General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Walmart oil change

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 12:10 PM
5 Year Member
So these are just a couple websites that come up after I googled "Walmart Oil Changes"

Consumer complaints about Wal-Mart Tire & Lube

FOX 4 Now - WFTX Wal-Mart Oil Change Woes

I'd never trust Walmart with my car, are they even licensed mechanics or just 'trained' employees?

Old 06-28-2008, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
i hate walmart, the only thing i used to buy there were DVDs and video games, wich i wont ne more after a rather rude incident i had there a few months ago, i would never bring my car there, i hate going to the grocery store next to the walmart near me, im afraid one of the lowley people who frequent there will crash into my car with the wal mart carts, i agree that wal mart is a plague on our country, they kill local buisness and ruin lives, i have no problem spending a few bucks more at a local place rather than giving that place my buisness, at the very least the local guys will appreciate me rather than treat me like a ****ing mule....

Old 06-28-2008, 07:42 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
We had a great Mom and Pops store within walking distance of my house. Once Wal-Marts started opening up they closed down. I really miss the friendly people and service that we got there. I have been shopping Wal-Mart some but they are just about as expensive as Krogers. I went there yesterday and the cashier acted like she was a bit off her nut as Jimmy Stewart said in It's A Wonderful Life. LOL! I would never trust my car to anyone but the dealership. Those guys have a bigger investment in doing a good job, providing great service and care because they want you to bring your business back to them -

Cat

Old 06-29-2008, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tomm
hey everyone, i went over to walmart for an oil change...first time getting a change done at walmart i might add. after coughing up $30 bucks i checked my oil meter and it still read 30%, which was the same as i came in with.

do they not know how to reset it? or did i just get ripped off? thanks.
Its in your owner's manual. Look up Maintenance minder.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:19 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Since we were talking about Wal-Mart - this guy I know on one of our local car forums took his Civic SI to Wal-Mart for an oil change and when he got home found this on his hood

Wal-Mart said they did not do it and he is having a hard time getting help from the manager. He is going to try to talk to someone higher up the chain of command and see if he can get any results. If that happened to my car - I would be so mad!

Cat

Old 06-29-2008, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by pip_rocks
my dealer does oil changes for $15.95 (they regularly send coupons for that price).

I could do that I get the coupons as well actually double because my parents bought a honda from the same dealership so we get double the cheap oil changes. But, I would rather do the oil change myself.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:00 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by tomm
hey everyone, i went over to walmart for an oil change...first time getting a change done at walmart i might add. after coughing up $30 bucks i checked my oil meter and it still read 30%, which was the same as i came in with.

do they not know how to reset it? or did i just get ripped off? thanks.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:57 AM
Originally Posted by Arisenfury
There's a giant used car dealership out here in CT that's been advertising $11.88 for oil changes with up to 5 quarts. Don't know what kind of oil they were using though.
Maybe ... Mazola Oil!

Old 06-30-2008, 02:02 PM
I won't to to any quick lube place anymore. I had J**fy lube strip the threads on the drain hole once. Another time another lube chain outlet started the car before they put oil in (!!!) (luckily I was watching the whole time and not so gently reminded them that cars run better with oil in them - no apparent damage - ran only 2 sec or so....) And they often overfill and/or use the wrong oil.

They only possible mistake I've never had happen to me is having the oil underfilled (except for the 1 NO fill noted above).

I'd be really surprised if Walmart properly did the change on the fit with the correct amount and type (5W20) oil. For the extra (very) few bucks the dealer would charge, I'd go there. Mine changes 29.95 and includes a wash and vacumn......

Old 06-30-2008, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
Not to mention that Wal-Mart overtightens the drain plug and filter...

Old 06-30-2008, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member
Oil should be changed at home. There really is no reason that it can't be. Even if you live in an apartment. park on the street for the 20 minutes it takes to drain the oil, take off the filter, replace the filter and refill the oil. Then take your old disgarded oil to a Shucks/Checkers Parts America store and they will recycle your oil.

You can do it for about $14 for oil and $5 for a filter if you use run of the mill stuff. Even if you use decent stuff you can do it for less than $30

Old 06-30-2008, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by Cat
We had a great Mom and Pops store within walking distance of my house. Once Wal-Marts started opening up they closed down. I really miss the friendly people and service that we got there. I have been shopping Wal-Mart some but they are just about as expensive as Krogers. I went there yesterday and the cashier acted like she was a bit off her nut as Jimmy Stewart said in It's A Wonderful Life. LOL! I would never trust my car to anyone but the dealership. Those guys have a bigger investment in doing a good job, providing great service and care because they want you to bring your business back to them -

Cat
Jimmy Stewart quotes ALWAYS rock!!!

Old 06-30-2008, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by SpokanejdmGD3
Oil should be changed at home. There really is no reason that it can't be. Even if you live in an apartment. park on the street for the 20 minutes it takes to drain the oil, take off the filter, replace the filter and refill the oil. Then take your old disgarded oil to a Shucks/Checkers Parts America store and they will recycle your oil.

You can do it for about $14 for oil and $5 for a filter if you use run of the mill stuff. Even if you use decent stuff you can do it for less than $30
I used to do this all the time, back when I didn't need a lift to get underneath my car. But since Honda does it for $29 (I assume using decent stuff), I don't have to wait more than 15 minutes, and they wash and vacumn out the car to boot, I've been letting them do the work.....

I still do all my work on my bike at least - (Harley actually wanted $45 last time I checked to do an oil change ).

Old 06-30-2008, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
Pull the tip stick out and see what the oil looks like on a piece of white paper towel. It should be light if the did the work.
$30 seems high, but I do my own.
Bought 12 OEM Honda Filter on ebay for <$4/ and get my oil, all four qts for $3/ take maybe 30 min

Where do you recycle your oil?

BTW, congratulations on 55.5 MPG. I saw your thread at CleanMPG, An authoritative source on fuel economy and hypermiling forums!

Old 06-30-2008, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bonsaikc
Where do you recycle your oil?

BTW, congratulations on 55.5 MPG. I saw your thread at CleanMPG, An authoritative source on fuel economy and hypermiling forums!
I posted where you can in my thread.

Shucks, Checkers, Kragen (all Parts America) stores will recycle oil.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:23 PM
Our local Honda delaership started offering oil changes for $9.95! All they did was eliminate the car wash that use to come with it for $29.95.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:27 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
lol wal-mart does oil changes now? You can get it done at the dealer for a few dollers more.
26.95 at my dealer

Old 06-30-2008, 05:29 PM
i got free oil changes for life. just for sinking a 10 foot putt in the honda showroom

Old 06-30-2008, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
The savings don't seem too much... I get mine done at my Honda dealer for like $36 after tax. If wal-mart has convinced you that saving $6 every 3 or 4 months will better your life like they advertise on their commercials then I feel sorry.
my thoughts exactly. i think i pay 35 at the honda dealer, and i know i'm getting good oil and there's a skilled technician working on my car. i'd never take my car to walmart for service. EVER!