General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

How's your A/C?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 07:49 PM
I put insulation foam on the refridge line going into the fire wall this helped quite a bit after install the weapon r header.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:51 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
worked like a champ before tint, works like one after

the only thing was if i parked in the sun all day during the summer time i would crack my windows and let the a/c run while the car was warming up.....without tint. One thing i am planning on doing is insulating the space between the headliner and roof. NHBP isn't fun in 100+ deg weather

Old 06-12-2008, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
the ac works just fine for me...have you lived in a really cold place before moving to where you live now? even before i had the tint i think it worked fine, so did the passengers. drove from MD to WV with a full car load of people with the ac on. only complaint is how much power/sloppy it is when the ac is on high. but what do you expect from a 4 cyl like ours...

tinting the windows does help. 95% of the time(unless i have passengers who complain) i just roll down the windows. may be im just used to the heat because i work outside all year long.

Last edited by kancerr; 06-12-2008 at 08:12 PM. Reason: spelling...
Old 06-15-2008, 04:07 AM
5 Year Member
I've been from So Cal to Western NY to Central FL. I personally hate the cold. My wife is ok with it. I'm fine with the windows open myself...the rest of the fam is not. My 17 M/O sweats like mad in the back seat and I feel pretty sorry for him. The wifee likes to be frigid in the summer and toasty in the winter. Makes no sense to me but what can I do?

Old 06-15-2008, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
ah the baby sweats in the back with the ac on? i would really suggest getting some window tint. its not too expensive and will help keep your wife and the baby cool. and it looks really good ;]

Old 06-17-2008, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
So now I'm going to trow my electronic AC into this discussion

First off all we almost never have really high temperatures, neither really low temperatures. It is at minimum (average) -10ºCelsius in the winter and about +30ºC in the summer. So I really dont nee a superefficient AC for our clima.
But I have been on a trip to Germany last summer, and there was temperatures around +45ºC around there. And the sun was shining almost all the time and I was happy for my tint and my AC then.

To my AC system:

The round display in the middle is where I see the temperature that the AC i set on and wich mode it is in. The button/lever on the left side is for setting the temperature and to the right is the button/lever for manual setting the fanspeed. The fan has about 6 diffrent speeds (i think, or more).
Temperature can be set from "Low", 15ºC in step by 1ºC up to 25ºC and "High".

Above the display is the "Auto", "Off", "Recycle on/off", "Defroster on/off", "Rear view window and mirror heating on/off", "Mode", "AC on/off" buttons.

"Auto" sets all fans and directions to full auto.

"Off" is offcourse to turn all system off. And it also shuts off any manual venting systems.

"Recycle" is the normal cycle air in the cabin, to use when in tunnels or in heavy traffic so you don't get the exhaust in to your car. It does not affect the mode of the AC in any other way.

"Defroster" sets the fan to maximum, the heating to top and all air goes to the window. Turns on AC automaticly.

"Rear view window and mirror heating" turns on/off the heating threads in the rear window and in the mirrors. Does not affect the AC system in any other way.

"Mode" here you select where you want the air to go. Window, towards you and down or any mix of those.

"AC on/off" this actually only turns on/off automatic fanspeed and temperature controll. (Temperatur controll is done with the AC radiator)

There is also diffrent modes with mix of AC on and Auto on.
Full auto = system regulates the temperature, fanspeed and directions of air.
Half auto = system regulates the temperature and fanspeed, you select directions of air manually.
Manual mode = you select fanspeed, and directions and there is no temperature regulations.

The only things that bothers me is that when you turn on the defroster, the AC is also turned on automaticly. But you can then just hit the AC button and turn off the AC system.

The temperature is held very good (I have not measured it), and it feels very stable and get to the temperature quick even if the ouside temperature is not stable or the sun is shining.

There are two sensors (that I know of) inside the car; on on top of the dashboard and all the way to the front windshield there is a sun sensor (not sure if it is temperature or light sensor, but the manual say "sun sensor"). And the other is just beside the starter key, you see it as a small vent on the picture. That measure the temperature inside the car. There is also a sensor on the outside that tells the outside temperature.

I hope you understand my gibberish

Old 06-17-2008, 07:40 PM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
You EU guys are so fortunate that you have so many high end options available to order.

Since the US looks at the Fit as an econo-box, Honda didn't bother to add the cost of making those features available.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member
Mine SUCKS BALLS!

