General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Honda Fit Vtec =\

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 01:14 PM
Just wait the Fit will be the fastest one on the road....when every SUV owner has to ride a bicycle to work ect

Old 05-30-2008, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by claymore
Which do you think is more accurate a "WEB article" or the Honda manual?? Apparently you think the web is more accurate. This is your INCORRECT QUOTE from post #8

"Sorry, no fat high rpm lobe"

You should try getting a repair manual and do your own research and then you would know that the "Blanket description" is Honda's own description (not mine or anybody on the web's description but Honda's) of THEIR SYSTEM. What don't you understand about the low cam is used at low speeds and the high cam is used at high speeds very simple but we can do the whole system just for you if you want??? RE-READ the article and get a repair manual and you can see photos of the low and high lift cam lobes.

And I know more about the Vtec system than you will ever know because I take the time to be correct in my posts, I research them where it counts THE HONDA REPAIR MANUAL unlike you making your wrong guesses.

Ha ha, WOW. You get very upset very easily it seems. What a rant for nothing.
I'm very sure that you know more about VTEC than I ever will, I mean you said so yourself. I do however have a very thorough understanding of Honda's various VTEC systems. From the SOHC VTEC, VETC-E to DOHC VTEC, and i-VTEC. I've been into Honda's for 15 years and have owned several and do all my own mechanic work. My "no fat lobe" line is in reference to a 3rd high lift, high duration cam lobe like in the DOHC VTEC system.
I just re-read the web article, (which seems to be accurate and I have been trying to find other sources to confirm the information), it states, "The VTEC mechanism on the L15A VTEC is that of a 1-valve/2-valve system for the intake side only. The exhaust side always functions as a 2-valve system. So the L15A VTEC is a 12valve/16valve system."..."So the L15A VTEC uses a 12valve/16valve VTEC system. A nice by-product of a 12v/16v system is the offset placement of the intake valve during 12v mode and this gives us a nice property of inducing swirl in the intake air-flow besides enabling two effective valve sizes. At low-rpms, only 1 intake valve opens while the other is basically 'dead' or not operating."..."At higher-rpms both intake valves opens and the engine now operates in 16valve mode." Yes, please quote where it says low cam and high cam because I just can't seem to find it.
So my quote is correct. The L15 doesn't have an aggressive 3rd cam profile like the DOHC VTEC system has. If you can provide some exploded diagrams or a detailed description of the operation, I'd love to see them because I love to learn and if I'm very wrong about the L15 VTEC system then I want to know and learn.
With that said, this forum really doesn't need your crass attitude, and you don't need to get so butt hurt if someone challenges your statements. Use opportunities like this to teach, not fly off the handle. Take a deep breath and count to ten. This is just an internet forum and doesn't mean squat in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited by Buzzbomb; 05-30-2008 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:46 PM
Banned
Simple you can't understand the Honda system description. You don't want to learn you just want to let everybody know of your vast experience working on cars OTHER THAN THE JAZZ/FIT which doesn't apply here.

Your "guess" quoted is still wrong. If you want to learn about the Jazz/Fit get yourself a repair manual (and do your own research) and it will enlighten you to the FACTS of the Vtec system USED ON THE JAZZ/FIT. Which has a high lobe, low lobe system just ask Honda.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
claymore: you have got the know how, but man your delivery is so off. people would be so much more willing to listen to your advice if it wasn't so damn condescending and sometimes delivered in very child-like 'i know everything' manner.

i will say that while i'm not expert on the vtec mechanism on the l15, that torque surge is proably due to that high cam...hence a top end that is aided by vtec (as thats what vtec does, increase hp and tq up high and down low.)

Old 05-30-2008, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
I think the two rocker arms on each side lock together at about 4500 rpm to increase intake with more valve area and the exhaust valve also increases flow by more exhaust valve area and may delay exhaust closing to improve exhaust flow. Without VTEC the engine probably develops only 90 to 96 hp..
However, I have a sneaking suspicion that the secondary cam lobes are not intended for power but improved economy. Wonder if Iskendarian is working on that? Isky used to develop cams based on 'old' ones thrown over the fence next door. I believe that the Fit can easily get 140 HP or more from this engine if mpg was not the major concern.
Ps: at that Isky was next door to American Honda. I visited both.

