General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

45PSI Tires MPG vs. 34PSI Tires MPG

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by pb and h
Well, I spent $9 on a digital tire pressure gauge with tread depth gauge.

Tread depth is 6/32 on front tires(didn't measure the back)

Just pumped them up to 65.0psig this morning.

Have 41k on the tires and a patch in two of the tires.
Wow. If anything i say you've got guts. They must be looking like semi baloons now. If they hold, you'll probably milk a few more miles out of them though.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:50 PM
Actually, they look like a well inflated tire that is hard as a rock.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:46 AM
-Scientific data is hard to come by since we are not Tire Testers or a tire manufacture.

-Increased pressure yields a stiffer ride, how stiff is relative to ones sensation and liking.

-As far as safety, it is relative as well. I have not noticed any cons on the increased pressure besides the stiffer ride. Breaking is great, cornering has definitely received better traction with the increased pressure and even driving in the rain has NOT decreased traction, some say it has increased but I cannot measure that.
being a "tire tester" nor " a tire manufacturer" will give u "scientific data"....only scientific training will yield scientific data i.e. GO TO SCHOOL!!
by the way data from a " tire manufacturer" is one of the LAST places for "scientific data" i.e. conflict of interest and not being double blind testing

Old 10-15-2008, 12:38 PM
Maybe, I could have stated things differently, I do not have the instruments to measure the breaking distances, cornering, traction in rain/wet roads nor the harshness of the ride. Do you?

It seems that you are insinuating that I need an education, that which I have though it is not with tires but in chemistry.

Again, I am only stating my experience since I lack the above instrumentation nor do I plan on obtaining that info. People must make their own decisions; usually based on experience and knowledge which is what I have based my driving habits/conditions on.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:48 PM
Maybe, I could have stated things differently, I do not have the instruments to measure the breaking distances, cornering, traction in rain/wet roads nor the harshness of the ride. Do you?

It seems that you are insinuating that I need an education, that which I have though it is not with tires but in chemistry.

Again, I am only stating my experience since I lack the above instrumentation nor do I plan on obtaining that info. People must make their own decisions; usually based on experience and knowledge which is what I have based my driving habits/conditions on.

if u have a degree in chemistry good 4 u!!! i found orgo to be challenging (but doable !!). then u should be trained in the scientific method and know about objectivity (even lawyers will not represent themselves in court!)

i do recall learning about vulcanization of rubber in chemistry class not english class!

as for instrumentation hmmmmmm.......of course i do and so do u!!!!!

to measure breaking distances that depends if u are using a sledge hammer or pry bar, jk

to measure braking distances use your speedo
1. set your cruise to whatever benchmark speed and start braking (full slam, if u don't feel abs pulse do it again) at whatever benchmark place i.e a stick in the mud
2. then place a marker where u stopped, (use a different stick!!)
3. repeat with different set-up
4. analyze data
NOTE: keep variables at a minimum i.e. let your brakes cool between tests, do multiple tests and don't do 1 test on a sunny day then the next when it's snowing duh!

as for cornering, u do have to be a competent driver for this
1.pick you favorite on-ramp and see how fast u can go (read the speedo)
2. repeat with different set-up
3. analyze data
or
a safer method would be using a skid pad (a large vacant parking lot) and see how fast u can drive around in circle (mark out a narrow track) or have a friend use a stop watch and time how fast u can go

all the above can be repeated in different weather conditions

as for harshness...this is purely subjective and is so easy to "feel" u have to be unconscious not to be able to tell that 30psi is rougher than 40psi, but if u must.......
1. tape a cup, a bowl, or ideally a paper towel roll vertically placed, and put in a ping pong ball or whatever similar
2. pick a rough road that is paved (remember to keep your variables to a min so don't do this on say a sandy road, a hard packed gravel road is fine)
3. mark out a benchmark course (in a straight line)
4. drive through said course on cruise (the same speed)
5. see how high the ball bounces
6. repeat with different set-ups
7. analyze data
note: you could start out with a short length of tube and see if the ball bounces out (more trials the better), if the ball falls out then try a longer tube (higher length) then see repeat and see what length of tube the ball stays in
or
better still use a toilet paper roll and see how fast u can go before the ball bounces out then repeat with different settings and see what speeds u can go before the ball bounces out

science isn't about "what instrument u have or have not" but what instruments u can build or an experiment u can design with the materials u have around u

what kind of accelerometer do u think Isaac Newton used to determine his formulae of gravity or what kind of calculator do u think he used to co-invent calculus?
the Wright brothers were bike mechanics that built and designed there own wind tunnel (i think maybe the first)

the best instrument is your brain

Old 10-19-2008, 08:52 AM
are you for real?

