General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

How's your A/C?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 09:04 AM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gimme
worked like a champ before tint, works like one after

the only thing was if i parked in the sun all day during the summer time i would crack my windows and let the a/c run while the car was warming up.....without tint. One thing i am planning on doing is insulating the space between the headliner and roof. NHBP isn't fun in 100+ deg weather
How do you put insulation between the headliner and the roof? And what does NHBP mean? What does this mod cost?

Old 07-30-2008, 09:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Juliane
...what does NHBP mean?
It's the color of the car. Nighthawk Black Pearl.

I live in the Houston area so I know all about how hard it is to cool in the mid day heat. I have my windows tinted as dark as legal all the way around and I keep a sun shade on my windshield when it's parked. That made a huge differance. It takes about 4-5 min.'s to cool enough for comfort but I never put the a/c knob past 2. If you keep it on one or two it gets cold faster.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:26 AM
5 Year Member
Gonna be 108 here today, 112 by Friday... quit your whinin' about 95+, lol.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by HarumaN
Gonna be 108 here today, 112 by Friday... quit your whinin' about 95+, lol.
It's not the HEAT, it's the HUMIDITY!!! Ha ha bet you have heard that a million times! Yeah, whatever, hot is HOT and when it's over 100, that's an oven. I'm not whining yet, I haven't bought a Fit but I can get my fave color, Vivid Blue Pearl in a Sport AT if I want it...just on the fence about whether it's gonna "fit" my lifestyle or not.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mugen Mojo
It's the color of the car. Nighthawk Black Pearl.

I live in the Houston area so I know all about how hard it is to cool in the mid day heat. I have my windows tinted as dark as legal all the way around and I keep a sun shade on my windshield when it's parked. That made a huge differance. It takes about 4-5 min.'s to cool enough for comfort but I never put the a/c knob past 2. If you keep it on one or two it gets cold faster.
What does tinting cost? And since you are in Houston, what is your insurance like? We get JACKED for insurance in this city! (I'm 51, clean record but have a 17-year-old son who is driving.)

Old 07-30-2008, 10:04 AM
How much does it cost to tint the windows? I want this car to be economical and if I have to start adding all sorts of after-market stuff it becomes less of a great deal.

I'm already looking at $18K for a Sport, AT, out the door.

Thanks!
I paid $150 for 35% front 20% rears.

What does tinting cost? And since you are in Houston, what is your insurance like? We get JACKED for insurance in this city! (I'm 51, clean record but have a 17-year-old son who is driving.)
I was in Dallas, moved to Wichita, and in both places the best deal I could get is $200/month. I'm a 20 year old male with the good student discount and I've never had a ticket or an accident. I think it's just because it's a new car.

How do you put insulation between the headliner and the roof? And what does NHBP mean? What does this mod cost?
I don't know how much it would cost to have it done, but it seems like people are spending about $100 on dynamat and they're removing the headliner(taking off the upper panels with the battery unplugged so airbags don't deploy, likely replacing clips as the panels come off), applying the dynamat, then replacing the headliner with a design instead of the original headliner, buying upholstery glue and reapplying the headliner. as of now it's a DIY mod, I imagine it would take a good full saturday to do, however, so you'd probably much rather NOT pay someone for it. if you have a friend who's done work like that before, have them do it, however I don't think it's necessary to insulate the roof in order to keep the car cool. like I said, it rains here, then the same day it ends up being 102 degrees, so I know what it's like to have the sticky hot. I keep one of those foldable front window covers under my seat, and with my windows tinted I don't have any problem keeping the car cool at all.

I don't think you should worry at all about your fit's AC. I sit in my car in the 100 degree heat for about 15 minutes before work(I leave early so I don't get stuck in traffic) with the AC dial on 1 and I read a book -- completely comfortably.

Worse comes to worse, you refill your freon like Sid said. Cheap, easy fix.