Last edited by mahout; 06-01-2008 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by eldaino
claymore: you have got the know how, but man your delivery is so off. people would be so much more willing to listen to your advice if it wasn't so damn condescending and sometimes delivered in very child-like 'i know everything' manner.
I agree and well said. People can get cocky over the oddest things.

Forget reading a freaking Honda manual, after 5 minutes of that I'm ready to fall asleep! Neverless this has been a very informative (and entertaining) thread.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:43 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
yeah i wish the fit had i-vtec

i love the feeling of just going, then BAM!
you're in the back of your seat and that si is just roaring haha

so awesome

Old 05-30-2008, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kyle.
yeah i wish the fit had i-vtec

i love the feeling of just going, then BAM!
you're in the back of your seat and that si is just roaring haha

so awesome

its funny you mention that, because the BAM feeling of ivtec is nothing in comparsion to the performance oriented version the b series had. i vtec is more of a step system, and while the BAM is still there its not the same on/off feeling gsrs and and b16 equipped cars had. but ivtec is awsome nonetheless.

remember, the new fit is going to be an sohc ivtec, like the new civics r18. i bet its going to smoothen the powerband a bit.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:00 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
Originally Posted by eldaino
its funny you mention that, because the BAM feeling of ivtec is nothing in comparsion to the performance oriented version the b series had. i vtec is more of a step system, and while the BAM is still there its not the same on/off feeling gsrs and and b16 equipped cars had. but ivtec is awsome nonetheless.

remember, the new fit is going to be an sohc ivtec, like the new civics r18. i bet its going to smoothen the powerband a bit.
very true,
yeah now i just wish the new fit wasn't so ugly.... but ehh,

Old 05-31-2008, 07:51 AM
5 Year Member
Every forum seems to have a couple of these types of members, it's the way it is.

Hey, thanks for the mature PM claymore,

"Yo noobie thanks for the rep hit but guess you are so much a noobie that you do know that you wack at me cost me nothing because you are such a noobie you don't have any power to effect anyone yet. Nice though though. But guess what Mine count big time but you already know that. HUMMMM maybe we can push you into negative territory:rotfl : "

Yes, I gave him a neg rep for his poor social skills and he got mad. He gave me a neg in return, but unlike him, I am not concerned with my rep number.

I will stand by my statement that claymore and I have a difference in opinion when it comes to the words "High Cam".

I can agree that 12v=low cam and 16v=high cam, but my original statement was that there is no aggressive 3rd lobe for high end performance as the L15 is not a performance motor. I think most will agree.

As I have seen and heard from others, that this is how claymore is on a regular basis. The PM was good though!

Last edited by Buzzbomb; 05-31-2008 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:04 AM
The Fit is tuned for economy, not performance. That is why it is slow. I had a 1987 VW GTI. It only had 102 hp but was much faster then the fit. Gearing, TQ were fitted to performance (for the time).

Old 05-31-2008, 08:18 AM
Originally Posted by Buzzbomb
Every forum seems to have a couple of these types of members, it's the way it is.

"Yo noobie thanks for the rep hit but guess you are so much a noobie that you do know that you wack at me cost me nothing because you are such a noobie you don't have any power to effect anyone yet. Nice though though. But guess what Mine count big time but you already know that. HUMMMM maybe we can push you into negative territory:rotfl : "
Wow, that is sad. But you are correct, every forum has them.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:42 AM
Banned
That is THE most fuzzy logic I have ever seen NOW You say your quote is

"there is no aggressive 3rd lobe for high end performance as the L15 is not a performance motor."

