General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

What about performance mods?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 08:01 PM
What about performance mods?

Has anyone had experience with intakes and the like? What do they do to your gas mileage? I love the look of the carbon fiber stuff but don't want to ruin my mileage.

Thanks!

Old 07-10-2008, 08:04 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
I had a negligible change in mileage with my CAI around the city, however on the highway it had increased.

I recorded some recent mileage;
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/eco-...w-mileage.html

Old 07-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
I recently just put my OEM airbox back on (had the Aspec Cold air) and my MPG got worse. This is as per my current mileage at half tank.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
with my custom intake.

city driving mileage stayed the same.

on the highway it increased about 1-2 mpg

Old 07-13-2008, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
i'm running a fujita SRI, a skunk2 50mm catback, and a 2-inch drop. i get 45mpg at 60mph. Auto Fit. Yeah son!

Doug

Old 07-13-2008, 07:43 PM
5 Year Member
i doubt "performance" mods would help your fuel economy. free-er flowing intake and exhaust will make you use more throttle to go the same speed/distance.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
i doubt "performance" mods would help your fuel economy. free-er flowing intake and exhaust will make you use more throttle to go the same speed/distance.
why are you always so skeptical?

Old 07-13-2008, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Burbio
why are you always so skeptical?
im not. but until i see REAL #'s, i dont believe in strut bars and i dont believe in modding the fit with intake and exhaust to get better fuel economy

Old 07-13-2008, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member
^ so you'll believe it if tis proven on a scan gauge or something?

Old 07-13-2008, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitftw
^ so you'll believe it if tis proven on a scan gauge or something?
i want to see some dyno #'s regarding strutbars :P.

but, think about it. why WOULD adding intake and exhaust help your fuel economy?

we dont use horsepower to drive on the street and get good fuel economy, we use torque

Old 07-13-2008, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
it might be because of the the higher air intake/flow. but im no expert so i dont know how it works. jsut know that it does.

regarding the whole strut bar thing. imo its there for looks with very little performance pluses.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:05 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
i want to see some dyno #'s regarding strutbars :P.

but, think about it. why WOULD adding intake and exhaust help your fuel economy?

we dont use horsepower to drive on the street and get good fuel economy, we use torque
Check the dynos. Stock the Fit runs really rich. Adding an intake leans the AFR's out. Its common sense. More air and same amount of fuel means leaner AFR mixture.

And like I said. After installing my OEM airbox back my MPG fell. I would normally get 34-36mpg city on every tank.
Filled up last night and got 31mpg.

Strut bars wont add MPG. Depending on how many you have it can hurt MPG due to weight.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
I am Ray – the most effective performance modification, without a doubt, is your driving skills (i.e., street smart); put differently, are you willing to enhance better mileage instead emphasizing on cosmetic appearance in the name of speed?

Damien

Old 07-13-2008, 10:34 PM
It's a restriction issue. Less restriction = less load.
less load = less power needed to performs the task at hand.

If you carry a bucket up a set of stairs at .2mph and carry the same bucket full of water up the stairs at .2mph you will burn more calories carrying the full bucket because of the increased load on your body. -same concept.

I&E has been proven over and over the increase fuel economy in MOST products across the board. Though it is true that you will need to depress the gas peddle down the relative amount, the engine does not have to work as hard to maintain the speed/power you are trying to achieve.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:12 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Depends, you can get power one of two ways; Make the car more efficient or add more air/fuel to the engine.

Take a mod like the UR pulley's, they have proven gas mileage increases especially in city environments. Less weight on the crank means the engine does not have to work as hard, makes for better performance and mileage. Another thing might be transmission and engine oil.

For air intake systems I would expect you would get a reduced mileage in theory (although there hasn't been much evidence of this).

I think for exhuast that falls into the efficiency category. You would also get an increase in mileage just because you are reducing the back pressure on the engine. With the exhuast leaving more freely the engine does not have to labor as hard to push out the exhuast on that cycle.

The last thing that is a factor is having enough power so the engine does not labor and waste fuel when you push it. If you are going up a hill and you go WOT or just half and you get the same power then when you stomp the gas I believe you are just dumping unnecessary fuel because the load is too great on the engine. A great example of this is some older Chevy pickups; when you compare the real world highway mileage of the V8 and V6, the V8 killed the V6 in both power and mileage!

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-14-2008 at 01:19 AM.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:30 AM
5 Year Member
with reduced back pressure, you have less torque.

have you driven a car with an open header? it doesn't go anywhere because it has no back pressure

Old 07-14-2008, 01:32 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Still should increase efficiency?

Old 07-14-2008, 01:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
Still should increase efficiency?
peak horsepower, maybe, but you'd have to rev the engine up higher to just drive around. my brother was driving with open header on his del sol *b16a engine*. it is a gutless motor to start, but with the open header, it just wouldn't move out of vtec

Old 07-14-2008, 03:04 AM
5 Year Member
i didnt really see any mpg increases with the SSI, it stayed the relatively the same, i think it's all up to the driver, if your reving past 4k, then its ur shitty driving that's the culprit to ur shitty mpgs

Old 07-14-2008, 08:04 AM
5 Year Member
I have the H-Fit SSI and Tanabe Touring exhaust. I'm planning on getting headers and a B-pipe. I have had 0 changes in MPG in city driving. I do a constant 36mpg in the city. The big difference that the intake made was on the highway. I knowtice that highway speed acceleration is much faster, and for that reason my highway mpg are not accurate, because I enjoy the new sound and feel. I get a little carried away and start playing around with other cars on the highway. Having more freeflowing exhaust helps not only with HP. Having added torque is what gives you better HP. With added torque it is possible to drive around town in a higher gear at lower rpms. The H-Fit SSI addes torque and many headers do such as the T1-R and the Weapon-R.

Thanks,

Josh

Quick Reply: What about performance mods?