Last edited by drzenitram; 07-30-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:14 AM
5 Year Member
It can get pretty hot here in Boston when it decides to. I just do a combination of initially cooling off the car with the A/C, and intermittantly opening up the windows to let a bit of fresh air on.

I can't wait to get my tint installed with my next paycheck (in a couple weeks). It will be 35% in the back, and 20% in the front. I was quoted about $300.00 to get it all done.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:20 AM
i agree, the side vents suck, thats why i close them and use only the middle vents. you get more air flow at lower settings, and you can actually feel it. never needed to go past 2 with both middle vents aimed at me.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:06 AM
5 Year Member
I paid $115 with the eyebrow included (Shurgart Glass in South Houston). My insurance is $130 a month and I'm 26 with no tickets.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member
I noticed with my Fit that if the vent selector was set to upper and lower, it became hot in the car when the temperature was over 90F. I usually set it to upper vent only/recirculate and I was fine. I got the windows tinted after the first summer and it made a huge difference.

I don't care about the people in the back, they complain too much anyway

Old 07-30-2008, 12:35 PM
I paid $115 with the eyebrow included ...

I think I will do the 'eyebrow', too. lol, I guess it will look more like a unibrow.

But really, I am amazed that more peeps don't use the reflective sunshades- it really does make a difference in keeping the interior slightly less hot when parked. I'll even use it in the winter to kep the UV from degrading the plastic dash and leather steering wheel.

Last edited by Fitzy; 07-30-2008 at 02:41 PM. Reason: fix quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member
What is an "eyebrow?" I know I'm being a bit of a pain, but you guys have so much lingo I can't make heads or tails of it!!

That tint price doesn't seem like much. Guess I can afford that.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
I think by eyebrow they mean the strip of tint that goes at the top of the front windshield.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member
I paid $115 with the eyebrow included (Shurgart Glass in South Houston). My insurance is $130 a month and I'm 26 with no tickets.
Thanks for the name of the shop! That doesn't seem too bad. By "eyebrow" do you mean the darker strip at the very top of the front window?

Old 07-30-2008, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member
^^^^^^ Yep.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:33 PM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
Most tint shops are going to call that a 'visor strip'. If you walked in and said 'eyebrow' in most shops, they wounldn't know what you're talking about either. Some people call the chrome trim that goes over your fenders 'eyebrows'.

Be sure and check out the thread in my sig for a lot of answers to tint questions.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
Nice Thread! Very informative.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by Sid 6.7
Most tint shops are going to call that a 'visor strip'. If you walked in and said 'eyebrow' in most shops, they wounldn't know what you're talking about either. Some people call the chrome trim that goes over your fenders 'eyebrows'.

Be sure and check out the thread in my sig for a lot of answers to tint questions.
Must be a regional thing- just got off the phone with a few tint shops for quotes and all three referred to it as a brow strip. Must be that Rocky Mountain High.

Great link BTW, love all the pics of various tints. Wish we could do 5% or even 20% here...*sigh* 27% it will be.

Last edited by Fitzy; 07-30-2008 at 06:11 PM. Reason: hukt on fonix
Old 07-30-2008, 06:12 PM
Nice Thread! Very informative.

I think you're going to get a Fit, you are already hooked on the forum, you HAVE too!!

Old 07-31-2008, 07:52 AM
I test drove a Fit Sport AT a little more than a month ago, but wasn't in the car but for 15 min. and it was ok. I was 30 miles north of New Orleans, LA and at the time it was between 85 and 90. It did take a while to cool it down, but judging from the comments and the fact that every compact/sub-compact from Honda I've owned has had a less than adequate A/C systems. However, as stated in a previous response, my accord and prelude were ice cold.

I also had a friend who recently traded her Fit back to Honda for a new Civic b/c of a leak that could never be repaired correctly. Together with the A/C, I've unfortunately decided against the Fit which is very disappointing b/c I know it has a lot to offer.

Quick Reply: How's your A/C?