General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

NO spare in 2009

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 01:41 AM
Screw that.

The ONE time you need a spare you will be damn glad you had it. Screw paying for AAA service on a brand new car, especially a Honda that isn't going to break down for 200,000 miles.

Screw standing on the side of a hot road in August going for 90 minutes while you wait for a tow truck to show up.

Come on Honda you can't tell me there isn't enough room for a spare. Not everyone is a helpless little girl who can't be bothered getting their hands dirty in a pinch.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:54 PM
5 Year Member
If true, this is simply a cost cutter for Honda. In case you have not noticed, the dollar is hardly worth jack and import automakers are raising prices due to the currency devaluation...see BMW. This is an easy way to save a few bucks on something a lot of customers will not even notice until they have signed on the bottom line.

The new Pontiac G8 does not come with a spare tire either.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:51 AM
5 Year Member
*knock on wood* I got rid of the spare in my NSX years ago. In retrospect I look back and think wtf was I thinking? (wish I still had it)Thank god I have never needed it after 9 years and multiple sets of tires. I'm glad my Fit and my SUV have spares. Gives me peace of mind. I have AAA which is basically for the NSX, but having a spare is just more convenient for me. Im not a big fan of run flats, why they have no spare in the new Fit is beyond me. Yes it saves on weight, but not by much imo.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:01 PM
It's like that in the UK with all new Honda's so I assume Jazz will be the same. You get a can of that foam to limp home with till ya can get it repaired.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:31 PM
Do you think we can still get spare as an option?

Old 06-20-2008, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by choi830
Do you think we can still get spare as an option?
I guess that would depend on the inclusion of a tire well.
And if there's no tire...............

Old 08-24-2008, 11:06 AM
No spare tire in 2009 for sure

Numerous reviews on the 09 Fit all mention the fact that there is no spare tire. No word on whether it will be available as a "dealer-installed accessory," as Honda likes to call what everyone calls "options."

Not sure if the minimal increase in MPG and storage space is worth having to deal with the possibility of a shredded, non-patchable tire in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere.

dg

Old 08-24-2008, 11:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DavidG20851
Numerous reviews on the 09 Fit all mention the fact that there is no spare tire. No word on whether it will be available as a "dealer-installed accessory," as Honda likes to call what everyone calls "options."

Not sure if the minimal increase in MPG and storage space is worth having to deal with the possibility of a shredded, non-patchable tire in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere.

dg
If you read the owners manual, it says that in the 09' US version, a spare tire is standard (Canadians with MT are out of luck). It also says to never use "fix-a-flat" because it will ruin your TPMS sensors.

Here is the manual: https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/.../AAA0909OM.pdf

Last edited by BlackUp; 08-24-2008 at 12:33 PM. Reason: corrected statement on Canadian models' lack of spare tire
Old 08-24-2008, 11:43 AM
5 Year Member
As I posted yesterday on Friday, Only Sport Canadian Automatic Trans will not have a spare.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...09-fit-84.html

Last edited by pcs0snq; 08-24-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:25 PM
5 Year Member
Talking

Originally Posted by pcs0snq
As I posted yesterday on Friday, Only Sport Canadian Automatic Trans will not have a spare.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...09-fit-84.html
The owners manual I just linked to indicates that all Canadian models with automatic transmission will not have a spare (page 285, 291, et. al).

JK JKJK

Last edited by BlackUp; 08-24-2008 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by DavidG20851

dg
From Edmunds Inside Line first drive of the '09 Fit, under the picture of the cargo area... "Unlike the JDM-spec Fit, the U.S.-spec '09 Fit keeps its temporary-size spare tire. Luggage capacity behind the rear seats drops from 21.3 cubic feet to 20.6. "

Old 08-24-2008, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
how many times will people have to post that some models come with a spare for people to get it? sheesh!

Old 08-24-2008, 02:05 PM
I chucked my spare tire lol I'm running 16s

Old 08-24-2008, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BlackUp
The owners manual I just linked to indicates that all Canadian models with automatic transmission will not have a spare (page 285, 291, et. al).
Confirmed... that said, WTF? What makes Canadian automatics so special that they can't put a spare tire in?

Old 08-24-2008, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by zukered
What makes Canadian automatics so special that they can't put a spare tire in?
car weight limit
Either the braineacts at Honda or the Canadian Gov

Old 08-24-2008, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
car weight limit
Either the braineacts at Honda or the Canadian Gov
If it's a choice between the two, it's Canadian government for sure, i.e. if it's over a certain weight it's no longer considered a subcompact and would be subject to different safety and other regulations. I can't see Honda arbitrarily leaving the spare out only for automatics, only in Canada.

These are probably the same government idiots who are refusing to approve low-speed, zero-emission vehicles from a home-grown company (ZENN), despite it being approved in the US and Europe... yet approved the import of the same type of LSV from an American company. Way to encourage homegrown companies trying to push green technologies, Canadian government

Old 08-25-2008, 12:06 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
does anyone know if a 16" from a sport will fit in the 09 spare tire compartment?

if not I will ditch and get a kit also

Old 08-25-2008, 10:08 AM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vtec just kicked in yo
Screw that.

The ONE time you need a spare you will be damn glad you had it. Screw paying for AAA service on a brand new car, especially a Honda that isn't going to break down for 200,000 miles.

Screw standing on the side of a hot road in August going for 90 minutes while you wait for a tow truck to show up.

Come on Honda you can't tell me there isn't enough room for a spare. Not everyone is a helpless little girl who can't be bothered getting their hands dirty in a pinch.
Hey, even we girls aren't helpless and would rather change a tire out than miss our appointment with the hair stylist!

BTDT on I-35 in Arkansas with a 4-Runner...Hit a piece of metal going 65 mpg...Pow! Full sized spare but under the truck and HARD to get out unless you've already done it...Too big for this girl to handle...Hubby goes all postal when something goes wrong...Kids are hot, grumpy and I was grateful to have AAA Plus...the guy spent maybe 15 minutes, got the spare on and away we went....Of course the tire sensors stayed on the rest of the trip b/c the blowout was now under the truck...I needed a beer!

Only SUVs now have full-sized spares. Not even the Camry has full-sized, and it used to. What about run-flats if they aren't going to put in a spare of any size?

Old 08-25-2008, 10:08 AM
does anyone know if a 16" from a sport will fit in the 09 spare tire compartment?
I haven't seen an '09 yet, but I seriously doubt it. The point of a space-saver spare is so the manufacturer doesn't have to accommodate the width of a standard wheel/tire combo.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by txmatt
I haven't seen an '09 yet, but I seriously doubt it. The point of a space-saver spare is so the manufacturer doesn't have to accommodate the width of a standard wheel/tire combo.
The 16" will fit in the spare tire well. If you look at the 09 manual, it has instructions for putting your flat tire securely in the spare tire well for transportation. Fully inflated, it might not, but a flat one will. I think there was also something in there about it not meant to hold a full size spare.

Quick Reply: NO spare in 2009