the shop and inspect the bottom of the car before they clean it up. Ins. should pay for your stolen wheels but looks like the towing company needs to pay for dragging your car down the driveway!!

Old 07-21-2008, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member
not only wheels now but probably rotors too... you may need a lawyer, that towing service has shown complete negligence in how they handled your car, they should be held responsible for any damage

Old 07-21-2008, 10:45 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
I would have just bought rims. Reporting theft after an accident can screw your rates. Reporting to the cops doesn't do anything. Insurance raises your rates. Take the hit and buy the rims you were gonna get anyway. I have had a similar decision to make in the past. Now your car is beat up when instead of payin 500 bux and having your vehicle compromised, You could be out an extra 3-500 and have a better ride.

But shit happens, every day. Make sure you take the vehicle to a competent shop, you don't have to bring it to the insurance companies first pick, you can have your vehicle repaired anywhere, and you have enough photographic evidence that your vehicle wasn't properly towed. Tow companies have clauses with roadsides and insurance companies, so your insurance takes the hit and sees a second claim but for a higher dollar amount and reanalyze you as a risk/asset. So ask around who the best shop is and take it to them. Quality trumps price or insurance preference any day. Take it to professionals. I have worked in Automotive/Powersports my whole life. Do it Right the First Time!!!

Old 07-21-2008, 11:18 PM
5 Year Member
wheels locks aren't that fool proof. I have a set of spring loaded sockets made for removing any wheel locks. also wheel locks are a bitch when you have a flat on the side of the road.
and I don't care what anyone says you should report to your because that is what you pay for. if your rates go up then change companys!

Old 07-22-2008, 12:35 AM
5 Year Member
I think I would be talking to a lawyer for sure. That towing company easily did more damage to your car then you already had. And now the damage to the driveway. Even if it doesnt matter to you, I'd be making them pay to get the driveway repaired as well, on principle. Thats totally F'd up right there. I'd be beyond livid if I were you.

It actually makes me angry just looking at those new pics now.

Quick Reply: all 4 wheels stolen from Blue Sport AT - one week old