General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

are you doing your oil change yourself?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member
are you doing your oil change yourself?

So I set out today to change my oil, I used to do it on my last car a Subaru. And I was pretty excited to do it on my fit, until i noticed the only place to jack it up with smack dab in the center of the car, this fact and the fact the concrete out here is hotter than the 105 degrees of our most beautiful wasteland.

So I did what most idiots do. Took it to Honda, their charge was about 10$ more than what it would cost to do it myself(for labor).
This of course was not my intention and I am now regretting not getting the first oil change experience with my car.

Does anyone else do this? Or am I the only fool?
replies appreciated :3

Old 06-13-2008, 03:08 PM
June 2007 3rd Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
oil change

I do it myself now, just because shops charge too much to put synthetic oil. Plus I like that end result feeling of taking care of my car. The only pain is cleaning up and having to dispose of the oil properly.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:13 PM
Not this car. I do the oil in the camaro myself, but not the fit. That's why I bought a new car though, so I don't have to do that crap myself.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:59 PM
i used to but by the time i buy the oil and the oem filter its not worth the hassle when its only 37$ at honda and they have an express shop so i dont have to make an appt.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:03 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i put my cars on ramps when i do my oil changes. Mobil1 for me.

as far as the FitS, i had a dealer coupon for a free oil change so i had
them do it the first time. i recently saw that i have a nother dealer
coupon for a free oil change so looks like im going to have them do it
again.

i dont particularly enjoy doing oil changes... infact, i still have some
old oil in my garage from earlier this year i need to take back to the
store to be recycled...

Old 06-13-2008, 05:02 PM
I guess if I can rebuild my own engines an oil change isn't to bad...
But I don't want some ham fisted kid changing my oil. Dealerships do not use Journeymen to do oil changes. But I guess I was that kid once upon a time long ago.
And you get bulk shop oil unless specified.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
Changing the oil is a piece of cake. Plus, you know exactly what has been done to your car. Purchase ramps to do the oil change.

Mobil1 Synthetic + HAMP oil filter = WIN!

Old 06-13-2008, 05:24 PM
Banned
I change it myself, I've only had to do one change since I've had it, but royal purple all the way, and we've got a pit in the garage, and the pit stays warm in the winter and cold in the summer!

Old 06-13-2008, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
Coming from the Subaru community, I did what so many of them do and purchased a Fumoto valve. I have my Fit at stock ride height, and am able to reach back and flip the valve so it drains into the drain pan. I then do something else while it's draining(it goes slower than with the drain bolt removed) Once it stops, I close the valve and take off the filter. Still easily reachable without jacking up the car. Put on a new filter, after oiling the gasket. Fill up the car with oil, run it for 30 secs and recheck the oil level. Make sure there are no leaks, and you're golden.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member
yeah, unfortunately nobody sells royal purple and does the oil changes. so i do it myself

Old 06-13-2008, 06:21 PM
5 Year Member
I'm 16... I do it myself... Actually I will probably be doing mine this weekend. I simply pull my car into the garage and drive it up on a few thin cement blocks so I can fit under. Does'nt take to long not to sure because last time i rotated my tires also.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member
WIll be doing it myself when the time come.
I don't trust anyone else.
Doing it yourself you can pick the brand oil/filter that goes on your car.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:05 PM
I took mine to Jeffy Lube. They noticed a leak from the transmission. So I took the car to the dealer. They found a pin hole leak on the transmission pressure inspection port (what ever that is). Long story short, they installed a new transmission. Honda techs said they haven't seen that before, so they wanted the whole transmission back so they could look at it.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:32 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
i never ever let anyone else work on my car other than myself, my friends and mechanics i trust, and even then, i am looking over their shoulder. if your fit isnt lowered, changing your oil is probably the easiest thing you can do.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
For the first oil change I took it to the dealer but the second oil change I did a couple weeks ago in my garage.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
I have lifetime oil changes from the dealiership I bought mine at... I figure I'd cash in on it.

The thought has crossed my mind to, drain the fresh dealer oil and put it into my wife's honda while I fill my Fit up with synthetic...

Old 06-13-2008, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
Since my wife only has put 15,000 miles on the car in two years, I have taken it to the Honda dealer for the two oil changes. They always have a coupon for an oil change so that it costs about $25. The real problem with changing your oil yourself is disposing of the old oil. It's not very nice to pour it down the storm drain or put it into the trash can.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member
I average 400+ miles a week on my commute. I've racked up about 6K miles in the last 3 months.

If I follow through with my idea, I'll be dealing with oil changes 2 fold on top of the dealer handling the initial oil change... ... lol... Investing in a couple fumoto drain valves doesn't seem to be a bad idea.

As far as taking used oil to autozone or other autoparts store to recycle oil is not all that much of a headache.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:53 PM
5 Year Member
I'll be doing all my own oil changes as well. I dont like paying someone to do something I can easily do myself. I also know that its been done properly as well. In the last 10 years I have only ever not done 1 oil change, and thats because in the 4Runner we bought, I could not get the damn OEM oil filter off for the first change. Guess they really wanted me to come back!

It also helps that I have a case and a half of oil filters in my garage that were sent to me by mistake, so I am set for quite a while!

Disposing of oil is very easy. Any repair shop that does oil changes is required to take old oil that you bring in so it can be recycled.

Last edited by Rod2Rice; 06-14-2008 at 12:11 AM.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
i do all my oil changes. Dont really see it as a hassle, just jacking the car up gets annoying at times. I need to buy ramps >_>

Quick Reply: are you doing your oil change yourself?