General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

are you doing your oil change yourself?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 02:14 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
i do my own oil changes to save a little money and because i like to take care of my own car. but the main reason i do it myself is so that i don't have to deal with the paranoia that plagues me whenever i let somebody else work on my car. It's just better for me to know that the job is getting done right when i do it myself.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:06 AM
5 Year Member
I've been doing my own oil changes for the last 30 years-- no reason to stop now! I usually change the oil on my car and the wife's car at the same time, and then I wash both cars; it's a good excuse to spend some time in the garage drinking beer.

I've got a stock height FS, and the oil pan fits under it just fine. So do I-- no ramps, no jacking. I must say that the Fit's oil filter is about the easiest to unscrew that I've ever seen!

--Barry

Old 07-16-2008, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by bdrake
I've been doing my own oil changes for the last 30 years-- no reason to stop now! I usually change the oil on my car and the wife's car at the same time, and then I wash both cars; it's a good excuse to spend some time in the garage drinking beer.

I've got a stock height FS, and the oil pan fits under it just fine. So do I-- no ramps, no jacking. I must say that the Fit's oil filter is about the easiest to unscrew that I've ever seen!

--Barry
Same time? Are you basing your oil changes on a time interval or the mileage of just one of the cars? If mileage, yours or hers? ;-)

Old 07-16-2008, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by SlavetotheHonda
JIFFY LUBE?
Have you ever researched Jiffy Lube? They are notorious for sloppy work, and more importantly that most people are unaware of the fact thatunless spcified Jiffy Lube will install their own brand of oil filter. There have been MANY engie failures from these filters IMPLODING. They are TRASH. RUN don;'t walk from Jiffy Lube.
They are more notorious for not doing the work at all. A TV station here in SoCal busted them on hidden cameras and then went back later and busted them again. Nothing had changed.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:06 PM
5 Year Member
That sucks. ya i make fun of jiffy lube all the time.... but i work at a dealership and i pull my car in and change my oil. gotta love the 5 finger discount.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by Red Iron Crown
I've done enough oil changes for it not to be a novelty anymore. $10 sounds like a reasonable premium to charge for not having to slide around on the garage floor, get all kinds of dirty, and then find a good way to dispose of the used oil. Plus, it's nice to have documentation of proper servicing to ease warranty claims and maintain resale value (and no, it's not the same to have receipts for the oil and filter you bought to do it yourself).
Really? No one has ever questioned my receipts and documentation.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:29 PM
"Five finger discount?" You sound proud....

Old 09-09-2008, 11:54 PM
Royal purple!!!!!!!!

i do my own oil i use royal purple!!!! oil you actually get horse power out of lol. but can anyone help me i changed my oil but the oil life on the dash never changed and now i have a stupid little wrench light that comes on when i start my car any one know what to do??????
thanks

Old 09-10-2008, 12:45 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by modfit669
i do my own oil i use royal purple!!!! oil you actually get horse power out of lol. but can anyone help me i changed my oil but the oil life on the dash never changed and now i have a stupid little wrench light that comes on when i start my car any one know what to do??????
thanks
no comment about you getting more hp now that you used royal purple. but if you want to reset the oil life, look in your owner's manual. you just press the button to toggle to the oil life display (if it's not already displaying it), then press and hold it down till the display starts flashing. Next, release the button and press down on it again, holding it until it resets. pretty simple.

or simply: get it to display oil life, press and hold button until something happens, then press and hold again until it's cleared.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:48 AM
Originally Posted by doctordoom
no comment about you getting more hp now that you used royal purple. but if you want to reset the oil life, look in your owner's manual. you just press the button to toggle to the oil life display (if it's not already displaying it), then press and hold it down till the display starts flashing. Next, release the button and press down on it again, holding it until it resets. pretty simple.

or simply: get it to display oil life, press and hold button until something happens, then press and hold again until it's cleared.
ok thanks ill try that in the morning. and you really do get power gain from royal purple that oil is amazing

Old 09-10-2008, 01:07 AM
36,146 miles

7 oil changes @5k miles interval............

DIY

Old 12-23-2008, 01:57 AM
hm.... DIY oil change? does it affect the warranty? Since the dealer (manufacture) covers any malfunctions for 30.000 miles or 3 years (which ever comes first). I'd do it by myself after the warranty is exp.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:06 PM
5 Year Member
What model Purolator filter are you guys using? Is it PL14610?

Old 04-03-2009, 02:40 AM
5 Year Member
I'm preparing to do my own oil changes by amassing all the needed parts.

Already bought:

- Fumoto Valve
- 2 Honda oil Filters

Waiting for a sale or trying to still source a cheap price for:

- Full Synthetic 5w20
- Oil Filter Wrench
- Rhino Ramps

Honda Canada wants $45 for an oil change (non synthetic). I can do a Full Synthetic oil change for Under $30. With Ramps and a Fumoto Valve I think the job is easy enough to do regularly.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:21 AM
5 Year Member
Ever since I've put on the coilovers, I brought it to the dealer where I usually get an oil change. The reason I go there is because i somewhat trust the mechs and im right next to them the whole time AND it's never more than $20. But this last time they were bitching like crazy because it was too low for the lifts.

Oh well, gonna build some downlow ramps and start doing it my self and switching to Mobil1 synthetic/ filter...

Old 04-03-2009, 05:32 AM
5 Year Member
Labor is cheap here in Manila so I don't know a lot of people who change their own oil.

That said, I've been interested in doing it for myself, actually. My headache concerns the storage and disposal of the used oil - I have no idea where to bring it and how to store it. I'm not sure if our local gasoline stations will accept used oil.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Type 100
Labor is cheap here in Manila so I don't know a lot of people who change their own oil.

That said, I've been interested in doing it for myself, actually. My headache concerns the storage and disposal of the used oil - I have no idea where to bring it and how to store it. I'm not sure if our local gasoline stations will accept used oil.
Local junk yards/dumps will usually take it. I usually store the oil until I fill a big bucket. Throw it in the back of the car and bring it to the town dump. Not sure where you live but I believe each state has their own specific laws on things like this.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
I'm getting tired of crawling around in a gravel driveway, myself, so I take my Fit to the dealer for oil changes. $25 plus tax and they balance and rotate the tires with every other oil change...

Used oil can be taken to most parts stores and just about any larger maintenance shop. Locally, Pep Boys, O'Reilly, Autozone, Advance, Sears, and (I think) Wal-Mart and Sam's Club all take used oil, as do several of the tire shops.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SanDan
What model Purolator filter are you guys using? Is it PL14610?
Amazon.com: Purolator PL14610 PureONE Oil Filter (Pack of 2): Automotive

i was looking into this for my next oil change too.

btw it took me about 1 hour to change my oil and oil filter..

factors for making it take longer:
- jacking car up on one side
- beatrush underpanel removal and reinstall (6 hex nuts)
- quickdrainvalve - drains a little slower since outlet is smaller in diameter, then again I don't have to worry about a drain bolt + washer anymore
- taking my time not to get my hands overly dirty

I think a nice set of ramps or something that doesn't require jacking up the car is a lot more time efficient.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, definitely use ramps and let the oil drip for more than 10min. on my hobby cars i let it drip more like 15+min.

disposable gloves are your friend.

Quick Reply: are you doing your oil change yourself?