General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Had an Excellent 70 MPG trip this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
i can agree with that. i have a few friends that drive trucks. i don't use that pulse and glide method. i just set my speed and go from there.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:59 PM
5 Year Member
ya, I mean, I bought the Fit for a fun, economical car...but I don't get greedy either. I once got 40 and 41 on a long road trip by using smooth acceleration and deceleration and setting my cruise at just a notch under 65. No turning the car on and off, no erratic speed changes...just a steady, constant speed. Granted, it was on the interstate almost the entire way...but it was a nice drive and I still made good time. If everyone is so worried about fuel economy and prices, then petition the state legislatures to lower speed limits like they did back in the 70's...there...easy fix.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
post about hypermiling...turning your car off while driving should be immediately deleted.

HOW CAN PEOPLE NOT CARE ABOUT OTHER LIVES?!?!? im done with the eco fit section. some people actually post good things here...but turning your car off is crazy.

gas for a fit isnt expensive at all. if you cant afford it get another job or ride a bike. stop risking other peoples lives to save a few dollars.

im all about taking risks and having a good time...but if you want to do risky things in a car, take it to a track where everybody is aware of what could happen. dont risk innocent people and children by playing your childish games on the public roads. complete nonsense.

Last edited by kancerr; 05-28-2008 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by solbrothers
*sigh* you have an AT fit with 17's. i don't expect you to be interested in mileage

... but you are wrong again sir........ I am interested in saving money on gas just not in a way that involves me turning off my car while still moving. I have been very conscious of my driving I had 32 mpg all city my last tank by coasting allot more than usual. I coasted as much as possible when there wasn't traffic behind me and I had extra time to get here and there. With gas prices going up i will be driving even nicer when I want to save gas but it doesn't mean that while i am doing it i can't rock 17's and be balln' lol......

Ohh and I drive a a/t because I never learned to drive a m/t so just because i drive a a/t doesn't mean I drive slow or don't care about gas or am a disgrace to man kind.....

Old 05-28-2008, 10:07 PM
Click link, then click video.

Dangers of Hypermiling - News - Charleston, SC

Old 05-28-2008, 10:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kancerr
HOW CAN PEOPLE NOT CARE ABOUT OTHER LIVES?!?!? im done with the eco fit section. some people actually post good things here...but turning your car off is crazy.

gas for a fit isnt expensive at all. if you cant afford it get another job or ride a bike. stop risking other peoples lives to save a few dollars.

im all about taking risks and having a good time...but if you want to do risky things in a car, take it to a track where everybody is aware of what could happen. dont risk innocent people and children by playing your childish games on the public roads. complete nonsense.
I'll say it again... no risk in involved. The brakes are good for 6-7 pumps and the engine is restarted in as much time as it takes to downshift. If I need to go... I go, in under a second.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:19 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Hypermiling - The new menace on the road?: Consumer Reports Cars Blog

man, hypermiling is risky business. accept that it is unsafe. street racing is unsafe aswell and that is why it is not allowed to be mentioned on internet forums. this falls under the same category, just on the other side of the spectrum.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:29 PM
5 Year Member
I absolutely refuse to accept that it is unsafe... At no time is any aspect of the vehicle out of the driver's control. My methods keep me at an average of 55 MPH in a 55 zone. If there is a problem, it is going to be due to the driver going 15-20 over and not paying attention, not from someone gliding along in the far right lane.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:54 PM
It's the mindset that you are doing NOTHING wrong that bothers me the most. How can you say "If there is a problem, it is going to be due to the driver going 15-20 over and not paying attention, not from someone gliding along in the far right lane."?

seriously, you are admitting to speeding yourself, but then try to blame the rest of the world for speeding. You say you have an average of 55mph, but to reach that you are going 63mph then falling to 49mph. If you look at this from the outside looking in you will see that once you take your own predetermined opinion out of the equation it is a dumb idea. I don;t think you are an idiot. I have read other posts you have put up, and you seem to be very logical, but I honestly think you are fighting a losing a losing battle.

In the long run what do you gain for achieving your 55mpg tank of gas?
-If it's peace of mind, then let it be at that, and begin driving like a normal human being again.
-If it's money than realize that the cost of a new starter, and the life you take off of your engine from the constant starting will outweigh the cost of the fuel you are saving.
-If it's the environment then sell the fit and get a hybrid, a bicycle, or look into taking public transportation.
-If it's bragging rights, then i was wrong about you and you ARE and idiot.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:03 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
took alot of research but here. what you are doing isnt just unsafe IT IS ILLEGAL!

Statute 169.39 COASTING.
(a) The driver of any motor vehicle when traveling upon a downgrade shall not coast with
the gears of such vehicle in neutral.

169.15 IMPEDING TRAFFIC.
No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal
and reasonable movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or
in compliance with law or except when the vehicle is temporarily unable to maintain a greater
speed due to a combination of the weight of the vehicle and the grade of the highway.

169.71 WINDSHIELD.
Subdivision 1. Prohibitions generally; exceptions. (a) A person shall not drive or operate
any motor vehicle with:
(1) a windshield cracked or discolored to an extent to limit or obstruct proper vision;
(2) any objects suspended between the driver and the windshield, other than sun visors and
rearview mirrors and electronic toll collection devices; or
(3) any sign, poster, or other nontransparent material upon the front windshield, sidewings,
or side or rear windows of the vehicle...

