General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

surf storage

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 11:56 PM
surf storage

I am thinking about buying a Fit to replace my old beater Cherokee (will be sad to see her go, but gas prices and rust are winning the battle).

Does anyone use their fit for a surf-wagon? I often ride a 6'1'' that I am sure will fit in the Fit (haha, punny), but I am wondering if my 8'6'' longboard will go inside (maybe wedged up on the dashboard?).

Either that, or can someone recommend a good roof-rack system for the Fit? Also, does the antenna come off?

Thanks for your help.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:13 AM
5 Year Member
im not sure with out measuring... but it should fit in "long" mode... my advice to be sure... bring the board to a dealership and try it out....

Old 05-27-2008, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member
I don't think you can fit the longboard in the fit, but for sure your short board should be fine. I have a exile skimboard, 6'1 microchip bessel short board, and a Becker long board. The long board has an extra 1.5 feet sticking out so I just take my other car for that one, but get a roof rack for the long board on the fit...the advertised manual for the 07/08 says up to 7'10 on the board.

Note: try a search on a roof rack and you will find it.

Last edited by umiekun; 05-27-2008 at 12:22 AM.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:30 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I had seen the 7'10'' advertised but I thought that was probably a flat on the floor dimension, I was hoping i might be able to squeeze in the extra 8'' by putting it up diagonally on the dash. I guess i will just bring it to a dealership and test (hey, can i put this wax-covered board in your car?)

Also, I am wondering whether to pop for the "sport" option. What else does it get you besides the wheels and body trim?

Old 05-27-2008, 01:29 AM
5 Year Member
go sport... u get cruise controll and a audio jack (for Ipods or what ever) and a nicer steering wheel (i belive), and on the MT you get a better loing shift knob.... trust me the sport is well worth it!

Old 05-27-2008, 05:14 AM
an 8'6" wont fit inside, even in long mode. i usually throw longboards on a roof rack and throw everything else inside, that way you can fit people and luggage as well as however many boards you need to take. the FIT accomodates surf gear really well.

one thing i noticed though is that the plastic in the FIT scratches easily, so watch those skegs or even the nose of the board (if its not in a sock).

Old 05-27-2008, 09:50 AM
What plastic are you referring to? Exterior or interior?

Old 05-27-2008, 10:03 AM
There's a pic of what looks to me like a regular sized board (I have no idea how long that is, as I've never surfed) in the '07 fit brochure.

It sounded to me like he was talking about the interior plastic.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:49 AM
Banned
I routinely carry stacks of 96" 2X4 studs in the "long mode", and I'll bet that the extra 6" length of your board will fit over the passenger dash. But as previously suggested, try it out at the dealer.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by thewrightcoast
What plastic are you referring to? Exterior or interior?
the black plastic interior that lines most of the inside panels of the car, including the one up on the dash.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:36 PM
So, I visited a dealer today to test drive a Fit, and according to the sales dude I can't because every one the get on the lot is already purchased. I thought it was ridiculous that people would be buying a car without ever driving it, but according to him they are in serious demand. In fact, he told me that if I gave him $500 I could order one, and it would be in within a month.
This sounds like a load of s*** to me, but maybe the market is just super hot right now. What were your buying experiences like?

Also, thanks for the info on the studs, sounds like i might be able to fit an 8'6'' after all.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:53 AM
5 Year Member
So, I visited a dealer today to test drive a Fit, and according to the sales dude I can't because every one the get on the lot is already purchased. I thought it was ridiculous that people would be buying a car without ever driving it, but according to him they are in serious demand. In fact, he told me that if I gave him $500 I could order one, and it would be in within a month.
This sounds like a load of s*** to me, but maybe the market is just super hot right now. What were your buying experiences like?

Also, thanks for the info on the studs, sounds like i might be able to fit an 8'6'' after all.
Dude, the fits are in big demand right now.
and ya idk about your 8'6 but definately your 6'1. i ride a victoria skimboard and it fits just lovely

Old 05-28-2008, 01:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by goodyonsen
Dude, the fits are in big demand right now.
and ya idk about your 8'6 but definately your 6'1. i ride a victoria skimboard and it fits just lovely
exile skim ftw , but i have a victoria woody too, my first skimboard. Do you go to Thalia Street or Aliso?

Old 05-28-2008, 10:53 AM
5 Year Member
Meh sounds like the guy was being a lazy ass IMO and didn't want to go through the motions for you. Too bad you're not in So Cal, my Fit is used and had its share of crap thrown in there. I'd be more than happy to volunteer my Fit to see if your board will...ummm...Fit.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:22 PM

I bought my Fit June 2nd in MD and they told me if a truck comes in with 8 on it 4 are already sold. I went to 3 different dealers and the most any of them had was 3 cars. The base AT was about impossible to find but eventually I found a Sport AT ( I HAD to have the ipod connection ) that was orange instead of silver. All 3 dealers told me the same thing. Can't keep them on the lot and it would be at least 3 weeks if I ordered one. Good luck.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:51 PM
Banned

RE: stud dimensions- you'll need a pad under the nose of the board to keep from damaging the dash, but it will fit.

I emailed or called all 18 Honda dealers in NorCal over the Labor Day weekend in '06 looking for my Fit. Every dealer wanted either 1.5 or 2K over MSRP, or insisted on adding that much in overpriced accessories into the sales contract. Except for the dealer who was referred by the Costco car buying program. THAT dealer did not have any on the lot when I called. But a week later, they called back when a sale fell through. I got my '07 Sport AT at MSRP with no crap accessories.

Go through Costco. If you don't have a membership, sign up.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by manxman
RE: stud dimensions- you'll need a pad under the nose of the board to keep from damaging the dash, but it will fit.

I emailed or called all 18 Honda dealers in NorCal over the Labor Day weekend in '06 looking for my Fit. Every dealer wanted either 1.5 or 2K over MSRP, or insisted on adding that much in overpriced accessories into the sales contract. Except for the dealer who was referred by the Costco car buying program. THAT dealer did not have any on the lot when I called. But a week later, they called back when a sale fell through. I got my '07 Sport AT at MSRP with no crap accessories.

Go through Costco. If you don't have a membership, sign up.

I got really lucky when I finally found the car I really wanted it had no dealer extras and they offered me the best trade in on my '97 CRV. The dealer extras will do you in.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:01 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by scroogie
I got really lucky when I finally found the car I really wanted it had no dealer extras and they offered me the best trade in on my '97 CRV. The dealer extras will do you in.
And then, there are people like you who luck out and find an honest dealer. Congratulations! Your dealer, like mine, want repeat customers and earn them.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:35 AM
It does actually fit inside (up on the dash).
I got my Vivid Blue Pearl Fit Sport MT on June 11th. Love it so far, it handles like a Kart!

Old 06-30-2008, 06:18 PM
have fun. i managed to put 1800 miles on mine in 4 weeks and didn't even go anywhere. i love my Honda.

Quick Reply: surf storage