General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

are you doing your oil change yourself?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 03:17 PM
i do my own, its easy when you work at the acura dealer

Old 06-14-2008, 05:07 PM
I've done enough oil changes for it not to be a novelty anymore. $10 sounds like a reasonable premium to charge for not having to slide around on the garage floor, get all kinds of dirty, and then find a good way to dispose of the used oil. Plus, it's nice to have documentation of proper servicing to ease warranty claims and maintain resale value (and no, it's not the same to have receipts for the oil and filter you bought to do it yourself).

Old 06-14-2008, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member
for the guys that are lowered:

have you had any trouble having oil changes at the dealer?

Old 06-15-2008, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
This might be a stupid question, but since I don't have my Fit yet...

Is it low enough in front that I'd definitely need to jack it up or use ramps to change the oil? I changed my Jetta by just scooting underneath and unscrewing the filter with my arms in an awkward position, and did my New Beetle by reaching under and doing it by feel (I had someone put it up on his lift and remove the anti-access panels soon after buying it). Is this possible with the Fit?

Old 06-15-2008, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by eeka
This might be a stupid question, but since I don't have my Fit yet...

Is it low enough in front that I'd definitely need to jack it up or use ramps to change the oil? I changed my Jetta by just scooting underneath and unscrewing the filter with my arms in an awkward position, and did my New Beetle by reaching under and doing it by feel (I had someone put it up on his lift and remove the anti-access panels soon after buying it). Is this possible with the Fit?
See my earlier post

Coming from the Subaru community, I did what so many of them do and purchased a Fumoto valve. I have my Fit at stock ride height, and am able to reach back and flip the valve so it drains into the drain pan. I then do something else while it's draining(it goes slower than with the drain bolt removed) Once it stops, I close the valve and take off the filter. Still easily reachable without jacking up the car. Put on a new filter, after oiling the gasket. Fill up the car with oil, run it for 30 secs and recheck the oil level. Make sure there are no leaks, and you're golden.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by EXWRX
See my earlier post

Coming from the Subaru community, I did what so many of them do and purchased a Fumoto valve. I have my Fit at stock ride height, and am able to reach back and flip the valve so it drains into the drain pan. I then do something else while it's draining(it goes slower than with the drain bolt removed) Once it stops, I close the valve and take off the filter. Still easily reachable without jacking up the car. Put on a new filter, after oiling the gasket. Fill up the car with oil, run it for 30 secs and recheck the oil level. Make sure there are no leaks, and you're golden.
So you are saying that the oil drain plug is reachable on a stock Fit ( not lowered) without the ramps?

Old 06-15-2008, 10:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Pacedog
So you are saying that the oil drain plug is reachable on a stock Fit ( not lowered) without the ramps?

Very reachable. On level ground you can poke your head under there and see everything. The filter is right in your face and the drain bolt is within arms reach on the opposite side of the oil pan.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:27 PM
5 Year Member
Easier to open the fumoto valve than to swing a wrench, but yes it is reachable.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:46 AM
I've always performed the oil changes on all my cars for obvious reasons: time & money saved.

Time in that I don't have to drive to/fro the Dealer, and I save about half the cost by not getting it served at the dealer.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:27 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Mobil-1 synthetic @ Walmart every 10,000 miles

Old 06-18-2008, 10:34 PM
5 Year Member
i like that idea of the fomoto valve, i'll probably get one by the end of the summer when i do my first oil change, the plug looks easy to reach and the filter is right there under the bumper.. the filters are easy to come by... i might as well do it myself and go full synthetic instead of taking it somewhere or to the dealer

QuickOilDrainValve.com - the best way to change oil

Old 06-18-2008, 11:06 PM
eneos full synthetic is all i use in my vehicles. unbelievable oil! do all oil changes myself and find the fit the easiest vehicle i ever had to change oil in.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:45 AM
5 Year Member
wow i just read about that valve. man that would make life so much easier!!!!

im about to buy one of those, my car is so dam low.. i have to use the spare jack(too poor to buy 70 dollar ramps that lift you car like 2 inchs haha) and then jack it up with a race jack. this way all i have to do is just use the ramps...slide a slim bucket under and flip the valve!

yeah royal purple+oem filter FTW

Old 06-19-2008, 02:27 AM
So far I have done my own oil change at:

5k, 10k, 15k, 20k, and 25k miles.......

A simple 30 minute DIY job.........

Old 06-22-2008, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SD_MR_FIT
wow i just read about that valve. man that would make life so much easier!!!!

im about to buy one of those, my car is so dam low.. i have to use the spare jack(too poor to buy 70 dollar ramps that lift you car like 2 inchs haha) and then jack it up with a race jack. this way all i have to do is just use the ramps...slide a slim bucket under and flip the valve!

yeah royal purple+oem filter FTW
Are you too poor to spend on 10 bucks worth of wood and screws?

check it...

posts #4 and #7

I think imma go this route coz I don't wanna spend big bucks on some takata LDS...

Old 06-23-2008, 12:02 PM
5 Year Member
I did oil changes myself for many years, but now I just take it either to the dealership when they send coupons or to my local drive-thru, where they let you stand there and watch them do everything. It's usually $20-30 a pop, and with it done so quickly, it's worth the little extra. I avoid the pressure-sale places that want you to buy new overpriced air filters, synthetics, etc. Just make sure they put your oil cap back on. Some places forget. Or if you have an aftermarket cap, make sure they put that back on and not just a generic. Some figure most people won't check afterwards. Call me paranoid, but I've seen it all too often.

Like the OP, I'm in AZ (it was 115 all weekend), so suffering near-heatstroke just to do an oil change isn't my idea of fun. I won't even do it for the sake of fun modding (I cancelled doing my headers yesterday due to the heat).

-Mike

Old 06-23-2008, 12:12 PM
I do mine on the FIT. I just put it up on my ramps. I found it is very simple to change the oil. The FIT much easer than it is to change it than on my rsx.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:51 AM
i had a guy friend change it for me for free
i don't trust anyone with my fit other than him since he works at a dealership and he's a huge car freak.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:06 AM
Castrol 5W-20 and SuperTech oil filter ST7317. It is a tight squeeze but luckily my floor jack fits to where I can access the front center jacking point. I like my wife's Accord because the jacking point is way forward. Too bad the Fit's is so far back.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by clifpau
I took mine to Jeffy Lube. They noticed a leak from the transmission. So I took the car to the dealer. They found a pin hole leak on the transmission pressure inspection port (what ever that is). Long story short, they installed a new transmission. Honda techs said they haven't seen that before, so they wanted the whole transmission back so they could look at it.
JIFFY LUBE?
Have you ever researched Jiffy Lube? They are notorious for sloppy work, and more importantly that most people are unaware of the fact thatunless spcified Jiffy Lube will install their own brand of oil filter. There have been MANY engie failures from these filters IMPLODING. They are TRASH. RUN don;'t walk from Jiffy Lube.

Quick Reply: are you doing your oil change yourself?