General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Had an Excellent 70 MPG trip this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 05:04 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
congratulations on your grand achievement. however, i really think this "hypermiling" stuff is overrated and getting out of hand. some people are taking it way too serious that they can't even drive a car like a normal person anymore. it's become an obsession, trying to get higher mpgs and then telling people about your most recent achievements. like many other drivers, i'd be pretty annoyed if someone kept speeding up and slowing down and making everyone have to speed up, slow down, or change lanes to pass them. just keep traffic smooth please!

Old 05-28-2008, 07:58 AM
5 Year Member
I suggest those that like to bash hypermilling and the Eco area, just find some other area of this Form to pass on there wealth of good will and helpful comments. It's totally obvious the bashers have never tried it and are just shooting from the hip. The effort to save gas using these methods described in this area can and have been done based on 1st hand experience without being unsafe breaking any laws or in sighting road rage. Speak with facts. Show some data that proves that hypermilling is a cause of accidents and death. Tell us how our fuel saving is a bad thing for the world.

I would have a great more respect for any of you bashers if you tried it and would talk with facts instead of all these constant clueless general comments. Some have even forgot how to pass when they are behind a car with irregular or speed that's holding you up. Get real. I have seen drives like you that are 100% paralyzed behind the wheel, to scared to pass.

That skill set has caused more road rage than anything I have seen here.

Last edited by pcs0snq; 05-28-2008 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
I suggest those that like to bash hypermilling and the Eco this area just find some other area of this Form to pass on there wealth of good will and helpful comments. It's totally obvious the bashers have never tried it and are just shooting from the hip. The effort to save gas using these methods described in this area can and have been done based on 1st hand experience without being unsafe breaking any laws or in sighting road rage. Speak with facts. Show some data that proves that hypermilling is a cause of accidents and death. Tell us how our fuel saving is a bad thing for the world.

I would have a great more respect for any of you bashers if you tried it and would talk with facts instead of all this clueless general comments. Some have even forgot how to pass when they are behind a car with irregular or speed that's holding you up. Get real. I have seen drives like you that are 100% paralyzed behind the wheel, to scared to pass.

I really am all for being economical but "pulsing" or consitantly changing speeds on a highway is aggravating to say the least, dangerous at most. I would much rather you drive at a constant lower speed making it much easier to judge for a pass or turn.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:46 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks, Paul. It's true, a hypermilier is paying much closer attention to the road than your average driver, because it's necessary if you want to get decent fuel economy. If you aren't paying strict attention to the lights, traffic, and terrain as far ahead as you can see, then you lose a lot of efficiency. The majority of drivers look as far ahead as the bumper in front of them, which is the worst thing you can do.
Safety issues have ALL been addressed in the past, and it's pretty clear that all but the most rare and obscure occurrances would make a difference. The first time a pileup is caused by a hypemriler and not the aggressive driver who plowed into him, I certainly want to hear about it.
So bash if you want and believe it if you want. In the mean time I will continue pulling in 50+ MPG tanks and going 150-200 miles further than the others on the same gas.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:47 AM
I <3 SPOON
5 Year Member
Wow those numbers are better than most hybrids.

Interesting, but 260 miles on half tank? That's nuts

-Ricky

Old 05-28-2008, 08:47 AM
5 Year Member
All The People That Don't Believe You Are Automatic Fit Owners Lololoololololollol

Old 05-28-2008, 08:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GD3-Fit

-Ricky
i got 200 on my last half tank, but only started "trying" to get good mpg since 3/4 of a tank. this tank, im really trying for 200+ at the halfway mark

Old 05-28-2008, 08:50 AM
5 Year Member
I suggest those that like to bash hypermilling and the Eco area, just find some other area of this Form to pass on there wealth of good will and helpful comments. It's totally obvious the bashers have never tried it and are just shooting from the hip. The effort to save gas using these methods described in this area can and have been done based on 1st hand experience without being unsafe breaking any laws or in sighting road rage. Speak with facts. Show some data that proves that hypermilling is a cause of accidents and death. Tell us how our fuel saving is a bad thing for the world.