Old 05-28-2008, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by RichXKU
I'll say it again... no risk in involved. The brakes are good for 6-7 pumps and the engine is restarted in as much time as it takes to downshift. If I need to go... I go, in under a second.

... I don't know what kind of special fit you are driving but I give my brakes one good shove while it is off ( too the floor aka. slamming on the brakes ) and it is done.

I completely agree that this is unsafe and in my opinion it should be illegal.

If you want to get technical if I were street racing in a city chances are in a fit I wouldn't exceed 60 mph 5 mph faster than what you were claiming you were doing so in no way street racing at 60mph am I in less control than you are with your car off at 55mph........

Old 05-28-2008, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by kelsodeez
took alot of research but here. what you are doing isnt just unsafe IT IS ILLEGAL!

Statute 169.39 COASTING.
(a) The driver of any motor vehicle when traveling upon a downgrade shall not coast with
the gears of such vehicle in neutral.

169.15 IMPEDING TRAFFIC.
No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal
and reasonable movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or
in compliance with law or except when the vehicle is temporarily unable to maintain a greater
speed due to a combination of the weight of the vehicle and the grade of the highway.

169.71 WINDSHIELD.
Subdivision 1. Prohibitions generally; exceptions. (a) A person shall not drive or operate
any motor vehicle with:
(1) a windshield cracked or discolored to an extent to limit or obstruct proper vision;
(2) any objects suspended between the driver and the windshield, other than sun visors and
rearview mirrors and electronic toll collection devices; or
(3) any sign, poster, or other nontransparent material upon the front windshield, sidewings,
or side or rear windows of the vehicle...
well ....there you have it.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:30 PM
5 Year Member
Speeding is illegal too, yet everyone somehow seems to be getting away with that safely. Illegal does not equal unsafe.

And 60 MPH racing in the city is completely different from 55 on the highway.

So anyway from now on, to avoid the mob mentality, I will be driving safely.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:56 PM
Coasting laws vary as governed by each state. Law quoted was CA??

Impeding traffic: Most states have a minimum of 45mph if the speed limit is 65. ie:55>45>55 o.k.

Windows blocked??? I'm not sure why this law is quoted? Scanguage is mounted on the steering wheel stalk as shown in the pic.

Accuracy of the Scanguage can be skewed by the setup. He has said that it is within 2 mpg of the fillup by manual calculation. I don't doubt his numbers. I have witnessed others get great mileage as well as gotten 88 mpg from a Prius, 117mpg from an Insight, 77 from an 07 HCHII Hybrid, 36 mpg from a V6 Dodge Grand Caravan, 23 mpg from an 04 EC F150 4x4. Great numbers are possible from any vehicle. The new EPA numbers are easy to get.

I commute 97 miles per day round trip. At today's gas prices, what leaves more $$$in your pocket $0.065 per mile or $0.25 per mile? I started this when I thought I would have to pay out of state tuition for my son at UVA.
He was awarded a full scholarship so that was no longer a reason. Yes, it is still economics. By what I have learned, I have been able to help others save on their commutes.

As far as the attention, Hypermilers are more aware of their surroundings than other drivers. Stop lights, other drivers on the road, drivers about to pull onto the road, road sound, engine sound, and the list goes on. Awareness is one of the main factors in attaining great mpg. At 50 to 55 mph, the driver can respond to an emergency much more effectively than a driver at 65mph. CleanMPG is a great resource for answers to reaching great mpg. This is a great primer for mpg's.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:59 PM
5 Year Member
Speeding is illegal too, yet everyone somehow seems to be getting away with that safely. Illegal does not equal unsafe.
speeding = tickets, accidents, death, etc. sooooo, not everyone gets away with it.

and there's reasons some things are illegal, it's because they jeopardize people's well-being. why is talking on a cell phone illegal in some places? because it hinders your reaction time. why is drinking and driving bad? because you are incapable of controlling your vehicle.

how is turning off your car on the highway any different?

Old 05-29-2008, 12:00 AM
someone lock this thread please.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:02 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Thanks, Paul. It's true, a hypermilier is paying much closer attention to the road than your average driver, because it's necessary if you want to get decent fuel economy. If you aren't paying strict attention to the lights, traffic, and terrain as far ahead as you can see, then you lose a lot of efficiency. The majority of drivers look as far ahead as the bumper in front of them, which is the worst thing you can do.
Hmmm, I seem to recall a lot of street racers that use this EXACT excuse right down to the efficiency line (only they are talking about being efficient at maintaining their speed while weaving through traffic)

lol, just an observation don't mind me

Old 05-29-2008, 12:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cavie187
someone lock this thread please.
agreed........

Old 05-29-2008, 12:13 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pb and h
- power brakes- you have at least 3 good brake pushes left and the rest requires pushing on the brakes harder. Now, this would be the factor to worry about but one can over come this by practice and knowing your car
You guys have differences in opinion on how many pumps you get Would suck if somebody went out on this advise and thought they had 7 pumps when they had only 3.

Not hate'n, just flag'n

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 05-29-2008 at 12:22 AM.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:27 AM
If loose it on one pump, you have a leak. Booster should maintain some pressure. It will vary by the amount of pressure/stroke.

Quick Reply: Had an Excellent 70 MPG trip this weekend