But all the members have to do is look back at your REAL ORIGINAL POST #8 which says

"Sorry, no fat high rpm lobe"

So now you are admitting that I was right all along and there is a HIGH LIFT LOBE but get this folks it's not a Real high lift lobe because it's not aggressive enough for you??????? Is that what you are saying now??? How high of lift over the low lift must a lobe have to be aggressive enough for you????

And the topic for this thread is Honda Fit Vtec and the posts were on if the L-15a has a high and low lift cam lobes not if they are high performance or aggressive or fat enough for you nothing about high performance so stop trying to change the subject.

Post #50 "there is no aggressive 3rd lobe for high end performance"

The few words you CHANGED gives your most recent post a whole different meaning than your original incorrect one.

And every forum has people like him that post incorrect information and keep trying to defend that incorrect information even knowing it is incorrect as it is with this case.

and ps The motive power of the Jazz/Fit is an internal combustion engine not a Motor.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:46 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by ProMed
Wow, that is sad. But you are correct, every forum has them.
AW poor boy he gives me a negative that does nothing and I can't neg him????? Yea right get real that's not sad it's the real world. "Can't we all just get along"

Old 05-31-2008, 11:08 AM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
How about we all play nice? We all have our own opinions.
Theyve all been displayed in this thread.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:09 AM
5 Year Member
Clay,

I had to change the wording so you more clearing understood what I was getting at, in context to the OP opening thread statement,

"Is it just me that dosent feel it? but it seems like there isnt even vtec... my single cam d series motor had a small crossover but you could hear it... in the fit i feel as if i dont even have Vtec"

The original poster, they way I read it, thought he was expecting some huge surge in power. My statement that you keep quoting points out the L15 does not have a performace VTEC system. It was nothing to do with me and if " aggressive enough for me??? " You're off point.

I have not changed my mind about anything other than the fact you like to nit pick and need to have everything written a certain way, if not look out, you make snap judgements and fly off the handle. For example,

"ps The motive power of the Jazz/Fit is an internal combustion engine not a Motor."

You are something else.

Last edited by Buzzbomb; 06-01-2008 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:30 AM
5 Year Member
Clay,

I had to change the wording so you more clearing understood what I was getting at, in context to the OP opening thread statement,

"Is it just me that dosent feel it? but it seems like there isnt even vtec... my single cam d series motor had a small crossover but you could hear it... in the fit i feel as if i dont even have Vtec"

The original poster, they way I read it, thought he was expecting some huge surge in power. My statement that you keep quoting points out the L15 does not have a performace VTEC system. It was nothing to do with me and if " aggressive enough for me??? " You're off point.

I have not changed my mind about anything other than the fact you like to nit pick and need to have everything written a certain way, if not look out, you make snap judgements and fly off the handle. For example,

"ps The motive power of the Jazz/Fit is an internal combustion engine not a Motor."

You are something else.

just remember there is no minimum age or intelligence requirement to join this site.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:32 AM
5 Year Member

Yes, I gave him a neg rep for his poor social skills and he got mad. He gave me a neg in return, but unlike him, I am not concerned with my rep number.

I will stand by my statement that claymore and I have a difference in opinion when it comes to the words "High Cam".

I can agree that 12v=low cam and 16v=high cam, but my original statement was that there is no aggressive 3rd lobe for high end performance as the L15 is not a performance motor. I think most will agree.

As I have seen and heard from others, that this is how claymore is on a regular basis. The PM was good though!

i've got a collection of em too...they are quite entertaining in a arguing with my 10 year old little brothers best friend sort of way.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:41 AM
5 Year Member
First, the internet isn't always wrong or incorrect. Second, not all of us are guessing. I'm sure you would like to think so.

