General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Maximize Fit buying experience!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 10:41 PM
PSA
Maximize Fit buying experience!

Hello everyone. This is my first post to FitFreak so I wanted to make it a meaningful one. FitFreak has a great wealth of FIT information. I plan on buying a FIT when the 2009's arrive. I currently own a 2006 Honda Accord and while it has been a great car without question the new FIT looks too good on many fronts to ignore.

I have seen a number of threads here talking about price, supply and demand, dealer premiums tacked on to cars etc. and general buying experience for their FIT's. Just before I bought my Accord I did a ton of research on everything from financing to getting the best trade in for my previous car and and price for my Accord and even selecting a great extended warranty provider. I came across the following site that REALLY stacked the odds in my favor....

New car buying guide, how to buy new cars, avoid dealer scams when you buy a car

Over the years as a kid I always saw my dad get hosed at the dealer when buying a new car. He was helpless. With the birth of the internet buyers are actually empowered and can come to the dealership armed with information. The site above really gave me a fighting chance and even had the sales guy running for cover. I urge you to read through the seven chapters of information.

NO I am not affiliated with the above site. I am just a very satisfied reader and for once in my life felt like I really knew what I was doing when sitting across from the salesman during my Accord purchase and will as well when I go for my Fit later in the year. ENJOY!

- Philip

Old 06-29-2008, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the great site. The best advice I have found is:
1. Never pay more than the sticker price in a seller's market. And walk in with the dealer's invoice price in your hand. Even if they sell you the car at the invoice price, they get money back from the manufacturer at the end of the year for every car they sell.
2. Never mention the word trade-in until you get a firm cash price for the car you are interested in buying. Once you have the cash offer, then ask, what will you give me for my old car? Also, get the wholesale value of your trade-in from a website like, kelly blue book. The dealer will generally not give you more than the average wholesale value of your trade. You then have to decide if selling the car yourself is worth the difference.
3. If you can't pay cash, then get your financing arranged before shopping for the car.
4. Never buy anything the dealer offers above the price you got in step two above. You can buy extended warrantees and other accessories on line cheaper.
5. Always buy a car they have in stock. Every car dealer has financed every car on their lot. They have an incentive to move the cars they have in stock.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:04 AM
Originally Posted by Flyboybob
Thanks for the great site. The best advice I have found is:
1. Never pay more than the sticker price in a seller's market. And walk in with the dealer's invoice price in your hand. Even if they sell you the car at the invoice price, they get money back from the manufacturer at the end of the year for every car they sell.
2. Never mention the word trade-in until you get a firm cash price for the car you are interested in buying. Once you have the cash offer, then ask, what will you give me for my old car? Also, get the wholesale value of your trade-in from a website like, kelly blue book. The dealer will generally not give you more than the average wholesale value of your trade. You then have to decide if selling the car yourself is worth the difference.
3. If you can't pay cash, then get your financing arranged before shopping for the car.
4. Never buy anything the dealer offers above the price you got in step two above. You can buy extended warrantees and other accessories on line cheaper.
5. Always buy a car they have in stock. Every car dealer has financed every car on their lot. They have an incentive to move the cars they have in stock.
Regarding point number 5, above:
Buying a car off a lot isn't an option in all parts of the country. Here in Vermont, Fits are in great demand, yet most dealers have a hard time getting them and many if not most are sold sight unseen while en route to the dealership. I found out about a MR Sport with manual transmission through a phone call to the closest dealer (about 45 miles from my home) and put a credit card deposit on it. As you can imagine, with this kind of supply and demand situation, it is very hard to get a price below MSRP. I just went ahead and paid MSRP and avoided the hassle of haggling. The dealer supplied some options (mats and cargo tray) at internet price. All in all, I was satisfied with my buying experience. I had an old Subaru SW and sold it on my own, rather than trying to negotiate a trade.