General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Frustrated Shopper Needs Advice!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 03:43 AM
Frustrated Shopper Needs Advice!

Hey everyone I'm new to the forum been lurking for a month. I want to buy a new 08 fit sport in nighthawk black. My shopping experience has been extremely frustrating. I have quoted almost every dealer in Arizona, best deal I have received is $18,950 which includes tax and fees, and that price is after hours of trying to negotiate with the sales department!

I've done a lot of research and I know they are marking these vehicles up because of supply and demand and the market right now is really high for the fits. No one is dealing so I'm stuck with going with that deal or just waiting to see if the market goes down before the 09's come out. Any helpful advice on what to do? Looks like I picked a bad time to be fit shopping!

Old 06-26-2008, 05:18 AM
5 Year Member
Lightbulb

actually its a promising time to be shopping for a fit, simply bring up the fact that the 09's come out in sept, and you'd gladly wait (show some general interest).

I know that the honda by me is packed full of fits and im sure they are dying to get some off the lot to relieve lot fee's. i'd seriously check out tempe honda and see what you can do.

i know those dealers way far out in phx love to give people the reach around with lies, and will gladly see a potential buyer walk off knowing the next sucker will come along. so find a stealership that has alot of fits, and make higher sales in other models i'm sure you'll get lucky.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:42 AM
A couple of days ago I posted a $1500 over MSRP message. If I drive an hour either north or south, I can get the car at MSRP. Good luck!

Old 06-26-2008, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by Stillmorningrise
Hey everyone I'm new to the forum been lurking for a month. I want to buy a new 08 fit sport in nighthawk black. My shopping experience has been extremely frustrating. I have quoted almost every dealer in Arizona, best deal I have received is $18,950 which includes tax and fees, and that price is after hours of trying to negotiate with the sales department!

I've done a lot of research and I know they are marking these vehicles up because of supply and demand and the market right now is really high for the fits. No one is dealing so I'm stuck with going with that deal or just waiting to see if the market goes down before the 09's come out. Any helpful advice on what to do? Looks like I picked a bad time to be fit shopping!

Considering that the MSRP of a Fit is 16,900(and you will pay MSRP) and you are also including all dealer fees and taxes in the figure mentioned above, I think that is about right. I am not the expert on local taxes in Arizona, but this figure sounds about right. Anyhow, JMHO.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:28 AM
I <3 SPOON
5 Year Member
^
is that MSRP for an auto?
that's crazy

i paid 15,600 OTD for my manual

Old 06-26-2008, 09:37 AM
5 Year Member
Here in Arizona, we have to pay sales tax (~8%) on top of the sticker price on the vehicle. So, that's roughly $1,352 right there. Not to mention doc fees of around $350 or so, plus the ~$300 to get your tags (price of tags figured by cost of vehicle).

By my math, that's $18,902. Not far off of your quote of $18,950. So, no, you are not getting a raw deal. You're not going to get much better than that. PM me, and I can give you the name of the guy I worked with at an area dealership, he gave me a good deal, and threw in some freebies as well...

Old 06-26-2008, 09:38 AM
I would hope that has to be the automatic sport.

Use the costco buying program or some similar program.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by HarumaN
Here in Arizona, we have to pay sales tax (~8%)

OUCH!!! 8%?!?

Do you pay the same 8% when you sell/buy used cars privately?

Old 06-26-2008, 09:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Deanwvu
OUCH!!! 8%?!?

Do you pay the same 8% when you sell/buy used cars privately?
Honestly, I don't know... I've only lived here a year!

Old 06-26-2008, 11:09 AM
Retired Moderator
If your not happy with that price, maybe look around out of state. See if you can find a deal, then factor in the shipping price. Thats always a option.

Tyler

Old 06-26-2008, 11:15 AM
I pad 17,000 even for my MT sport, they wouldn't budge and it was the only nhbp sport mt in the 5 surrounding states, but it WAS just msrp + tax and fees

Old 06-26-2008, 12:01 PM
I agree with others, with TTL fees, etc. you are in the ballpark.

Originally Posted by Stillmorningrise

Old 06-26-2008, 12:06 PM
I paid $17,600. Seriously you'd be lucky to get a manual Sport for under $19,000 brand new right now I would assume. At least on the east coast...

Old 06-26-2008, 12:39 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
as i mentioned a week or so ago, anyone is welcome to buy mine
for $20K cash...

but with the market's markups, this week it'll be $21.5K.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
[quote=Stillmorningrise;349155]Hey everyone I'm new to the forum been lurking for a month. I want to buy a new 08 fit sport in nighthawk black. My shopping experience has been extremely frustrating. I have quoted almost every dealer in Arizona, best deal I have received is $18,950 which includes tax and fees, and that price is after hours of trying to negotiate with the sales department!

Thats the trouble with having to buy from suppliers who have a limited supply and many who want to buy.
Note your gas prices; brought on by congressional Democrats opposing and defeating requests for more oil exploration, refining, and drilling, are $4 per gal this year and $5 next (as an old oil engineer I fully expect that as China ramps up crude requirements which our bids have to compete with) so you should think ahead. Tell me, are you going to punish Democrats for that mismanagement?
Sure some Honda dealers are adding dealer profit to the sales prices; there are a lot more buyers than cars to sell so prices are high. Its the American way.
You have to decide if you can rationalize the price and mpg to save you money over next 5 years. There is no quick solution; what we have now is what we will have the next 5 years minimum. So if you're buying a Fit so you will be able to drive the next 5 years maybe 18.9K isn't bad, especially considering if you included sales tax, license tax, and registration/licensing fees in your 18.9k. In fact that sounds pretty honest for an auto Fit Sport. Almost so for lesser Fits in proportion.
Good luck.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:32 PM
5 Year Member
meh i paid invoice. but with all the add ons i got i paid like 18.7k

but thats extended warranty,lo jack, paint protection.

yeah

Old 06-26-2008, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone! I feel a little more at ease now. Going to check out some some dealers farther east see what they can do for me.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:47 PM
I got my '08 auto for $18,068 OTD which includes TTL in October of last year.

Last edited by Biven5; 06-26-2008 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member
PM sent...

Old 06-26-2008, 02:12 PM
I'm in NY and did a price quote thru Costco's Auto buying site and paid $16,473 before taxes for auto sport. No negotiating required. Costco negotiated price of $350 over invoice before I walked in the door. I believe Sams Club and AAA offer similar services.

This is the 4th car I bought thru the site.

Quick Reply: Frustrated Shopper Needs Advice!