I would have a great more respect for any of you bashers if you tried it and would talk with facts instead of all these constant clueless general comments. Some have even forgot how to pass when they are behind a car with irregular or speed that's holding you up. Get real. I have seen drives like you that are 100% paralyzed behind the wheel, to scared to pass.

i completely agree

Old 05-28-2008, 09:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GD3-Fit

-Ricky
Then again, you should see what the hybrid hypermilers are getting! The Honda Insight people get upset when they fall below 100 MPG. A Prius is good for 70-90 in good hands.
The forum owner's 71 MPG highway run from Chicago to NY was on CBS last week. Keep in mind the Prius is rated around 45/48.

Double Your Gas Mileage By "Hypermiling", Expert Tells How, Then He, Benno Schmit, And Bianca Solorzano Give It A Go - CBS News

Old 05-28-2008, 12:51 PM
Good work Rich, I can't wait for the results for I have given up on it at this moment, for the summer heat is requiring me to use A/C.

As for the rest.........stop drinking the HATERAID!

As Rich stated, you pay close attention to your surroundings, All I do is concentrate on what is my next move. Talking on the phone is too distracting, not paying attention will cost you 1-3mpg loss. Timing and technique are key in this game. The only danger is Drafting which one can get too close to avoid debris falling from a truck.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by claymore
Amazing as it sounds I AGREE with everything in your post and that's a
first
That IS amazing!

-thanks though, means a lot knowing that you actually consider my opinion. seriously (no sarcasm)-

Old 05-28-2008, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by RichXKU
Thanks, Paul. It's true, a hypermilier is paying much closer attention to the road than your average driver, because it's necessary if you want to get decent fuel economy. If you aren't paying strict attention to the lights, traffic, and terrain as far ahead as you can see, then you lose a lot of efficiency. The majority of drivers look as far ahead as the bumper in front of them, which is the worst thing you can do.
Safety issues have ALL been addressed in the past, and it's pretty clear that all but the most rare and obscure occurrances would make a difference. The first time a pileup is caused by a hypemriler and not the aggressive driver who plowed into him, I certainly want to hear about it.
So bash if you want and believe it if you want. In the mean time I will continue pulling in 50+ MPG tanks and going 150-200 miles further than the others on the same gas.
how can you possibly pay more attention to the road when you are turning your car off and on every couple of minutes? I am not as concerned with you watching street lights, or terrain -because you can't hurt them, I am more worried about the other drivers on the road that are confused and unnerved by what you are doing on the road. People act irrationally when facing things they don't understand (see previous post for an example ), and this causes spontaneous behavior to the already long list of things to watch out for while driving.

I don't mean to "bash" you or your methods. just expressing my opinion so some of the 16yo drivers on here don't see this and try it for the first time in a school-zone while leaving their class because it will gain them some sort of "status" on an internet forum.

.....and as far as "aggressive" drivers plowing into hypermilers; maybe if the hypermiler was not on a highway going 49mph with the engine turned off he would not get hit. Granted it is not even close to 100% his fault, but there is fault to be given for sure (all in a hypothetical situation of course).

Old 05-28-2008, 01:52 PM

1st off, what do you mean by "drivers like me" ? - do you mean people that drive with their ignition on at all times?

2nd off, who would admit that the accident was caused by them because they had the engine turned off? -who would willingly admit that the accident was their fault to begin with? most people (even those that are guilty) truly believe they are innocent to begin with.

3rd, what proof do you expect me to find? talk about the proverbial needle in a haystack... besides, what more proof do you need that inattentiveness causes accidents?

finally, i never said that this was illegal or against the law. What i said was it SHOULD be illegal.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:10 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
well believe it or not, i do know how to change lanes and pass people. you're the one shooting from the hip calling me a 100% paralyzed driver based on what? and my car is a manual transmission, i don't know why one would assume i have an automatic transmission just because i think hypermiling is overrated. i have turned my car off one or two times while coasting at ~40 miles per hour...like 5 years ago when i was in high school. i thought it was fun and cool then, but i don't think it is anymore. if you guys think these techniques are all worth it in order to get higher mpg then go for it. i just wanted to give my opinion. i didn't know i had to be a "hypermiler" in order to have an opinion about it. other than that, i will follow your advice and stay out of this subforum. i had actually been restraining myself from posting in this section because i know if i don't have anything nice to say, i should probably not say anything at all. yesterday i decided to just let it slide but i'm sorry if i've offended anybody, let's not start calling me a scared driver or automatic fit driver though...