Old 10-19-2008, 11:26 AM
are you for real?
I think he's super for real.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sfACTOR1
what kind of accelerometer do u think Isaac Newton used to determine his formulae of gravity or what kind of calculator do u think he used to co-invent calculus?
the Wright brothers were bike mechanics that built and designed there own wind tunnel (i think maybe the first)

the best instrument is your brain
While we're all being mildly condescending . . . Calculators aren't really useful or necessary for understanding calculus except perhaps where one wants to do a complicated definite integral. Measurements for classical mechanics can often be done with modest equipment as you've indicated. Quantum physics and low temp physics are another matter entirely (not that either have anything to do with cars other than quantum p for semiconductors.

It's 'their own windtunnel' not 'there own windtunnel'. The Wright Bros' plane handled like crap, it's a miracle they were able to fly it as long as they did. That's not to belittle their achievement - I'm a distant relative on my Mother's side.

I put little credibility in the 'I have credentials' card or 'I can be sarcastic' card but it's fun to watch discussions in forums go down the tubes when people disagree. It's the same morbid fascination I have with the Jerry Springer show or Cops.

Old 10-19-2008, 03:49 PM
are you for real?
sux when u have to wake up from dream land

Old 10-19-2008, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by Rob22315

It's 'their own windtunnel' not 'there own windtunnel'..
that was a typo

argument was about substance not semantics

math is beautiful english is retarded

Old 10-19-2008, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member
math is beautiful english
Punctuation is priceless.

--Barry

Old 10-19-2008, 09:27 PM
Anyone have any ideas why my mpg dropped from near 40mpg when my fit was new to 28mpg with 14k miles on it. I have checked the tire pressure. I have done the fuel system cleaner. I have changed my air filter to a K&N, (no help). The dealership was a waste of time. 08 Fit sport with AT. Any ideas, or is my car a lemon?

Old 10-19-2008, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nyfan26
Anyone have any ideas why my mpg dropped from near 40mpg when my fit was new to 28mpg with 14k miles on it. I have checked the tire pressure. I have done the fuel system cleaner. I have changed my air filter to a K&N, (no help). The dealership was a waste of time. 08 Fit sport with AT. Any ideas, or is my car a lemon?
Plugs? Worth it to pull them and check the tips for fouling.

Sounds like my 08 Fit Sport AT.

When new- 26 mpg
After 6000 miles- 26 mpg under same conditions.

I have never ever got 40 mpg, Best ever was 32 doing one long trip and back about 60 miles under no traffic with 90% highway driving.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
Dumb question, but you didn't mention this. When was the last time you changed your oil?
Was this a gradual decline, or did your mpg drop all at once? If all at once, were there any changes around that time? For example:
Different driving habits, routes, traffic patterns?
Change in gas station or gas formulation by your station?
Change in weather?

--Barry

Old 10-21-2008, 01:02 PM
sux when u have to wake up from dream land

I give up.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by MINI-Fit
Plugs? Worth it to pull them and check the tips for fouling.

Sounds like my 08 Fit Sport AT.

When new- 26 mpg
After 6000 miles- 26 mpg under same conditions.

I have never ever got 40 mpg, Best ever was 32 doing one long trip and back about 60 miles under no traffic with 90% highway driving.

You and the other guy with problems:

You are the problem(no offense) because technique is key.

- drive the speed limit or less
- shift at 2.5k or less
-accelerate moderately(this is not a race car)
-P&G
-DWL
-DWB
-tire pressure to side wall max
- and lots and lots of practice.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
Gas measurement

Here is something that will wreck your gas mileage....this has been talked about much earlier, but it still exists.

A good friend went into a local station here in NM..with a 5-gal can. He filled it very carefully, and looked at the pump. It read 6.2 gallons. He was furious.

He went home and reported it to whoever.....

But just think....other stations are likely doing this as well, and getting away with it. So for your mileage, you record 6.2 gal, but you only get 5 gal worth of running. I know Paul has talked about this....but clearly using a reliable gas station is important.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
Here's my calibration checker.... If in doubt, wip it out and use it....

By pcs0snq

Old 10-21-2008, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
I give up.
lol now your doing the pauly!

Old 10-21-2008, 10:35 PM
LOL! I Tried

Quick Reply: 45PSI Tires MPG vs. 34PSI Tires MPG