General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Had an Excellent 70 MPG trip this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
Had an Excellent 70 MPG trip this weekend

Well ladies and gentlemen, sometimes everything comes into alignment and gives you the perfect conditions. Which is in stark contrast what I usually have to put up with.

Record long segment on Saturday!!
Northampton, PA to Bensalem, PA; 71.3 miles at 70.2 MPG!!!!! (!!!!)
Mid 70°F, Perfect 10-15 MPH tailwind down the PA Turnpike NE Extension. Strictly P&G, with glides that seemed to last forever.

Other Segments:
Sat:
Home to Northampton, PA -- ~35 miles -- 55 MPG . (Crosswind, and uphill)

Mon:
Parents' to Home -- 77 miles -- 63 MPG (alot of work, vicious cross/headwind)

And various other short trips this weekend running between friends' places, never had a segment below 53 MPG.

Half tank was at 260, now at 1/3rd tank with about 360.

This is going to be a tank for the record books... if it ever runs out!

Old 05-27-2008, 04:24 PM
Wow that's great. 70 MPG gallon is a great achievment. But it also seems bit sketchy. You would absolutely have the best conditions for that to happen.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:36 PM
Sorry don't believe you.....

Old 05-27-2008, 06:06 PM
5 Year Member
Yea... I call BS too. My best ever was 44mpg on a trip (not the tank). And I have seen a few get high 40's on a tank. I just don't see how you could hit 70. Wanna elaborate on all the things you did to get it?

Old 05-27-2008, 06:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by grimm79
Wow that's great. 70 MPG gallon is a great achievment. But it also seems bit sketchy. You would absolutely have the best conditions for that to happen.
I did.. I had a great tailwind coming down the turnpike

As for everyone else. my usual trip between my house and the old neighborhood is over 60 MPG. I certainly didn't tamper with the scangauge.

If you still disbelieve perhaps you need to go over to cleanmpg and see what other people are getting. A fellow hypermiler in a civic DX is always in the low 60's. Other members with a Saturn SL and Hyundai Elantra are getting similar numbers too.

I exclusively used Pulse and Glide, with a 49-63 MPH window.

Last edited by RichXKU; 05-27-2008 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:42 PM
Well see that is the thing about the internet there is no official proof involved....... You can take pictures but you can also always photoshop things or mess with things outside before you take a picture. If you had a video which is asking way tooo much of you I might believe it but sorry I just won't ever believe you on the whole 70mpg thing and even the 60 mpg thing.

If I see it I will believe it ( in person ).

Old 05-27-2008, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
You are very shortsighted. Saying I'm lying because its a high number is pretty bad, especially as stated above, that other hypermilers are doing the same thing.

I suppose my fuel gauge and trip odometer are lying too and I didnt get 260 miles at half or have 350 miles at 1/3.

Last edited by RichXKU; 05-27-2008 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:07 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
I'll vouch for him. He's a complete maniac when it comes to this hypermiling stuff!

*wave* Hi Rich.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wdb
I'll vouch for him. He's a complete maniac when it comes to this hypermiling stuff!

*wave* Hi Rich.
Haha. Yes if it wasn't for your 35 MPG test drive I'd have gotten better than 50.1 on my last tank

Old 05-27-2008, 07:27 PM
Retired Moderator
Sorry man, i just dont think its possible. Unless you put the car in nuetral and had a semi push you to your destination haha.

Tyler

Old 05-27-2008, 07:33 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
yea man, im not saying its bs, just very very hard to believe.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:41 PM
5 Year Member
Well that type of number is what you get when you drive with the engine off for almost half the trip. I'm not claiming 60 or 70 for the whole tank. I'm hoping for a 55 MPG tank, and/or 500 miles before I need to fill up.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:52 PM
Luvs Dah b00st!
NOPE not happening sorry bro scan gauge is not that accurate for MPG

Old 05-27-2008, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
My last tank it was only 2 MPG off. And again, scangauge or not, the fuel gauge and trip odometer don't lie!

Old 05-27-2008, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member
Rich, Are you keeping track of the SG results vs pump and trip odometer at exch fill?

I'd be interested to hear how they vary.

My miles on my SG are always short and I'm certain is all the eng off coasting.

The gal are pretty close

I have yet to see 70 for any long stretch, but sure hope to.

Did you happen to have to drive in the opposite direction under the same conditions?

Old 05-27-2008, 11:10 PM
5 Year Member
Last 2 fills on the SG were within 2 MPG of what I really got, with no correction. I have no tank data for this tank because I had the SG in the STi for a bit.

