General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Honda Fit Vtec =\

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 09:05 PM
i mean just look at our cars... they are rated for what? 29 city and 34 highway or so... but most of us get 34 city without doing anything drastic except not shiting at 7k... i shift at 3k unless im messing with someone

Old 05-28-2008, 09:06 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by solbrothers
idk dude, ive only used the the AC once *on the day i bought the car*, and i haven't needed to use the defrost yet.
I use mine all the time. Some dont use their A/C due to the car being too slow. MOD IT then. My car moves around fine. It just sucks when I have to pass a grandma on a bike, or a city bus. I have to downshift. :-/
And I get great MPG with my A/C on, which I use all the time.

I was only going by the member that installed that VTEC light. The light was on probably 95% of driving. Hahha. So VTEC is always on/engaged.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
i don't use AC because i don't use it. ive never used the AC in any of my cars. im not a baby. lol

Old 05-28-2008, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by zRollerskate
idunno. maybe. im just saying that honda is interpreting the new dfco in all their new motors... designed for highway driving to get amazing milage

you mean vcm? its implemented on the new pilot and accord. and yeah, the element does have a k24, just verified it.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 1WayFit
The Truly Amazing Honda Fit/Jazz

Read please. This thread has too much guessing and that's not a good sight on a Fit forum. We need knowledge not guesses.

very good post. its not vtec-e. according to the article, it would be impossible to have a vtec-e type mechanism and still have lots of top end power. or the 12/16/whatever set up tha the l15 has.

and according to the dyno, there is a power surge after 4k, so we do have a classic vtec top end...its just not the same as a b series or something along those lines.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:26 PM
5 Year Member
im just saying that honda is interpreting the new dfco in all their new motors...
come again?

Old 05-28-2008, 09:27 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by eldaino
and according to the dyno, there is a power surge after 4k, so we do have a classic vtec top end...its just not the same as a b series or something along those lines.
Hahha.... Not really, its just a smooth power curve.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by Buzzbomb
come again?
dfco. its the deceleration fuel cutoff... going on a steady decline of a good distance you can leave the car in gear and switch the key from ignition to acc and the car dosent mess up... i read it on a diff post the other day... it simply makes it use less gas then idle.. ive been doing it around town lately... makes somewhat of a difference actually... but be careful cuz you lose power steering and power brakes... so when your about to level out and drop speed simply switch the key back to ignition and the car goes back to normal

Old 05-28-2008, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mx6GT89
Hahha.... Not really, its just a smooth power curve.

thats what it feels like to me too, but the dyno don't like. again, this isn't b series vtec its a hell of a lot less noticeable, but apparently its there.

i'm not totally crazy ray.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
dfco. its the deceleration fuel cutoff... going on a steady decline of a good distance you can leave the car in gear and switch the key from ignition to acc and the car dosent mess up... i read it on a diff post the other day... it simply makes it use less gas then idle.. ive been doing it around town lately... makes somewhat of a difference actually... but be careful cuz you lose power steering and power brakes... so when your about to level out and drop speed simply switch the key back to ignition and the car goes back to normal

Edit. No turning the car off while driving is called a Forced Auto Stop. DFCO is coasting in gear. DFCO is as old as EFI itself.

Last edited by Buzzbomb; 05-28-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:00 PM
haha i want a vtec light... maybe then id get the impression im going fast =P

Old 05-28-2008, 10:09 PM
im gonna have to go with eldaino and the dyno i do notice a pick up after 4k and you can hear it in the intake aswell

Old 05-30-2008, 10:35 AM
Banned
Can't get any better than this description DIRECTLY FROM THE HONDA REPAIR MANUAL:

VTEC System L15A1 engine

• The VTEC system changes the cam profile to correspond to the engine speed by the VTEC solenoid valve. It maximizes torque at low engine speeds and output at high engine speed.
  • The low lift cam is used at low engine speeds, and the high lift cam is used at high engine speeds.
Simple it DOES have both high and low cam lobes.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:43 AM
Banned
There are posts about Vtec engagement points for you perusal at your leisure. But people with Vtec lights (including myself) installed report opening points of 2600 to 2900 RPM ( it's hard to be extremely accurate with the small tachometer gradation marks). The surge at 3500-4000 is just the torque surge like in a motorcycle when it "gets up on the pipe"

Last edited by claymore; 05-30-2008 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:46 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah...and?

-------------------------------------------------------

I notice a little pickup after 4k, but not much. Still slow

Old 05-30-2008, 11:04 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Buzzbomb
The VTEC system in the L15 is a 12 valve-16 valve operation. Much like the VTEC-E of the HX. The exhaust valves are fixed and the intake goes from one valve to two depending on rpm and load. Sorry, no fat high rpm lobe.

VTEC on the valve cover means it has variable valve timing, not mad powa at 5,000 rpemzzzz. It can be used for performance or economy.

YEA AND........ correcting this bit ^^^^^^ of incorrect advice

so what's your problem????

Old 05-30-2008, 11:14 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
FYI

There was an incident where somebody had a Fit that didn't have the VTEC "switch" turned on. Probably have to search for it though.

Maybe it is just me, but I find it pretty noticible when you are accelerating and the valve timing changes kick in. Mind you this is the first car I have owned that has variable valving.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:16 AM
Banned
There is no Vtec SWITCH. There is a Vtec solenoid, Vtec oil pressure sensor, and the ECU but no switch you can turn off and on.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by claymore
YEA AND........ correcting this bit ^^^^^^ of incorrect advice

so what's your problem????
What you quoted out of the repair manual is a blanket description. Does it go into any specifics? Can you provide any? I got my info from the L15 web article. And where did I offer advise? Kinda lame saying someone is wrong about something that you really have no idea one way or the other.

Last edited by Buzzbomb; 05-30-2008 at 12:36 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:00 PM
Banned
Which do you think is more accurate a "WEB article" or the Honda manual?? Apparently you think the web is more accurate. This is your INCORRECT QUOTE from post #8

"Sorry, no fat high rpm lobe"

You should try getting a repair manual and do your own research and then you would know that the "Blanket description" is Honda's own description (not mine or anybody on the web's description but Honda's) of THEIR SYSTEM. What don't you understand about the low cam is used at low speeds and the high cam is used at high speeds very simple but we can do the whole system just for you if you want??? RE-READ the article and get a repair manual and you can see photos of the low and high lift cam lobes.

And I know more about the Vtec system than you will ever know because I take the time to be correct in my posts, I research them where it counts THE HONDA REPAIR MANUAL unlike you making your wrong guesses.

Last edited by claymore; 05-30-2008 at 01:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Honda Fit Vtec =\