General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Who Regrets NOT Buying The FIT S And Is Over 35?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member
heh not gonna lie, i only got the S because of the added speakers and the body kit.

but im younger than 35..

Old 07-15-2008, 04:12 PM
Bought The Base, Paid Cash Now Have Cash To Buy Expensive Toy

My car is a daily driver and we average 30k a year. Last time I spent 800 bucks on alloy wheels I loved them for 2 months. After that I wish I had my 800 bucks! So for me I think it was a wise choice to save that amount of money considering I refuse to pay financing ripoff charges. ONLY CASH!

Old 07-15-2008, 04:49 PM
Banned
I was 20 years old more than 2o years ago, and never bought a BASE ANYTHING in my life. No put down intended for any Base owners. I demand Cruise Control, the best optional sound system, would pay to add fog lights, and just prefer the style of the Sport over the very plain Base. The Fit is not the most beautiful car in the world, but for the small extra price over the Base model, I felt that it was worth the extra price in looks and comfort/performance. I HATE plastic hub caps on little steel wheels.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:40 PM
Just turned 35, would not have bought the base Fit if it was the only option.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member
I qualify for this topic on two of three counts - over 35, bought base. I don't qualify on the third - I don't regret it. I don't like the body skirts and don't need cruise on this vehicle because I'd never use it.

I added fogs, alloys, keyless entry, and an mp3 player that uses USB flash memory.

Last edited by Rob22315; 07-16-2008 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:48 PM
imo they undercharge for the upgrade to the sport model. i love the look and need most of the features (not that i WANT them to charge more- lol)

Old 07-15-2008, 06:05 PM
this is why there is more than one model of car, people need/want different things. i think ac is a safety feature here because it rains so much and the inside gets fogged up, so i would never have a car without ac.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:52 PM
Old School/Keep It Simple

I'm way old, but young at heart. Got the MT base 3 weeks ago. I like ground effects and spoilers on F1 cars but not mine. Pulled the OEM steelies and saved 6.5 lbs per corner with new 15" Konig Heliums and Yokohoma S Drives. (Shaved the rear bumper cover plastic mounting in the wheel well to eliminate rubbing.)

Saved 40 lbs of the Sport add ons. I like unsprung weight savings and power to weight ratios.

The car is great! 66.7 slalom speed, .87 lateral G's. 0-60 in 8.6. I've got 700 miles on it. The break in is done, the mold lube is off of the tires, and now I can really drive it.

Got 31.5 in town on the first tank and 35.0 highway on the second. Life is good. This is a great site, thanks to all!

Old 07-15-2008, 11:47 PM
J_L
5 Year Member
I turned 35 back in the last millennium and didn't even consider the base model. The price difference for the sport model was a bargain IMO.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:49 AM
5 Year Member
im not 30+ but keyless entry, 6speakers, and crusie control is what sold me on the FIT Sport. I could careless about the fogs/ground effects/leather wrap steering. although i dont use cc much, its nice to know that its there on the longer trips.

Last edited by fork_nSpoon; 07-16-2008 at 12:53 AM.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:12 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
First car I have ever had with cruise control..... I can never go back now! Not quite 35, but I am on my way

(Comparing with the LX trim in Canada - 2200$ less than sport)

I also was drawn in by the exterior good looks and MP3 player, fogs & leather wrap steering wheel (just feels nicer on the hands). The stereo is great quality as well, first car I haven't ripped to shreds to put new speakers in actually.

Other things I am glad about is the standard security system, I am a nervous wreck about my cars so this is a must have item. The last aftermarket one I had was kind of a noisy pain in the ass. Keyless entry and Security is almost a 600$ upgrade here for the LX.

I could have done without the 15" sport rims, I just use them for winter tires anyway.

Bottom line is if you try to add even a few items of these to your LX you can easily drive the price up past the Sport. I think it represents good value.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:23 AM
5 Year Member
I have a FIT S AT with HFP (Or HPF?) Wheels and the sports grill back then... So basically its the FULL PACKAGE. But much of the things have already been part out ever since I did my JDM Conversion and put in a bunch of other things.

Is the Price difference worth between the base and the S? IMO, if you are gonna change the wheels and add body kit to a stock, then I think the S is a better deal (since it comes with at 15" allow + Body Kit). Also, you get the paddle shifters and cruise control, which are just some of the few things why I got the S to begin with

Do I regret about getting an S since I part out pretty much everything? NO... cos at the end, I did get around 80% value of those parts back, and it really helped me save a lot as I did my conversion. But then againn, maybe cos my Fit is a NHBP so theres a lot of demand for parts that color (such as Headlight, foglight casing, and spoiler)

Old 07-16-2008, 10:31 AM
5 Year Member
I am > 45 even. I bought the Fit because the RX-8 only manages to get 14 mpg, and further, it's a really poor vehicle when you need to haul tubafores and pvc pipe, and large boxes from Home Depot. The Fit fits perfectly in the things that the 8 can't do.

As someone previously said, BBP was not available in the base model, and it was the only color that I seriously considered. So I never crossed that bridge. Glad I got it the Sport model, though. Feels complete.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by morganplus4
I have not regretted buying the base model. I do miss the remote locks but will add soon at a modest cost ($70). The radio is fine, the tires seem to hold well (14" - cheap also). No regrets on buying the base. The sport was about $1300 more.
Still looking for a simple cargo area mat that works when the seats are down and up - any ideas?
One FitFreaker went to Lowes and bought some cheap heavy duty rubber backed carpeting. It can be cut to whatever size you need - just the cargo area, or the whole, seats-folded-down, area behind the front seats or whatever you need in between.

