General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

NO spare in 2009

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 06:04 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SheepNutz
The 16" will fit in the spare tire well. If you look at the 09 manual, it has instructions for putting your flat tire securely in the spare tire well for transportation. Fully inflated, it might not, but a flat one will. I think there was also something in there about it not meant to hold a full size spare.
You could put a 16" wheel in there, and put in a little tiny air compressor to inflate it if you need it. They cost $10 at WallyWorld and work through the lighter socket. That way, you'd have a real wheel instead of a bicycle tire. You'd still have to buy the extra rim and tire, though.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by SheepNutz
The 16" will fit in the spare tire well. If you look at the 09 manual, it has instructions for putting your flat tire securely in the spare tire well for transportation. Fully inflated, it might not, but a flat one will. I think there was also something in there about it not meant to hold a full size spare.
Nice catch... the replace the cover verbiage seems to imply that the well is deep enough to swallow the entire width, too. Interesting that they didn't make a shallower well since it only has to hold the narrow spare. Wouldn't be good if you had a flat and had a bunch of stuff in the car and had trouble fitting the spare in, though.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:09 PM
I never got run flat tires.

You can drive at up to 100 miles at up to 55 miles per hour after a puncture. Just like on a donut. On a full spare you can drive normally. Draw for the donut, but if the car is equipped with a full size spare it has the advantage.

Cost? Run flats are very expensive, both for repairs and initial cost.

The only real advantage is that most Americans (I hate when people generalize like this, but in my experience it really is an American thing at least in this case) are too lazy to change a tire or don't know how.

I don't know why you can get a license in this country without learning basic maintenance and repair procedures.

Sort of reminds me of a story. I was at the gas station checking my tires and adding air (they were a few psi low) and a guy yelled across the lot "They've already got air in 'em!" No shit?

Old 08-25-2008, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by Gigarange
There are several cars out there these days, it just means a flat = a tow rather then a change. Spare tires in 99% of cars are low on air when you need them anyways so you need to call someone to fill up your spare anyways.
Couple of cars that already have no spare tires.
Newer Mini Coopers (spare tire is an optional feature)
Smart fourtwo
Several Mercedes models
Some Audi's

As cars get smaller, and people want more space for "stuff" you'll find that spare tires will more and more increasilngly become either an optional item or completly absent.
The new Ford Focus does not come with a spare, but you can buy one at the dealer. It does have a can of goop.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:27 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
That is facking ghey

I miss the days of full size spares in the trunk, my old BMW had one. Was great.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member
within about 2 weeks of owning my fit i had a flat. I then had 3 flats with the first 10k miles. And i've had one flat since i put on my 16" rims. That was a bad blowout too nothing a plug could fix.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:46 PM
well.. i have an 08.. im curious about the 09, but my next purchase is gonna be a corvette or a 370z in a year or so (keep the fit as around town car, i always have two cars).

i will be going out of town in about a month. before i go, im gonna get a fullsize spare. when i go out on the road, i always throw a fullsize in the hatch area (did this with my crx) and keep the donut too.

you get between macon and savanna in the middle of the night, you dont wanna call AAA and wait for hours.. you wanna spare up fast and move out.. somehow about being stranded in the boonies just doesnt appeal to me.

my current second car is a 2003 subaru WRX. about a year after i bought it, someone local wanted to upgrade his wheels/tires and sold me ALL 4 wheels with 50 percent tread left for 100 bucks.. so when i hit the road in that car, i throw two tires in the trunk...

and finally AAA may be fine, but i just read a horror story about a buy who's mini conked out at night and he kept calling AAA and they kept sayin they were an hour away and finally he abandoned his car and took a cab and went back the next day and waited 4 hours for AAA. so i dont have a lot of respect for AAA and dont want to depend on them for flats..

buy a used steely, go to some tire place and get a used tire of the same size. or get an cheap aftermarket from tirerack and and cheap tire..

now if i get the vette, there's gonna be an issue because the front/back wheels are different sizes. so if you do away with the runflats you would need to carry two spares. because if you mount two different size wheels on your rear axle it will screw up your rear-end and/or tranny..

Old 08-25-2008, 09:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rexorg
The new Ford Focus does not come with a spare, but you can buy one at the dealer. It does have a can of goop.
Try just complaining; my parents just bought a Focus, found the goop, and managed to exchange it for a spare for free.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:34 PM
2009 Fit spare tire

The 2009 Fit does in fact have a spare tire. I have a Tidewater Blue 09' Fit Sport, and I have to admit, I was worried about this problem too.

So yes, it does have a spare tire under the cargo floor.

I live in the U.S. just in case you were wondering.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:00 PM
Canadian 2009 LX (auto) does not. I believe the manual transmission version does though.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:15 PM
The '09 Sport models have a spare (I checked at the dealership)... I believe the US base and Canadian models (all) don't.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
My 09 sport has a spare! I hope Ii never need it

Old 09-17-2008, 10:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fittysense
The '09 Sport models have a spare (I checked at the dealership)... I believe the US base and Canadian models (all) don't.
All US Fits and all Candian Fits with manual trannys have the spare.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:17 AM
5 Year Member
the new FN2 CTR in the UK dont come with a spare wheel.. they get the foam filler in a can to pump it up, but the tyre is finished after that stuff goes in, so bit of a waste of rubber if u ask me...