"At higher-rpms both intake valves opens and the engine now operates in 16valve mode. During my test-loan of the Jazz 1.5VTEC from Honda Malaysia, I thought the switch to be at approx 3,500rpm based on the subtle intake note change. When this happens, it effectively doubles the size of the intake valve, enabling almost double the amount of air-flow into the engine. The nett result is much better mid-range and high-end power on the L15A-VTEC, allowing it to deliver 110ps or almost 25% more power than the equivalent L15A i-DSI unit. In operation, it does not feel like running out of breath at all when entering high-rpms. Subjectively, there is a nice power surge after around 4000rpm and the power curve published by Honda (on the left) actually shows this surge. Indeed the profile of the power curve is not that much different from the B16A DOHC VTEC for e.g. which is supposed to be a 'true' 3-rocker arms VTEC engine. To enable this high level of power output, the exhaust system for the engine is actually upgraded in comparison to the L15A i-DSI system. So the rate of flow for the VTEC engine is now 55litres per second as compared to 50 litres per second for the i-DSI and this is achieved by increasing the diameter of the exhuast piping from 38.1mm to 42.7mm while the rear muffler volume is increased from 8 litres to 10 litres at the same time."
The Truly Amazing Honda Fit/Jazz

"The other nett result was also the fact that we now have the rather unique opportunity to compare the power delivery of the L15A VTEC in complete low-cams (VTEC disabled) and low+high cams (VTEC enabled). The chart is shown on the left. Note how the low-cams output tapers off at a very low rpm, 3500rpm (which is exactly the same rpm as I had deduced in my original full Jazz VTEC review, based on listening to the engine note change). This means that the so-called 'high-cams' mode (where both intake valves are working) actually operates over a larger rpm range than the low-cams mode, if we subtract the idle rpm from the range. I.e. low-cams works from around 1,000rpm to 3,500rpm which is 2,500rpm whereas high-cams works from 3,500 rpm to almost 6,500rpm which is almost 3,000rpm. Of more importance is to note how much more power the high-cam mode delivers. This should prove once and for all that all the talks about how 'economy VTEC' or 'SOHC-VTEC' are 'wimpy' for power output are rather misguided. It really is possible to deliver lots of power using the SOHC-VTEC mechanism. As they say, the trick is in the implementation."
Jazz VTEC Power

Both articles are a good read

The VTEC system in the L15 is a 12 valve-16 valve operation. Much like the VTEC-E of the HX. The exhaust valves are fixed and the intake goes from one valve to two depending on rpm and load. Sorry, no fat high rpm lobe.

VTEC on the valve cover means it has variable valve timing, not mad powa at 5,000 rpemzzzz. It can be used for performance or economy.
And that is correct. It needs no fixing.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:23 AM
Banned
Clay,

I had to change the wording so you more clearing understood what I was getting at, in context to the OP opening thread statement, HA what a laugh keep on trying to spin it you would make a great politician or used car salesman

Here's your original post nothing about having a performance Vtec system

the VTEC system in the L15 is a 12 valve-16 valve operation. Much like the VTEC-E of the HX. The exhaust valves are fixed and the intake goes from one valve to two depending on rpm and load. Sorry, no fat high rpm lobe.

VTEC on the valve cover means it has variable valve timing, not mad powa at 5,000 rpemzzzz. It can be used for performance or economy. __________________

I have not changed my mind about anything other than the fact you like to nit pick and need to have everything written a certain way, Sorry, I "NEED" to have correct information written not incorrect information ,which this is, so noobies don't start to believe your incorrect information

direct from your post #8
no fat high rpm lobe.
You wrote it and others can read it for themselves that information is incorrect and now you admit it but can't come right out and say so you have to spin it by saying it's not high enough for you. Quit the spinning and just come out and say it the L-15a engine has both high lift and low lift lobes on it's camshaft..... Just like the system description I posted proves beyond any doubt but you can't believe even Honda and it's their engine. Just free your soul and set yourself free.... It's got a high lift lobe.... now doesn't that feel better to get that off your chest and stop all the spinning?

if not look out, you make snap judgements and fly off the handle. For example,

Just look in the post from cojaro see anything called MOTOR nope it's ENGINE in this article and anything else from Honda. It's their product and they know it's an engine like professionals refer to it not motor which is for rednecks and cool boys.

You are something else.
Yep sure am I'm CORRECT

Last edited by claymore; 06-01-2008 at 10:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Honda Fit Vtec =\