Last edited by doctordoom; 05-28-2008 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:10 PM
Congrats! That's one for the record books for sure.

Hypermilling is fine as long as it doesn't affect me.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:37 PM
Well there goes solbrothers hating on a/t again lol.....

Alright the whole thing is you are paying attention to timing between lights rpms turning off the car scangauge etc.. so you now have doubled the amount of things you need to pay attention to so the chances of you missing something is much greater. Also the whole car being off thing I still can't get pass the whole car being off because what if you have to slam on the brakes you only get one good shove to it before you are done when the car is off. You could easily skid on that first attempt to brake after that you are f****ed because you can no longer break. Tell me how that is safe............

And as far as most accidents are caused by aggressive drivers that isn't the case that I see. I work in an E.R. and most of the accidents we see are caused by someone not seeing someone else or drinking and driving.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by RichXKU
Mid 70°F, Perfect 10-15 MPH tailwind down the PA Turnpike NE Extension. Strictly P&G, with glides that seemed to last forever.
It's been a few years but I used to drive the NE extension a lot between Lansdale and Philly - I've gotta say that at those low of speeds I think safety does become a bit of an issue...depending where you are. On the country roads, with no one around fine, but that is a special place where the city folks like to see how fast they can get from Allentown to Center City Surprised you didn't get killed by someone going 85MPH in their Hummer H2.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
I also do not agree with this hypermiling practice, but still like to hear of people's MPG figures, which is why I'm in this section.

I also have to comment, with this P&G method, you are constantly accelerating and slowing down, correct? I wonder what kind of effects it has to the other drivers. Your MPG "goes up", but do others go down with the constant accel/decel? What about those that you piss off so much, they floor it past you? Or those that have to slam on their brakes to avoid some hypermiler running stop sign or a red light so they won't have to brake? Looking at the overall picture, I don't think hypermiling really solves anything.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitcapo
Well there goes solbrothers hating on a/t again lol.....

Alright the whole thing is you are paying attention to timing between lights rpms turning off the car scangauge etc.. so you now have doubled the amount of things you need to pay attention to so the chances of you missing something is much greater. Also the whole car being off thing I still can't get pass the whole car being off because what if you have to slam on the brakes you only get one good shove to it before you are done when the car is off. You could easily skid on that first attempt to brake after that you are f****ed because you can no longer break. Tell me how that is safe............

And as far as most accidents are caused by aggressive drivers that isn't the case that I see. I work in an E.R. and most of the accidents we see are caused by someone not seeing someone else or drinking and driving.
*sigh* you have an AT fit with 17's. i don't expect you to be interested in mileage

Old 05-28-2008, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks to you, I now am aware of a new class of moron on the road. I drive a semi for a living. As most of you might or might not know, most trucks are governed at or around 65mph. I can only go so fast...and if heavily loaded enough, can only stop so quickly. I slow down on uphills...speed up on downhills...but nothing, NOTHING is more infuriating than some retarded idiot on the road that won't keep his/her speed constant. I've played more than my fair share of "Do-Si-Do" games with similar drivers. It makes me look like the bad guy for wanting to set my cruise and lay down about 600 miles of pavement between my start point and my destination. But no, I've got "mr. more-important-than-me" wanting to constantly make me adjust my speed or continue to pass them for miles on end. I can't help how fast I can go, can't force myself in a passing lane when there's no opening, and CAN'T afford to hold up traffic while we drag race down the interstate at 65mph. Not all drivers are this idiotic, but obviously some are. I hate to think that it's possible that someone could get run over by a tractor-trailer because they can't accelerate with their flippin car turned off.

But, if that's what it takes to win a Darwin Award...then, by all means, step on up to the podium. I've got to say, if I ever read an article about this happening, I'm gonna laugh my ass off. Poetic justice if you ask me...

Oh, and to the other defender of this ridiculous practice....all the gas you save, I'll be happy to buy and burn it up in your honor...

Last edited by BigBadMadMan; 05-28-2008 at 07:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Had an Excellent 70 MPG trip this weekend