General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Honda Fit Sport is Consumer Reports' Best MPG per Dollar Car

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 08:26 PM
5 Year Member
Honda Fit Sport is Consumer Reports' Best MPG per Dollar Car

In the new issue of consumer reports, they rated small cars for the best MPG, and guess who came out on top? That's right, the Fit!! Take a look at the attached page, and discuss.

Doug
Name:  fitmpg.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  230.3 KB

Old 06-02-2008, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
that is awesome HONDA FIT FTW!!!!!

Old 06-02-2008, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member
Man they learn QUIICK
I made the same calc 3 months ago and posted it on here to share with you.
As you can mine has a tad more detail

Did someone send them my stuff

Old 06-02-2008, 09:27 PM
I wonder where the sport auto is on the list?

Old 06-02-2008, 09:29 PM
5 Year Member
i would assume it's roughly equivalent to the base Fit.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:51 PM
base?

I own an MT sport so this thrills me BUT why did the base MT get 2 MPG less in their tests? The drive trains are identical! Only the tires and wheels are different as far a running gear is concerned. Bang per $ the base should win.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member
Unless it says manual, they were testing auto trans cars, so the base was auto. That really shows the penalty of the auto box on mpgs.

HF

Old 06-03-2008, 12:20 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
hahah that's cool you just posted this up. i just read the article in the magazine today too.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:10 PM
Glad I purchased the fit before these recent popularity . Pretty sure dealerships will sell (some already are) them at msrp or worse at jacked up prices with the increased demands

Old 06-03-2008, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
How does Fit Sport get better than the Base? Base is lighter and costs less.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by kmdebit
Because the sport is a better car

Old 06-03-2008, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member
how is the base different from the sport i'm still not really sure about the difference between the two.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kmdebit
they tested the sport with a MT, and the base they tested had an AT. that's why it got better mpg.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member
Anyone notice that with all the praises Honda is getting for the Fit. TV and media ads for the Fit seem to be at a minimum at best? I would think would go with the flow and plaster ads everywhere. But then I guess they don't want to canibalize sales of their other cars.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by FITrunner
Anyone notice that with all the praises Honda is getting for the Fit. TV and media ads for the Fit seem to be at a minimum at best? I would think would go with the flow and plaster ads everywhere. But then I guess they don't want to canibalize sales of their other cars.
That's probably part of it, but they also don't have the capacity right now to supply more. If all the Fits they can build fly off the lot, why bother to advertise?

Old 06-03-2008, 07:21 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
hey, that's the car i got.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:18 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Heh. I cancelled my CR subscription 15 years ago because of their unreliable test methods and weird sense of what constitutes a truly good value.

Back then I bought a refrigerator based on their tests and it was awful; several months later they "updated" their test methods for refrigerators due to wildly skewed results from their old methods.

They test lawn tractors by mowing a football field, and rate them based on which one mows evenly for the least money. Who has a football-field smooth lawn? Not me, that's for sure! I need something that's going to do a decent job on slopes, dips, and inclines. Not to mention that the cheapie department store mowers fall apart in 5 years, while the more expensive one I bought 15 years ago is still going strong. Those are just two examples of their inaccuracy. Don't get me started on their built-in bias!

I bought a Fit for exactly the reasons they tout in the article -- and some they don't; great MPG for the buck, ride and handling that earn the Fit a spot on Car&Driver's 10 Best list, nifty looks, active aftermarket. And let's not forget it's a Honda.

Consumer Reports -- who needs 'em.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wdb
Heh. I cancelled my CR subscription 15 years ago because of their unreliable test methods and weird sense of what constitutes a truly good value.

Back then I bought a refrigerator based on their tests and it was awful; several months later they "updated" their test methods for refrigerators due to wildly skewed results from their old methods.

They test lawn tractors by mowing a football field, and rate them based on which one mows evenly for the least money. Who has a football-field smooth lawn? Not me, that's for sure! I need something that's going to do a decent job on slopes, dips, and inclines. Not to mention that the cheapie department store mowers fall apart in 5 years, while the more expensive one I bought 15 years ago is still going strong. Those are just two examples of their inaccuracy. Don't get me started on their built-in bias!

I bought a Fit for exactly the reasons they tout in the article -- and some they don't; great MPG for the buck, ride and handling that earn the Fit a spot on Car&Driver's 10 Best list, nifty looks, active aftermarket. And let's not forget it's a Honda.

you just sound bitter, now don't you?

Old 06-04-2008, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wdb
I like them. I don't have the time or skills to do any detailed research. Regardless of there recommendation, they have details on big items saving me time.

I still have the issue that had the 4 subcompacts and put the Honda Fit on my Radar. Based on that Dec 2006 read, I did not need to look at the other ones in the class and just focused on the FIT.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
CR is there for info. But much like everything else, you have to take their ratings with a grain of salt. For all you know the guy who wrote the report just lit up a big crack pipe and was off his rocker. So you never know, the writers are human, hence the reviews can go either way.

I usually try to source reviews or references from multiple places before I make a choice. It can be a pain and it takes more time. But in the end it makes the choices I make easier. But I also keep in the back of my mind that potentially its possible I get stuck with a lemon regardless of what the reviews say.

Seriously it took me about 2 years to decide on my NSX. I checked with clubs, drivers, owners, etc etc. I test drove multiple Porsches, Ferrari's, Vette's, and Mustang's. Also made me look into my own mind as to what I really wanted and what I could live with. So far its worked. After almost 9 years, I still love my car. Even as faster cars come and go, I wouldn't trade my NSX for the world. My TV same thing, took about a year or so of looking at the feedback of the diff brands out there. Sharp Aquos FTW!
So if you have the time, I say use it.

Last edited by FITrunner; 06-04-2008 at 06:49 PM.