The last time I did a long trip (80 mi) with similar conditions I got within 1 MPG. It was a few weeks ago with equal crosswinds on the to and from, I got 64.x and 65.x

Engine-off gliding shouldn't cost you any more than 0.02 to 0.05 mi on the SG and odometer. In preparing for a glide, if you catch the RPMs dropping at around 1200 and take just under 1 second to key ON-ACC-ON, that seems to be the way that results in the least amount of time spent in "acc" and not calculating, without risking the engine sputtering back on.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:43 PM
This is way beyond the point of driving a car. This is plain crazy. I'm sorry, but even if this is a game to you guys I would still venture to say street racing is a safe comparison in terms of safety. It's illegal to talk on a cell phone or eat an apple while driving in some places, but a rather large (and growing) amount of drivers are turning their cars off while driving on a highway? As a rule I stay out of ECO-Fit because of my disagreement with practices like this, but every now and again i will chime in to say what a bad idea i think it is. -guess today is that day-

I did not realize at the beginning of this thread that you were turning the car off while on the highway between 50 and 63mph respectively. I had a slight problem with people turning off their cars when coasting to a STOP, but when traveling at speeds over 60mph i have an even bigger problem. This is not only unsafe for you, this is unsafe for everyone else on the road. Not to mention how irritating it must be for the drivers behind you! I would throw an absolute tantrum if the guy in front of me was speeding up and slowing down, speeding up then slowing down constantly for a 70 mile stretch. If ever there was a wonder why people suffer from road rage, now i have the answer.

If you are short on money there are other things you can do to help subsidies casts of things, but i doubt that you are seeing as you have a very nice garage which is most likely attached to a nice house, and you have an STI in the said garage so I don't think money is the issue. Now that we have established you are not poor we can move on the next topic -the environment-. If you really wanted to do your part you would have purchased a hybrid or a flex fuel vehicle, or maybe converted a car to run on bio-diesel ....... but you didn't. Therefore i can only conclude that this is a game in which the person with the highest MPG achieves some sort of status among peers. The only thing that was not mentioned is the risk factor involved -for NO necessary reason- and danger to others on the road while fiddling with your scan gauge, ignition/key, trip/odometer, and watching your speed to keep in your perfect window for "P&G" driving. I don't care what people do as long as it has minimal chance of effecting those around them. This does not fall in that category, and should be made illegal for safety reasons.

I am not calling anyone out, nor am i saying that anyone is an idiot. All I am trying to express is the use of common sense and reason. If someone -anyone- can explain the reasoning behind this I will apologize and edit my post down to one pleasant congratulation for the entire ECO-Fit community, but the reason has to be viable and applicable to this scenario. Consider this a challenge if you want, but all i want is a deeper understanding of what i consider lunacy.

-hope i did not offend anyone, that is not my intention. just making a point.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:18 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
^^^ My first reaction to many of the hypermiling techniques a few months ago when I first heard of them was the same as yours. Today I'm shutting my engine off for minutes at a time. I assure you that no one is being put at risk -- even me -- and no one is being inconvenienced. It's just a matter of picking the right time and conditions. "Moderation in all things" and all that.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:29 AM
Idk I turned off my engine today and stepped on the brake I got one good hard push until it was damn near physically impossible to push it down again. And as far as me saying your lying because it is a high number is exactly that because isn't that the number the thing that is at stake.... if someone said they got their fit to 160mph i would call them a liar too.

Ohh and I am farsighted now shortsighted. I have trouble seeing things at a short distance that is what my glasses are for.....

Like I said when I see it in person I will believe it.....

Old 05-28-2008, 03:11 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by cavie187
This is way beyond the point of driving a car. This is plain crazy. I'm sorry, but even if this is a game to you guys I would still venture to say street racing is a safe comparison in terms of safety. It's illegal to talk on a cell phone or eat an apple while driving in some places, but a rather large (and growing) amount of drivers are turning their cars off while driving on a highway? As a rule I stay out of ECO-Fit because of my disagreement with practices like this, but every now and again i will chime in to say what a bad idea i think it is. -guess today is that day-

I did not realize at the beginning of this thread that you were turning the car off while on the highway between 50 and 63mph respectively. I had a slight problem with people turning off their cars when coasting to a STOP, but when traveling at speeds over 60mph i have an even bigger problem. This is not only unsafe for you, this is unsafe for everyone else on the road. Not to mention how irritating it must be for the drivers behind you! I would throw an absolute tantrum if the guy in front of me was speeding up and slowing down, speeding up then slowing down constantly for a 70 mile stretch. If ever there was a wonder why people suffer from road rage, now i have the answer.

If you are short on money there are other things you can do to help subsidies casts of things, but i doubt that you are seeing as you have a very nice garage which is most likely attached to a nice house, and you have an STI in the said garage so I don't think money is the issue. Now that we have established you are not poor we can move on the next topic -the environment-. If you really wanted to do your part you would have purchased a hybrid or a flex fuel vehicle, or maybe converted a car to run on bio-diesel ....... but you didn't. Therefore i can only conclude that this is a game in which the person with the highest MPG achieves some sort of status among peers. The only thing that was not mentioned is the risk factor involved -for NO necessary reason- and danger to others on the road while fiddling with your scan gauge, ignition/key, trip/odometer, and watching your speed to keep in your perfect window for "P&G" driving. I don't care what people do as long as it has minimal chance of effecting those around them. This does not fall in that category, and should be made illegal for safety reasons.

I am not calling anyone out, nor am i saying that anyone is an idiot. All I am trying to express is the use of common sense and reason. If someone -anyone- can explain the reasoning behind this I will apologize and edit my post down to one pleasant congratulation for the entire ECO-Fit community, but the reason has to be viable and applicable to this scenario. Consider this a challenge if you want, but all i want is a deeper understanding of what i consider lunacy.

-hope i did not offend anyone, that is not my intention. just making a point.

Amazing as it sounds I AGREE with everything in your post and that's a
first

Quick Reply: Had an Excellent 70 MPG trip this weekend