General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Hands-Free Calling Anyone??

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 04:10 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up Hands-Free Calling Anyone??

The Fit is my first MT that I have owned while having a cell phone. I hate talking and driving at the best of times especially when I have to down-shift to make the corner while avoiding the pedestrian and still getting out of the way of the semi.

So here is my simple solution so that driving and talking on the phone is not so dangerous.

Supplies needed:
Cell phone w/ headset
Fit w/ AUX Jack
1/4" Male-Male stereo Cord

Here's some pics and instructions:

1) Here is what I am using. Everything came came with the Phone. (Any phone w/ MP3 capability should have similar)

2) Disconnect the earbud portion and use the 1/4" stereo cable to plug into AUX Fit Jack. You fit stereo then becomes the "earbuds" and your phone is now hands free.

If you have music on you phone you can then listen to that in between calls, otherwise make sure when your phone rings you have the stereo on AUX.

I have yet to discover the best placement for the mic and wires but I'll post when I do.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member
that's awesome however if u use an ipod, it's difficult to keep unplugging it and switching.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:17 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
good idea! i havent thought of that. Especially since next month it will be required to have handsfree while driving.. at least here in CA.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:18 PM
5 Year Member
My Garmin NAV system is bluetooth ready so thats my hands free set up. Problem is I only take it with me when I am travelling as I dont want to chance it being stolen. I might have to look into other options like this for everyday use...

Old 06-06-2008, 04:20 PM
sweet, nice discovery. I may need to try this

Old 06-06-2008, 04:42 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Old 06-06-2008, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by koolkevin1107
that's awesome however if u use an ipod, it's difficult to keep unplugging it and switching.
Easy solution to that ^ put your favorite music on your phone or get the iLink offered by Honda.

You may also be able to run a "Y" style splitter and have both plugged in at once. Not sure it it will work but worth looking into if you don;t want to be fumbling with plugging and unplugging electronics.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:28 PM
5 Year Member
Thought about doing this, but I was afraid that the caller's voice from the car speakers will shoot back into the phone's microphone, causing an echo for the caller. Do you know if this happens?

Old 06-06-2008, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member
Obviously you do not want to place the mic near the the speakers but the callers voice does not project very much even with the volume high. From my experience it is a non issue.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:50 PM
Check out products from a company called PARROT.
I have a Sony BT enabled head unit right now in my Accord that works great.

But it will stay in it when I get my Fit in 2 weeks. So...I'll need one for it.
Install is tricky but not if you get a wire harness.

Parrot Shopping

Old 06-21-2008, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Giggles
You may also be able to run a "Y" style splitter and have both plugged in at once. Not sure it it will work but worth looking into if you don;t want to be fumbling with plugging and unplugging electronics.
To do that you would have to make/purchase a passive mixer. It is very simple and is what I am currently using to hook my xbox360 and computer up to one set of speakers.

Mixer Designs

Old 06-21-2008, 01:08 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
New studies show hands free is still just as dangerous as;

1) Driving while holding a cell phone to your ear
2) Driving Drunk
3) Driving with an angry bee buzzing around inside the car

It isn't all bad; When engaging in a brief call your attention drops slightly but is still manageable with hands free. A longer call requiring more thought leads to attention being reduce significantly, if you are actually arguing it gets so bad you are probably better off being totally loaded. The worst is if you have to problem solve on the phone, basically your chances of getting into an accident raise up by about 11 times over normal.

I personally never answer my phone in the city, however on occasion on long distance trips I will accept a short call.

Drive safe!

Old 06-24-2008, 01:22 AM
5 Year Member
I found a much more barbaric solution a while ago...

speakerphone + yelling

"WHAT????I CANT HEAR YOU I JUST HIT VTEC!!!"

Old 06-24-2008, 11:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
New studies show hands free is still just as dangerous as;

1) Driving while holding a cell phone to your ear
2) Driving Drunk
3) Driving with an angry bee buzzing around inside the car

It isn't all bad; When engaging in a brief call your attention drops slightly but is still manageable with hands free. A longer call requiring more thought leads to attention being reduce significantly, if you are actually arguing it gets so bad you are probably better off being totally loaded. The worst is if you have to problem solve on the phone, basically your chances of getting into an accident raise up by about 11 times over normal.

I personally never answer my phone in the city, however on occasion on long distance trips I will accept a short call.

Drive safe!
This "new study" should also say that driving with passengers is also as bad as being drunk, unless you don't talk to the people in your car! Having an in-person conversation is the same as having one through a digital device. The problem with cell phones is you have to hold them, thus rendering one hand useless. And as the example states in the 1st post in this thread cell phone can cause problems while driving.

IMO, while driving and talking can be dangerous, there is no comparison to driving drunk, which is always dangerous!

Old 08-21-2008, 03:47 PM
I just installed the Parrot CK3100 in my Fit. Works beautifully. Radio does not even have to be on, too.

Mounted the control screen/panel above left-side air vent.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:34 PM
Yeah, it's been shown that it's not holding the phone that is the distraction, it's the conversation itself. Seems to me that people are a bit too cavalier about driving these days. Controlling a couple thousand pound piece of machinery at high speeds in close proximity to other people and vehicles is not a time you want your mind to wander.

And I've seen people trying to text message (!!!) while driving, too. (I don't really get the allure of text messaging in the first place anyway. Why drag a conversation on and on with many texts when you can just call? I guess sometimes it's not convenient to call, though.)

Unfortunately in the modern world, sometimes having to talk and drive is almost unavoidable. This hands free solution looks like a good idea to help cut down on driver distraction.
Drive safe, everyone.