General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Windshield stone chips

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 02:38 PM
Windshield stone chips

Hi Guys - Driving along i-85 some stone came flying towards my windshield. I thought there was no harm done but when i washed my car over the weekend i saw a chip in my glass. Really small crack and chip (half cm). Any idea on how to fix it? aside from replacing the whole windshield. Thanks!

Old 07-07-2008, 03:38 PM
5 Year Member
Take it to an auto glass shop, they can most likely repair it. Will cost far less than a new wingshield. I have the tiniest chip right in the line of sight on my Pilot, glass place said it was too small to fix. Damn annoying while driving! May have to take a bat to it and just get the whole thing replaced lol.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:45 PM
If it's only a surface poc mark I'd let it be - you're going to get many more where that came from

Old 07-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Yeah. I saw one product from Autozone called "bullseye". It has this syringe and a pedestal applicator. I might give it a try.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by jhoprodie5
Yeah. I saw one product from Autozone called "bullseye". It has this syringe and a pedestal applicator. I might give it a try.
i had a chipped on my windshield...and it began to spread...

i bought the "bullseye" product.....5 minute DIY......

the spider web completely stopped from spreading......and it's hardly noticeable......

it was like $9.99

Old 07-07-2008, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member
i would get it fixed.. as stated b4 chips will begin to send cracks out... better to fix now than later!

Old 07-07-2008, 07:12 PM
bullseye?

Originally Posted by NaTuReB0Y
i had a chipped on my windshield...and it began to spread...

i bought the "bullseye" product.....5 minute DIY......

the spider web completely stopped from spreading......and it's hardly noticeable......

it was like $9.99
How good are the results? How visible is the chip after the repair?

Old 07-08-2008, 03:42 AM
Originally Posted by feddup
How good are the results? How visible is the chip after the repair?

the results are excellent.....the cracks stopped completely from spreading.....

i will try to take some pictures..........and post them.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:37 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
i've never used the DIY glass repair products so i don't have an opinion on whether or not they work well. but i have had a windshield crack repaired on a previous car of mine. the crack was repaired in that it was sealed and kept from ever spreading, but the crack was still visible, just barely. one tip for you: try to keep dirt particles from going into the crack between now and the time that you repair it. you can try using scotch tape to keep it as clean as you can because the dirtier it gets, the harder it will to make it disappear when you repair it. if it's not just a pit in the glass, but you can actually see a crack, make sure you get it repaired (either by yourself or at an auto glass repair shop), because it will inevitably begin to spread.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:03 AM
amazon

the results are excellent.....the cracks stopped completely from spreading.....

i will try to take some pictures..........and post them.
I'm glad it worked for you. The reviews on amazon were pretty bad. I'll trust fitfreaks a little more than the average amazon customer. The product appeared to be made by permatex which is hardly a "fly by night" company. Does the packaging list chip preparation instructions? I really don't care about the repair being invisible but I'd like for damage to stop where it is. My chips are about half the size of the head of a pin but it still ticks me off (car has 6K).

Old 07-09-2008, 12:53 AM
I'm glad it worked for you. The reviews on amazon were pretty bad. I'll trust fitfreaks a little more than the average amazon customer. The product appeared to be made by permatex which is hardly a "fly by night" company. Does the packaging list chip preparation instructions? I really don't care about the repair being invisible but I'd like for damage to stop where it is. My chips are about half the size of the head of a pin but it still ticks me off (car has 6K).
the kit comes with a razor blade - to clean out the dirt and chipped glass.....

the directions are self-explanatory........the glue will fill in the cracks and prevent it from spreading......

i forgot....i will try to get a picture up tomorrow.....

Old 07-09-2008, 08:02 AM
Thanks!

the kit comes with a razor blade - to clean out the dirt and chipped glass.....
I thought they'd have you use alcohol or something to clean out the chip.

I will try to get a picture up tomorrow.....
Thanks. Pics would be nice before I bake off the cash. My chips are small but I'm trying to be anal this early on in the car's life (6K).

Old 07-09-2008, 11:36 AM
I thought they'd have you use alcohol or something to clean out the chip.

Thanks. Pics would be nice before I bake off the cash. My chips are small but I'm trying to be anal this early on in the car's life (6K).
Well, the kit that I got came with a razor blade(to dig out the particles of chipped glass) and alcohol pad(to clean out the surface before applying the glue).......the blade is the only thing that I kept.....I threw everything else away.

Here are a couple of pictures of the crack on my windshield.....the pictures can be deceptive. I used photoshop to sharpen the image. Trust me....it's barely noticeable unless you look for it. But here are the dimensions of the crack:

the original bullseye crater crack is 2mm.....
the spider web going left/right spread to about 10mm wide.....
after using the kit......the spreading stop at 10mm........it's been like 2 months.

For $10........it was worth it!

Last edited by NaTuReB0Y; 07-09-2008 at 11:44 AM.