Here's a link:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...ht=lowes+cargo

Old 07-17-2008, 12:24 AM
Originally Posted by NJ-Fit
The seats are the same in both models. The sport gives you the body kit, fogs, 6 vs 4 speakers, upgraded radio, (mps aux input, more watts) bigger and bigger alloy wheels (15 v 14) so imo it was worth it unless you plan on upgrading all that stuff anyway.
The sport also gives you a leather steering wheel. I bought it for that reason alone. In the air bag age, replacing a plastic steering wheel with a leather wrapped wheel can be spendy. Depending on the car, upwards of $1000.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:17 AM
Well... lets see.

1) I don't like tacked on body kit bits. They don't look cool to me and they just lower the ground clearance and wind up geting smacked on curbs.

2) I have never used cruise control in any of my cars that had it.

3) Fog lights are pointless unless they are yellow and even then I don't encounter much fog. I've never been like "damn I wish i had 2 little lights in my bumper right now, I'd be able to see SOOO much better"

4) More speakers and few more watts and the ipod thing, thats a good upgrade even though I don't have an iPod. Keyless entry is nice to have. Leather steering wheel I could care less.

What else? Alloy wheels look nice, but I'm neutral on having or not having then.

Overall all the important things that I wanted, came in the base model at a lower price (which matters when you are paying cash) and without the slapped on bits of body lowering trim that I would rather not have.

Only things I would want would be the upgraded stereo and the keyless entry. Not worth the difference in price for me. I've already installed keyless entry and it's inevitable that I will upgrade my stereo anyway to something a good deal better than what I would have gotten on the sport.

SO.. nope I don't regret buying the Fit Sport and I am 35 1/2 for the record.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:18 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by WGE
Not me. We bought two Fits and both were the base 5-speed manuals. By not getting the sport models we saved the $800 price differential twice.
Not faulting your reasons for choosing a Base over a Sport, but that statement is not exactly true. When you look at the total cost of owning a car, resale value comes into play. So far Fit Sports are returning their higher initial cost and then some in the used market, when compared to the Base models:

2007 Honda Fit Drivetrain Engine Trans* TMV
2007 Honda Fit Sedan (5 Dr Hatchback)
Base FWD1.5L I4Manual$13,245

Base FWD1.5L I4Auto$13,981

Sport FWD1.5L I4Manual$14,458

Sport FWD1.5L I4Auto$15,195

Old 07-17-2008, 01:49 PM
I am 34 so I guess that is close enough to 35.

Reasons I bought the sport.

Body kit:
IMO FIT's with out a body kit look cheap. They remind me of an old Geo Metro.

Fog Lights:
I live out in the country so 50% of my driving is on two lane dark roads. The fog lights make a big difference in lighting up the road. It is too bad that they turn off when the high beams are on.

Cruse Control:
Since I live in Northern California most of our highways are flat with few hills. It is very nice to set it to 65-70 and let the car do the driving esp since I have an hour commute one way to work.

Remote Locks:
I could not imagine not having them. Back when I had cars with out them I always had to check the passenger doors due to friend jumping out of the car and not locking the doors.

Stereo:
Since I have both and ipod and an iphone I used the aux jack every day. The 6 speaker system is nice. I have noticed that it sounds better than my old RSX stock system. (of course people can allways just buyafter market speakers) but like the body kit the anything after makret becomes more $$ than just paying the extra for the sport. I belive that the sport sterio is the only one that can play MP3's off a CD. I allways keep an MP3 cd in the unit just incase I dont have my ipod and I am out in bfe where I cant pick up local stations.

Sport Auto:
For me the sport auto is the best of both worlds. I allready own manual cars and wanted an Auto for times when I am stuck in the 5 oclock bumper to bumper traffic. Being able to put it in sport and shift though the gears on the stering wheel is the best. I don't use it alot but the it has been nice to have on the days that I do.

I can understand why some guys (esp non Californians) would hate the body kit. I remeber reading a few posts where guys tore the body kit off after they bought the car.

If none of the extra features are needed then don't waste the money moving to a sport but if you like the fetures than the extra price is more than worth it. Just a body kit is going to cost you more than the differance between the base and the sport.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:00 PM
Hey, I'm 2(35)+2 and have a Fit S auto. I'm averaging 33 plus a few tenths mpg combined city & hwy. Probably 25% city 75% hwy. I'd like to get a Scan Gauge to see what the actual hwy mileage is at different speeds. Fortunately we've got a lot of flat open roads around here, I think it would be interesting to try this. Anybody out there have a SG, and whats it take to hook it up?
Thanks

Old 07-17-2008, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by pops
Hey, I'm 2(35)+2 and have a Fit S auto. I'm averaging 33 plus a few tenths mpg combined city & hwy. Probably 25% city 75% hwy. I'd like to get a Scan Gauge to see what the actual hwy mileage is at different speeds. Fortunately we've got a lot of flat open roads around here, I think it would be interesting to try this. Anybody out there have a SG, and whats it take to hook it up?
Thanks
There is already a huge sticky thread on this subject.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/eco-...highlight=scan

Quick Reply: Who Regrets NOT Buying The FIT S And Is Over 35?