General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit's stability increases with speed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 04:06 AM
5 Year Member
Fit's stability increases with speed?

i dont know if im dreaming or not, but it seems like if i go 60ish, the car seems to sway with crosswinds. But if i speed up to 70-80+, the car starts to feel more stable... Good aerodynamics or am i on drugs?

Old 05-25-2008, 04:39 AM
the handeling is just really tight... i dont think it gets more stable... but you had better be 100% sober drivin this thing. on the way home from the dealership i lit a cig and looked up and had swerved all the way into the other lane... ive had it 5 months almost and i still swerve like im drunk all the time... this is the one car i couldnt ever really figure out. =\

Old 05-25-2008, 05:40 AM
5 Year Member
I think the downforce helps but I don't think you will find better handleing at 80 rather then 60. And I have no problem driving mine, what do you mean you can't figure it out? What's to figure out?

Old 05-25-2008, 07:12 AM
I can't tell the difference because I'm using 205 tire width. Just be careful when there's Santa Ana winds...Also, I notice the stock wheels with dunlops don't stick as well as these Yokahoma summer tires. But turn radius is somewhat different between the tires.

the handeling is just really tight... i dont think it gets more stable... but you had better be 100% sober drivin this thing. on the way home from the dealership i lit a cig and looked up and had swerved all the way into the other lane... ive had it 5 months almost and i still swerve like im drunk all the time... this is the one car i couldnt ever really figure out.
Note: Power steering changes with the gear sometimes. Leave it on high gear and it'll be more responsive. Leave it on low gear, it might understeer. Also, it's sensitive to acceleration and deceleration.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:58 AM
5 Year Member
i think i know what you mean. Long before i had a fit my friend let me drive his Civic SI, and omg... I thought my mom's BMW 330i had direct steering... moving the steering wheel 1/100 of an inch made it go insane on the freeway! i didn't swerve off like you but i was having an extremely hard time trying to keep it on my lane, so i was swerving inside my own lane.. hahaha

i dont know how it compares to the Fit, but i came to like the Fit's steering alot. I can predict very well where the car is going if i turn this much. The only thing i dont like too much is the steering is a bit light compared to the BMW (i got over that) and also it seems as if it gets heavier when you go faster. I dont have a problem with becoming heavier, but it gets TOO heavy!

Old 05-25-2008, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member
Good thing the Fit is narrow!

Originally Posted by zRollerskate
the handeling is just really tight... i dont think it gets more stable... but you had better be 100% sober drivin this thing. on the way home from the dealership i lit a cig and looked up and had swerved all the way into the other lane... ive had it 5 months almost and i still swerve like im drunk all the time... this is the one car i couldnt ever really figure out. =\
Any small car whose wheels are all the way out at the corners of the car will handle like this. Just have to get used to it.
Meanwhile, try to train yourself to look farther down the road ahead as you drive. The farther away your eyes are focused, the less you will be likely to drift.
Good luck!

Old 05-25-2008, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by Steeldog
Any small car whose wheels are all the way out at the corners of the car will handle like this. Just have to get used to it.
Meanwhile, try to train yourself to look farther down the road ahead as you drive. The farther away your eyes are focused, the less you will be likely to drift.
Good luck!
then give me hid's CHEAP!

Old 05-25-2008, 09:57 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
car performs better under 65mph. one of the main reasons why
i bought this car mainly for surface roads.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member
i drive 50mph on the freeway because im usually in ecomode :P. but ive noticed that if i have the windows down *i don't put them down anymore* the car would be all over the place when its windy

Old 05-25-2008, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by solbrothers
i drive 50mph on the freeway because im usually in ecomode :P. but ive noticed that if i have the windows down *i don't put them down anymore* the car would be all over the place when its windy
see its opposite for me... ive always been a windows down and never use the ac kinda guy and i still am... i notice i get tossed around when the windows are up or cracked... but it goes right thru the car when all 4 are down lol

Old 05-25-2008, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member
dude, i roll with the windows UP and ac OFF. but i like to have a cold drink with me.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:44 AM
5 Year Member
Wow. I didn't know you were an economiser. No wonder you get such good MPG with your manual Fit.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Old 05-27-2008, 10:23 AM
The fit is very stable I would say at highway speeds. The same places on the same freeways that made my IS350 get pretty rough (bouncing around, being tossed around) are no problem in my Fit. Specifically on I5 there’s a spot where the road transitions into different pavement with a big bump and probably 50 feet of heavy "gutters" (aka deep ruts from tires). I hit this spot every day and knew exactly where it was. In my IS350 I would almost be thrown into the lanes next to me at times. In my Fit, it just hits it and stays strait. On a lot of uneven road, the Fit is pretty damn strong. A lot of it might be the thinner tires but the suspension can tackle things like speed bumps pretty damn well. Not bad for such a short wheel base car.