General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Honda Paint Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 05:46 PM
Honda Paint Opinions

Hi! I'm a new member and have been scanning the boards to see what I can learn about Honda paint. In one post someone said "cheapo Honda paint". This concerns me, as this is my first Honda. Has anyone had any trouble with thier paint when they have not bought the $500 dollar "seal and protect" paint and interior package at the dealer? At least my dealer here in Texas was pushing that. And I'm thinking, is the paint that bad that you have to sell me $500 bucks worth of paint protection?! Any info and opinions will be greatly appreciated!!

PS - Hi Fit people!! I like this forum!!

Old 07-15-2008, 05:48 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
the paint isnt THAT bad. The biggest problem was the chipping from the fender areas due to rubbing. Other than that I have had NO problems.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:52 PM
Fender areas, due to rubbing. What was rubbing? Otherwise, that's wonderful news! Thanks!

Last edited by PodRacerGirl; 07-15-2008 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:00 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by PodRacerGirl
Fender areas, due to rubbing. What was rubbing? Otherwise, that's wonderful news! Thanks!
I dont think its a issue anymore on the new ones, but the older 07's... bumper would start to peel due to rubbing on the fender. It can be fixed easily with a tiny washer.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member
the paint isnt great... but it is a 15K car... the paint protect package unless i am mistaken is like wax... not worth it... butter to save that 500 for something else!

Old 07-15-2008, 10:10 PM
My car has 1500 miles. No paint issues yet. Just a ding/scratch on the rear driverside door probably from a pebble or something small. Just make sure you wash your car/spray detailer at least once a week, and wax it once a month to protect it. That's what I do because I'm pretty damn OCD with this car, mostly due to black being impossible to keep clean. My last few cars I treated like complete shit inside and out. Oh and welcome to our information center we call a forum

Last edited by trancedsailor; 07-15-2008 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:16 PM
6500 miles on BBP and no problems so far. The paint may not be the thickest in the industry, but it looks good. I did prep work for a dealer for a few months while out of work and the paint protection that we used is a two step wax process. We charged $200 5 years ago and I thought that was high, it is not worth the $500 that they get now.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:03 PM
I had Rok Blok installed last week. We have it on our Roadster and it's been fabulous. So we got that instead of the dealership protection package. I commute on the interstate and we make regular trips on the Mass Pike, so it is sheer self-defense.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:27 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
the paint on my FitS is fine. drive 3seconds behind the car infront of you
and most of the time debris will not hit your front bumper.

remove dead bugs, bug stains, bird crap as soon as possible.
they will etch most every paint out there. ive seen some bug
stains bubble under the paint on subaru's due to its acid.

keep a good coat of wax at all times. highly recommend
spray wax while you dry your car (Prima Hydro) after a wash.

clearbra works great especially on darker colors. I dont use one
on my silver cause the impact points on clearbra shows up as
dark gray marks...looks just as bad.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:45 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
the paint sucks. if you saw my car (2 years old) you would think it was over 10! my entire front end needs a re-paint. NHBP.

don't shoot me, this is my experience with the paint

Old 07-18-2008, 05:10 PM
Thanks SO much!

Hey everyone! Thank you SO much repling and letting me know your experiences. I'm a bit OCD too and I have a great wax I like that I used on my RX8 - it's called IBIZ and can protect your car from spray paint even!! I also have that "in between detailer" someone metioned. So it looks like I'm set for a while in the protection area. Plus, I pay to park inside at work, and park in a three sided carport at home. So, that's got to be good too.

Yay! It seems, if I'm careful, things will be great.

Sorry to hear about your rock chip situation last guy. ( That sucks! Still good gas mileage though. )

Old 07-18-2008, 06:35 PM
Yeah you should be good as long as you don't slack and go like 6 months without a freshwater washdown on it. That in between detailer stuff is the SHIZ. It rained yesterday and today my car still looks clean as hell with some waterbeads scattered about. I like the way cars look when they're a little wet lol anyway have fun with your Fit, glad we could help.

Old 07-19-2008, 04:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gimme
the paint sucks. if you saw my car (2 years old) you would think it was over 10! my entire front end needs a re-paint. NHBP.

don't shoot me, this is my experience with the paint

Ditto. I spend majority of time on the freeway, and my NHBP hood is shot totally full of holes, looks easily 10x worse than my 9 year old '99 Jetta. I'm thinking to repaint next year. Plus anything on the paint >24 hours eats the shine since there is no clear coat. Top is not great after 2 years already.

Last edited by xorbe; 07-19-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:55 PM
Would there be a noticable difference in paint durability between the TW and SSM? I hate washing my cars and want something that will look at least a little clean for as long as possible.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 07-19-2008, 11:05 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ProMed
Would there be a noticable difference in paint durability between the TW and SSM? I hate washing my cars and want something that will look at least a little clean for as long as possible.

get the SSM. white will look dirty for you

Old 07-20-2008, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by ProMed

If you hate washing cars, I suggest black. It never needs to be washed. I'm convinced it washes itself /sarcasm

silver I think would hide dirt a bit better than white. Either/or really.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by trancedsailor
silver I think would hide dirt a bit better than white. Either/or really.
Thanks for the advice tranced & gimme, you've been repped!

Old 07-21-2008, 07:52 PM
Banned
I believe the opposite the lighter the color the cleaner it appears. My 12 year old Jetta was white and always looked like I had just washed it ten minutes ago even after driving on gravel roads, whereas my forest green Avenger looks filthy anytime it gets dusty/wet/dirty.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by Gbaby2089
I believe the opposite the lighter the color the cleaner it appears. My 12 year old Jetta was white and always looked like I had just washed it ten minutes ago even after driving on gravel roads, whereas my forest green Avenger looks filthy anytime it gets dusty/wet/dirty.
Thanks for the reply, +1 for you. This is what I was thinking as well, before reading a few other threads. I had a 94 accord and it always seemed clean "enough"... lol.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:36 PM
Hello.

I just became a member today because I wanted to see if others where having problems with the paint on their Honda Fits. I've only owned my white Honda Fit for 4 1/2 months and already there is paint chipping on the frame that goes around the tire where the passenger back door meets! I see that some people are having paint chipping problems as well. It is disheartening to see this happening, particularly since this is more or less an occasional car for me. Other than this issue, I'm quite happy with my car so far.

Quick Reply: Honda Paint Opinions