Old 06-18-2008, 03:08 AM
Socal desert near 100F lately

Socal desert near 100F lately and my A/C works fine. I use the 4 setting to push air to the rear for the kids and its cold enough to handle 100F plus in traffic, IMO. If your A/C isn't keeping you comfy at 100F then I think there is something not right with the system. JMO.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:34 AM
5 Year Member
Point is, your shouldn't have to have your A/C running at 4 if they put some guts into the system. Just like Honda brakes and alternators. Designed to be just good enough. I don't believe any of my other cars have ever had to be at max on the A/C (unless for the initial cool off of 95 degrees or so) just to keep the interior cool. I have tinted windows as well.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
I guess I should clarify my earlier post to clear up any confusion.

The Fit comes with R134a already. I just topped it off with a little more of it.

If you overfill it, though, the compressor will kick on and off a lot with a loud clicking sound and the a/c won't be working right. So you have to put just a slight amount more in without overfilling.

The first time I did it, I overfilled it and had to vent some out. But once I got the right amount in, which was about 1/2 can of the R134a (I got the can that also had some leak sealer in it, just to have a little more insurance), the a/c worked better than ever.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:14 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
This is a big concern for me.

I test-drove a Sport Fit AT today - normal temps here in Houston - around 96 degrees with about 90% humidity. The car struggled to get cool enough, with the fan full on. We were out about 15 minutes, and going up to 60 mph. At one point I needed to hear the engine and the tranny and went to turn the air down and we almost smothered, especially my son in the back seat. When I took a turn in the back I was very hot. For such a small car you'd think the AC could get it cool! I never felt comfortable the entire time, even in the driver's seat with the fan speed on 4.

Because we have hellaciously hot summers here, that last from March until October, I HAVE to have good AC. I am currently driving a '95 4 cyl Camry and the AC really works - I frequently have to adjust it downward even on a hot day.

I love the look of the Fit, it drives well for what it is, and the fuel economy is great too. But I have got to have air. Maybe in Colorado, it wouldn't be as much of a concern, but we use our AC almost year-round down here.

Any other Southern drivers have problems cooling this little car down?

Old 07-29-2008, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by Juliane
Maybe in Colorado, it wouldn't be as much of a concern
Oh believe me, I need the A/C here in colorado. We've had two weeks of 95+ degree days!

At least it's a dry heat.

My A/C works great- no need to go past 3 at all, I usually keep it at 2 with the temp cranked down one notch, not maxed out.

The only thing I do notice is that the air pressure isn't as high coming out of the left driver's side vent compared to the other vents. Still no biggie. I'll be running the heater before too long anyway.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
I'm a Colorado native so I know your heat is NOT our heat!! :P But whatever, 95 is hot too. We don't need the heater as much down here, except for the coldest days around Christmas.

I hate to kill the deal for this reason, but I've got to have a cold AC!

Old 07-29-2008, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by Juliane
I'm a Colorado native so I know your heat is NOT our heat!! :P But whatever, 95 is hot too. We don't need the heater as much down here, except for the coldest days around Christmas.

I hate to kill the deal for this reason, but I've got to have a cold AC!
Heh, I spent a two awful years in Texas, so I know all about that miserable heat. You can keep it, that's fo sho! There's a reason I've been here 18 years, never lived anywhere longer.

You know, though, when it gets cold in TX it gets frigid! Dang humidity.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:49 AM
5 Year Member
its never to hot up here so i rarely use AC. I find when i do use it though it sucks and i have to put it on 3 or 4 just to feel anything.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:57 AM
well my car is not even 2 months old but my ac on my 01 civic was much more stronger and colder then my fits ac...

Old 07-30-2008, 01:35 AM
i'm here in kansas, 90% of the days i've had my fit(approaching 60 days) it's been 95+ degrees, some days in the hundreds, and it's sticky humid hot, the worst kind.

I also drive a black fit, so I get it as bad as it comes.

all that to say, i have tinting, but my AC does a fine job. on a 95+ degree day i can cruise around with my AC on 1(and I HATE being hot); of course, the car has to cool down first, which usually involves cracking the front windows with the AC on max(2 minutes or less).

so, my AC is fine, but if yours is really that bad, I recommend sid's idea. once we refilled my eclipse's freon to full it was a beast of an A/C.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:59 AM
5 Year Member
How much does it cost to tint the windows? I want this car to be economical and if I have to start adding all sorts of after-market stuff it becomes less of a great deal.

I'm already looking at $18K for a Sport, AT, out the door.

Thanks!

Old 07-30-2008, 09:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitftw
its never to hot up here so i rarely use AC. I find when i do use it though it sucks and i have to put it on 3 or 4 just to feel anything.
That tells me a lot...If you have a problem way up there, then I'm not sure I'm going to have a deal for this car.

Quick Reply: How's your A/C?