General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Clutchless shifting MT

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 11:15 PM
5 Year Member
Clutchless shifting MT

Hey just a quick question, has any one attempted clutchless shifting in the 5MT? I've done this in old Toyota's and my buddy's Sunfire but have been too much of a wuss to try it in my Fit. If done right it can save unnecessary wear on the clutch but on the other hand if done wrong your gears will turn to hamburger (i.e. Grinded).

So have you been brave enough to try it?

Old 06-04-2008, 11:24 PM
I would rather replace a clutch disc then replace syncro's..............

Old 06-04-2008, 11:28 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i sometimes shift out of gears when approaching a stop without the clutch
and just lightly tapping the gas. that's about it.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:52 PM
5 Year Member
uhhh clutchless shifting can be VERY dangerous... totaly not trying it in my car...

Old 06-05-2008, 12:03 AM
5 Year Member
I use to not even use my clutch while at the track in my old hatch

Old 06-05-2008, 12:13 AM
guesse nobody is willing to try it out... i used to do it in my old chevy s10 (with no tach)

Old 06-05-2008, 12:37 AM
Banned
Yep I do it all the time. If you know what you are doing it doesn't hurt your syncros at all because when you match speeds that is the exact thing the syncros are doing on their own. BUT it takes practice to get it right having learned to drive in several cars with no syncromesh transmissions helps.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:59 AM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
yeah i don't think i'd ever try it.
but kudos to you claymore!
you got some balls haha

Old 06-05-2008, 02:10 AM
5 Year Member
i used to do it in my del sol all the time. my mustang as well. i tried it once in my fit and grinded big time lol. first and last time trying it. i pull it out of gear without the clutch sometimes though.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:49 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
i only tried this in my fit when i first got it. i shifted like 2-4 times that way and then i haven't done it since. too scared to keep doing it haha.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:11 AM
5 Year Member
even pulling out freaks me out, it pops out and im scared it'll like grind while im pulling off... haha

sounds fun though! There is a guy on youtube w/ funny makeup that does it in his RSX, very popular vid

Old 06-05-2008, 03:24 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
I've accidently shifted from 4th gear to neutral, doesn't seem to effect much..

Old 06-05-2008, 03:30 AM
5 Year Member
I'm a gear-floating FOOL in my semi! I can run through all 10 gears in my truck without even even coming close to scratching a single one. However, I've yet to be able to do it in my Fit. Then again, I've not yet been ballsy enough to get aggressive with it. Lol there is a barrier that I seem to have to push through to get it to try to slip into gear and I just chalked that up to the tranny being too tight still. I guess I'm just not matching up engine and transmission speeds correctly yet. The strange thing is, transmissions in big trucks are MUCH more finicky than transmissions in personal vehicles. If you've never driven a semi, you'd be surprised to know that the clutch is practically useless, as far as I'm concerned. If your engine and transmission speeds don't match up, you WILL NOT get the truck into gear...no matter how many times you jam the clutch to the floor. However, if you know what you're doing, you can cut through the gears like a knife through soft butter...smooth and seamless.

Last edited by BigBadMadMan; 06-05-2008 at 03:40 AM.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:26 PM
5 Year Member
I was able to do this in my old CRX pretty easily. The transmission was so loose it was good practice. I haven't tried in the Fit and probably won't.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member
Did it all the time in my 90 Civic HB... my dad taught me how to do it in this beater Datsun we used for surfing. As the years went on and the cars got more expensive, I did it less and less. And now, even though the Fit is the cheapest car I've owned in 10 years, I'm not inclined to do it. It's still pretty much brand-new, so maybe later... maybe not.

-Mike

Old 06-05-2008, 12:58 PM
I did it a couple times in the fit to show off to my girlfriend. It blew her mind that you could shift without the clutch.

Actually I knew this chick who's dad used to race old mazda rx-7s and she could shift that thing from 1st to 3rd to 5th, no clutch and the car would be at 80mph before you knew it.

Last edited by jits14; 06-05-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Giggles
Hey just a quick question, has any one attempted clutchless shifting in the 5MT? I've done this in old Toyota's and my buddy's Sunfire but have been too much of a wuss to try it in my Fit. If done right it can save unnecessary wear on the clutch but on the other hand if done wrong your gears will turn to hamburger (i.e. Grinded).

So have you been brave enough to try it?
Being an old racer did it almost without thinkingon a test drive. Poor salesman thought I broke the clutch. But unnecessary when I got an AT.
Age does that. But now I can pretend to be Schumacher with paddle shifters. When my California arrives I'll do a comparison.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by mahout
Being an old racer did it almost without thinkingon a test drive. Poor salesman thought I broke the clutch. But unnecessary when I got an AT.
Age does that. But now I can pretend to be Schumacher with paddle shifters. When my California arrives I'll do a comparison.
LOL! I bet the salesman sh*t his pants! I've done clutchless shifting before in my Fit just to see if I could, but do not do it on a regular basis. I learned to drive in a Jeep Wrangler; it was easy as hell to shift that thing with no clutching! The Fit is more tricky; I think it's because of the throttle by wire; the engine RPMs tend to hang longer than you expect when you take your foot off the gas.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by ClaytonS15
LOL! I bet the salesman sh*t his pants! I've done clutchless shifting before in my Fit just to see if I could, but do not do it on a regular basis. I learned to drive in a Jeep Wrangler; it was easy as hell to shift that thing with no clutching! The Fit is more tricky; I think it's because of the throttle by wire; the engine RPMs tend to hang longer than you expect when you take your foot off the gas.

agreed....damn drive by wire!! JK, it is a better system once u get used to it

Old 07-16-2008, 10:13 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Is it the drive-by-wire that makes it harder, or the cable shifter? Most of the other vehicles I see listed here have hard linkage, not cables. Hmmm, I may have to go out and dust off the old skillz....

Oh yeah, it doesn't really do much to save the clutch if you know how to shift in the first place. You still have to clutch into first from a stop, and take off from a stop with the clutch, and that's when you do the most damage anyway.

Quick Reply: Clutchless shifting MT