General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Basic Milage Quest from a Newcomer

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 05:24 PM
Cool Basic Milage Quest from a Newcomer

I live in Florida, which for the most part is flat as a board. 90% of my driving is on the HWY, you can drive at about any speed you want, with in reason. it’s all open country roads. My question is what is the best speed range that will give me the best mileage on my new Honda Fit A/T Sport. I'm never in a real big hurry.
Thanks, pops

Old 06-15-2008, 05:54 PM
speed limit

You might try adhering to the speed limit at first and make adjustments from there. 50 to 60 seems to be the range most people get the best mileage. Going WAY slower than everyone else can be a nuisance/hazard so safety should be considered as well. I hope your new car is an excellent "fit".

Old 06-16-2008, 09:26 AM
+1.

I have an MT so can't speak directly to your question, but in general, being in high gear at a steady cruising speed that's not too fast gives you the best milage.

Steady speed so that transmission stays locked in gear, and you lose most of the ineffecencies that are inherent to a standard AT.

Not too high speed because the effect of wind drag really cuts into your gas milage as speed goes up, especially on a cars that aren't really that aerodynamic, like the Fit.

On the MT, the most effiecient milage seems to be in the 50-65 range. Above that it starts going down, above 70-75 it drops pretty fast. I'd guess it would be pretty similar for the AT, especially if you live in a flat area where the car won't downshift a lot in the lower end of that range. The last poster was right on.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:04 AM
5 Year Member
I drive stick, but I'd say that the best range would be about 50-65mph, too.

You can check the ScangaugeII thread. It's somewhere around here ( "Scangauge schooling" it's called)

I tried to ask but they just kinda bit my head off and told me to buy a scangauge. =\ (With gas at $4, I'd rather spend that $160 on gas) You might fare better than I did.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:20 AM
forum nazis

Originally Posted by cojaro
I tried to ask but they just kinda bit my head off and told me to buy a scangauge. =\ (With gas at $4, I'd rather spend that $160 on gas) You might fare better than I did.
The forum Nazis seem busy recently. You'd think they drove F150s and were bitter about gas prices! I'd like a scanguage but also will be spending my money on gas instead.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:58 AM
The slower the better. With that said, you wanna go as slow as you can in fifth gear such that you don't bog.

As someone else suggested on here, start by going the speed limit. Then try going 5-10mph BELOW the speed limit. 30-40mph will more than likely yield the best mpg in 5th gear.

Technique will be the most important thing besides speed. Pay close attention to your acceleration and slowing down habits.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by pb and h
The slower the better. With that said, you wanna go as slow as you can in fifth gear such that you don't bog.

As someone else suggested on here, start by going the speed limit. Then try going 5-10mph BELOW the speed limit. 30-40mph will more than likely yield the best mpg in 5th gear.

Technique will be the most important thing besides speed. Pay close attention to your acceleration and slowing down habits.
Agree on the main points. I'd just add 2 things:
1) I don't think the wind is much of a factor until you get into the range of freeway speeds. Once you get there it starts to make a difference, and once you really get going fast, it makes a BIG difference.

2) Can you actually be in 5th gear @30-40 mph in the AT fit, (which is much taller geared than the MT)? The MT doesn't like 5th below about 40 mph.....