General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Buying a trailer for the Fit

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member
Buying a trailer for the Fit

I'm looking for a trailer for the fall of this year. I don't want to rent one, I want to own one.

How do I go about approaching Uhaul for their sports trailer, which is a small slimline aerodynamic trailer for smaller cars?

How much do you think one would cost?

U-Haul: Trailers: Trailer guide <-- (Sport Trailer on the right)

I'm really wanting to have one, hoping to get it in the middle of July.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member
[quote=CuTeBoi;339906]I'm looking for a trailer for the fall of this year. I don't want to rent one, I want to own one.

How do I go about approaching Uhaul for their sports trailer, which is a small slimline aerodynamic trailer for smaller cars?

I strongly recommend Tractor upply's small 4x6 open trailer priced about $300 to 350. It has proven very useable behind my FIT as long as I don't load it more than 650 lb. The trailer hitch I got at TSC too but don't remember the cost.
And I virtually require you to replace your rear shocks with Monroe AirLifts MA-811. For that see multiple posts and good photos in the Suspension post section. Without the MA-811 shocks the foregoing is void.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member
[quote=CuTeBoi;339906]I'm looking for a trailer for the fall of this year. I don't want to rent one, I want to own one.

I strongly recommend Tractor Supply's small 4x6 open trailer priced about $300 to 350. It has proven very useable behind my FIT as long as I don't load it more than 650 lb. The trailer hitch I got at TSC too but don't remember the cost.
And I virtually require you to replace your rear shocks with Monroe AirLifts MA-811. For that see multiple posts and good photos in the Suspension post section. Without the MA-811 shocks the foregoing is void.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
Thule makes some nice small trailers.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:36 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by CuTeBoi
I'm looking for a trailer for the fall of this year. I don't want to rent one, I want to own one.

U-Haul: Trailers: Trailer guide <-- (Sport Trailer on the right)

I'm really wanting to have one, hoping to get it in the middle of July.
Tony,
The Thule trailer mentioned above runs a little over $1500. at Rack N Road stores. It is very similar in size to the UHaul trailer in your OP. I will bet that if UHaul sells theirs (which I doubt), their price would be at least as much as the Thule.

Since we don't have Tractor Supply stores in the SF Bay area, take a look on line at the small utility trailers, such as to haul ATV's, at Portable Generators, Grounds Maintenance, Lawn Mowers, Pressure Washers | Northern Tool + Equipment. They are located in MN, so freight will be high, but the small trailers sell for less than half the Thule price. They are open trailers, but a plastic tarp would keep the contents fairly clean & dry.

And I echo mahout's suggestion that you only use any trailer with the Monroe air shocks.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by manxman
Since we don't have Tractor Supply stores in the SF Bay area
Tractor Supply Company now has a location in Gilroy. Noticed it the last time I was over there, just past all of the new shopping centers at 101 and 152.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
I'm thinking of keeping my desktop computer in the trailer, not sure how well a plastic tarp can be, and I would be keeping clothes, and a small amount of food back there, trying to keep the cabin free of extra stuff that can kill me in an accident.

But I'm worried wetness could damage my computer stuff, or my clothes in case I hit a freak shower somewhere on the east coast.

So far, tomorrow I leave for chicago, and wont be back till the end of June.

4 x 4 trailers and lightweight utility trailers by Tentrax
I found this one, ( I liked due to the fact that I could put the same kind of rims I have for my fit on it, and most likely get it painted later on when I'm done with traveling to match my car

Iron Horse Trailers are the most Aerodynamic Motorcycle trailers in the world
I saw this one called Iron Horse, and it's way too big, I think it will be taller than my car, and I don't need something that big, but it's nice to know I could just sleep in it, and get some breathable material as a door, and no fitting for custom rims. the good features of this one, is electronic braking system as an optional package, that's good, but I don't think I'm carrying anything that heavy to warrant the purchase of some good brakes on a trailer.

I just finished looking at the Thule, and they don't look that great, and they seem a lot smaller than the uhaul ones (seems..). Wonder what the fine is for stealing one of theirs, I know they will have my CC on file, just wondering how much they will charge me to mark it as a loss.