General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Why ? Anyone noticed ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member
Why ? Anyone noticed ?

I wait until my empty gas light on and go fuel it up, but I usually get around 8.5-9 gallons (NOT 10.5)..

I JUST DONT GET IT ? happen on 3 tanks already

Old 07-15-2008, 10:17 PM
reserve

perhaps the reserve?

Old 07-15-2008, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by feddup
perhaps the reserve?
Most likely this. I also noticed that the less freeway my baby gets, the less gets pumped in the car (I don't know how to phrase that but if I do 100% city, maybe 8.5 gallons; if I do 75% city, 9 gallons). I fill up almost immediately after the light goes on.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:29 PM
iunno either. ill run my shit like 50 miles once the gas light came on and then i filled up. still only took like 9.8

Old 07-16-2008, 01:51 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
there is still gas in the tank when the empty light comes on, so you won't be able to put in a full tank's worth of gas. but you probably figured that out already because if that weren't the case, your engine would stall as soon as the empty light comes on, and you would never get a chance to drive it to the station to fill it up.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:16 PM
Read your Owner's Manual. It details the use of the light and tank reserve. You should have about 1.7 gallons in the tank when the light comes on, and there is a small reserve at E.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:59 AM
5 Year Member
When my light comes on, I can typically pump 9.1 or 9.2 gallons (slow pump, first click shutoff). That's pretty consistent.

--Barry

Old 07-21-2008, 09:05 AM
That is about right. Now, your fluctuation will come from the pump and how your car is parked at the pump. If you look at gas stations from a distance you will usually see that they are not on flat ground but you will notice that they slope. Some slope more than others and the way you car is parked will affect the amount of fuel pumped.

Also, I have driven 85.1 miles on empty BUT that was because I achieved 56mpg on that tank driving 607miles and I filled up 10.7 gallons as well.

Old 08-03-2008, 03:40 PM
When I was going though Chicago on the I-294 back to Michigan my fuel light came on right after an oasis. If I remember right the next oasis wasn't for another 20 miles or so. I was scared out of my mind that i was going to run my Fit dry. When I got to the oasis, I filled it up to 10.0 gallons.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pb and h
Also, I have driven 85.1 miles on empty BUT that was because I achieved 56mpg on that tank driving 607miles and I filled up 10.7 gallons as well.
Eeek. That'll make ya pucker up for the last little bit.

How low was the needle? WAY past 'E'? Do you have a picture?

Old 08-05-2008, 07:41 PM
yeah, I was sweating literally and figuratively.

here is the pic:
Name:  IMG00203.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  30.3 KB

Old 08-05-2008, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member
Also, I have driven 85.1 miles on empty BUT that was because I achieved 56mpg on that tank driving 607miles and I filled up 10.7 gallons as well.[/quote]

ARE YOU KIDDING ME ? ...you achieved 56 MPG ? holly molly....better than prius ? Is this for real ? if yes, must be your best....

Old 08-05-2008, 08:02 PM
Yes, true but not my best, my best has been 61.5mpg. There is another guy on cleanmpg.com that has achieved almost 63mpg. Cleanmpg.com is where all the gurus give good advice. I just try and relay the info from there and what my personal experiences have been.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
If you want 60 you can't go faster than 50mph and just on a pulse. The same Fit Shawn mentioned has gone over 70mpg on a 50 mile to and from trip more than once.

The Fit MT is very capable with a good driver not in a hurry

Old 08-05-2008, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by pb and h
Yes, true but not my best, my best has been 61.5mpg. There is another guy on cleanmpg.com that has achieved almost 63mpg. Cleanmpg.com is where all the gurus give good advice. I just try and relay the info from there and what my personal experiences have been.

Flippin sweet Shawn!

Paul, have you broke the 60mph barrier? Is this tank it?

--D

Last edited by Rockrover; 08-05-2008 at 11:14 PM. Reason: x
Old 08-06-2008, 02:46 AM
Originally Posted by AppleMac*Fit
Eeek. That'll make ya pucker up for the last little bit.

How low was the needle? WAY past 'E'? Do you have a picture?
Has anyone ever mentioned the fact that an image of a trip odometer reading 500+ miles or 600+ miles is not proof of anything other than someone did not reset their trip odometer since that many miles. One of the images show 529 miles while the gas gauge indicates 3/4 full. Did the poster actually get 529 miles on one tank? Who knows? Maybe he did. I have no reason to doubt him. However, my point is, if just the image itself was sole proof then I could just neglect resetting my trip odometer for a couple of thousand miles, take a photo of it with the needle on empty, and claim I did it . That would not be proof. Just a thought.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:11 AM
5 Year Member
Did the poster actually get 529 miles on one tank? Who knows? Maybe he did. I have no reason to doubt him.
So you question in and then answer your question or back down all in the same note

I'm sure your point is being made because you have never been able to get the FE that some of us get, so you just don't believe our claims. O well We have seen that many times.

My pic was as I was filling and remembered I forgot the pic so just took one. Other than one other poster on here that has a bogus picture mine will be corrected Wed as I get closer to 600.

Here look this over maybe you will feel better about my results or your doubts of my honesty.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:19 AM
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
So you question in and then answer your question or back down all in the same note

I'm sure your point is being made because you have never been able to get the FE that some of us get, so you just don't believe our claims. O well We have seen that many times.

My pic was as I was filling and remembered I forgot the pic so just took one. Other than one other poster on here that has a bogus picture mine will be corrected Wed as I get closer to 600.

Here look this over maybe you will feel better about my results or your doubts of my honesty.

For you to reach a 600 mile tank you must either:
1. increase your mileage to 52.99 MPG.
2. cram 12.85 gallons into your 10.9 gallon tank.
or some incremental improvement of each.
The highest mileage you have achieved is only 50.06 MPH and that
was for only 4.26 gallons. Other than that, your highest is 48.57.
You have your work cut out for you, but I figure you like challenges .

It is true that I have never achieved the mileage that you claim to. I'm
quite content with averaging only 36.9 MPG after 12,300 miles, but I
could alter my spreadsheet to show that I averaged 62 MPG, and post it
on here if I wanted to, but would that mean that anyone would believe it?
I don't think so. I have no idea if your claim is correct, nor does it matter
to me. I'm just saying that a photo and/or a spreadsheet is no proof

Old 08-06-2008, 06:15 AM
5 Year Member
I'm just saying that a photo and/or a spreadsheet is no proof
It's easy for me to take that as, with more than normal proof, you are calling me a possible lier and that's offensive.

Maybe it would be wise to underderstand how law works in American. Not guilty till proven otherwise . What's your evidence to show I'm making all this up gezzz I still think you are upset because you can't get close to that.

O and as I said I'm on a 53.5MPG tank now. Doubt you see any fit with almost 500 miles and the E light "just on" with anything less. I'll get 600 today or run out of gas trying! Only 2 other on here did that

Last edited by pcs0snq; 08-06-2008 at 06:18 AM.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
It's easy for me to take that as, with more than normal proof, you are calling me a possible lier and that's offensive.

Maybe it would be wise to underderstand how law works in American. Not guilty till proven otherwise . What's your evidence to show I'm making all this up gezzz I still think you are upset because you can't get close to that.
1. I am neither calling you a lier (sic) nor a liar.
2. I understand how law works in America.
3. If you think I have defamed you, then sue me for libel.
4. I never said you were guilty of anything; I just said a photo or spreadsheet is not proof of your claim.
5. I have no evidence you are making it up, nor do I have any evidence you are not.
6. I don't care what mileage you get. I only care what mileage I get.

Quick Reply: Why ? Anyone noticed ?