General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

A/C usage strategies to maximize mpg

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 05:17 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i just run a/c as i like and drive normal.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JBElliott
We also know that above about 45 mph, the drag on the car decreases the mpg about as much as running the A/C does.

Look at the feedback lol
Toss out the BOGUS infor from those that could give a crap about Eco than
toss out those that have never tested it and guess what you have?

ohhh How do you know that applies to a Fit?

At speed A/C off windows cracked was the best way I could get mpg.

Last edited by pcs0snq; 07-11-2008 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
Look at the feedback lol
Toss out the BOGUS infor from those that could give a crap about Eco than
toss out those that have never tested it and guess what you have?

ohhh How do you know that applies to a Fit?

At speed A/C off windows cracked was the best way I could get mpg.
The drag v. A/C match has been proven empirically.

At 105F no A/C and cracked windows isn't a good idea.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:47 AM
Originally Posted by pb and h
Why is it that women can't tuff it out??? My wife is the same way, A/C on......

same with my girlfriend!

anywho....

I honest to goodness hate the a/c in this car not only does it practically do nothing (until somewhat recently) it kicks the fits @$$ when its on. Drives like a drunk donkey!
When in the rare instances I feel like torturing myself I turn it on and just coast in gear to the stop. Then just leave the fan on (a/c off) on low to keep it bearable.
But when its hot my fit drives like poo anywho (there I said it! yes my Fit is pissing me off now!) ...but when its behaving I luv it and wanna hug it!

Old 07-12-2008, 07:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JBElliott
The drag v. A/C match has been proven empirically.

At 105F no A/C and cracked windows isn't a good idea.
The 2nd point is 100% dependant on the user so it's far from a rule. On the 1st one. SHOW me the data for this on a HONDA FIT. All you will find is generic info on this. Ask anyone with a Fit and a Scan Gauge, don't just take my word for it.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:00 AM
there is no way your going to gain mpg when useing the a/c. but you can greatly cool the interior of your car after its been sitting in the heat by: turning the fan on high, a/c on, recirc. off . so you draw the air from out side. this works best because the air outside is alot cooler then the air inside the car when you first get in. so cooling the less hotter air will be easyier then cooling the hott air in the car. thats less work on the a/c system. once the interior cools down switch it to recirculate. it makes sence give it a shot.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
The 2nd point is 100% dependant on the user so it's far from a rule. On the 1st one. SHOW me the data for this on a HONDA FIT. All you will find is generic info on this. Ask anyone with a Fit and a Scan Gauge, don't just take my word for it.
The Fit is a car and thus obeys the same physics as other cars. The exact mph where the drag is less than the A/C and vice versa might be a function of the car, but the overall effect is the same for all cars. Show me some data that shows otherwise, other than your sketchy anecdotes.

As for the first, heat exhaustion will vary from individual to individual, but again, the effects will be felt by everyone.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by kostik951
there is no way your going to gain mpg when useing the a/c. but you can greatly cool the interior of your car after its been sitting in the heat by: turning the fan on high, a/c on, recirc. off . so you draw the air from out side. this works best because the air outside is alot cooler then the air inside the car when you first get in. so cooling the less hotter air will be easyier then cooling the hott air in the car. thats less work on the a/c system. once the interior cools down switch it to recirculate. it makes sence give it a shot.
The question wasn't to gain mpg using the A/C, but how to affect the mpg the least amount and still use the A/C. To that end your answer makes a lot of sense. I'll give it a shot the next time we run into a patch of 100F+ weather.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:28 PM
dwp
The AC uses about 1 HP at lower revs. Your engine uses about 4 HP just to idle. So running the AC at idle adds another 25% to engine load and noticeably reduces city stop & go fuel economy. On the highway, you car uses about 15 HP to cruise, so using the 1 HP AC on the highway adds only 6% to the engine load (or about 2 mpg worse fuel economy with a Fit).

Old 07-17-2008, 01:33 AM
5 Year Member
I was driving around the San Fernando Valley (Los Angeles) today, from 11:30 to 1:30. It was pretty damn hot. I rolled with no A/C but with the left front and right rear windows cracked 2-3 inches. Try it; you'll be amazed at what a nice cross-breeze that creates.

When my wife is in the car, the A/C is on. At least she is putting up with my driving like a grandpa now. Even on tanks that were part A/C, I've still been getting 42.

--Barry, 08 FS MT BBP

Old 07-17-2008, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member
My 94 RX7 had a really cool device I want to add to my fit.

A vacuum operated switch for the air conditioning compressor.
Of course when you stomp on the gas, engine vacuum drops, so this switch would turn off the compressor clutch under those conditions.

Under cruise or deceleration vacuum goes high, then it would turn on the compressor clutch provided the thermostat calls for it.

Thats a little bit of hybrid theory in use there, making generating power more efficient, and using deceleration, which is basically wasted momentum for comfort. In this scenerio you are putting wasted energy to good use to stay cool on a warm day.

The RX7 used the vacuum switch it to make the car faster obviously, and it would make a Fit faster too (when the air is on) as a bonus!

Last edited by Tork; 07-17-2008 at 11:25 AM. Reason: spelling