General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Lower MPG b/c car is new?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 05:24 PM
Lower MPG b/c car is new?

when i first bought my Fit three months ago...the dealer told me not to expect great MPG because of the extra thick oil Honda puts in the new cars...he said that after my first oil change i should see more MPG...i am getting an average 30 MPG...but is he right? has anyone else heard about this?

Old 05-23-2008, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member
I sure hope he's right, because at 2400 miles on my car I haven't gotten better than 29mpg in a Sport AT. I guess I'll see after my first oil change at 5k.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:45 PM
Yes, your car will have a 'break in' period. Honda DOES put a special blend oil in the car, but it's not 'extra thick'. I got my car used with 4k on the clock. Still had the original oil in it. Change it when the oil life gauge gets below 20%. For me, it was at about 6000 miles. Use a good synthetic of the recommended weight (5W20). If you can get Amsoil or Royal Purple. (I went with Mobil1 since it's good enough for my Porsche).

You will experience lower than achievable fuel economy when your car is 'young', so don't fret, it should go up. What you get will be influenced heavily by your driving conditions and by how you drive it.

Total break-in could be up to 10k miles. I just crossed 10k and am noticing increasing fuel economy, however, I also recently got a ScanGauge and am learning how to drive the car to get the best economy out of it that I can.

Remember, THE biggest thing that affects your fuel economy is

YOU.

Last edited by Fray Adjacent; 05-23-2008 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:52 PM
My Fit has over 300KM on the tank that the dealer gave me.
It only reads 1/2.
I figure this Fit is getting awsome economy.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:14 PM
i plan on changing my oil every 5,000 miles as well as rotate the tires...i am going to take it to the Honda dealer where i bought it...for oil and oil filter change plus tire rotation, it is only $45
i also plan on changing the air filter and cabin air filters every 15,000 miles.
i check my tires everytime i fill up, don't accelerate fast, don't brake fast and try not using the air conditioner...i will use it on the highway if i am going above 50mph. since driving with the windows down at high speed create a lot of drag.
when pulling away from a full stop, i gradually accelerate and use the paddle shifters to shift to a higher gear (never going above 3,000 RPM) and this has helped a lot with fuel economy...also shifting to a lower gear when going down hills to prevent from using the brakes as much...also use chevron with techron gas and chevron's fuel injector cleaner every 1500 miles.
i read somewhere that it is a good idea to replace your fuel filter every 3 years or 36,000 miles.
and when replacing the gas cap, click it 3 times to prevent gas from evaporating...

Old 05-23-2008, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mattftl
when i first bought my Fit three months ago...the dealer told me not to expect great MPG because of the extra thick oil Honda puts in the new cars?
That is a stupid comment. Your dealer is a clueless idiot. Don't trust him for any FACTS

Old 05-23-2008, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
That is a stupid comment. Your dealer is a clueless idiot. Don't trust him for any FACTS
thanks! lol...actually now with 2500 miles on the car..my fuel economy is improving..i also found that i get better mileage with chevron gas...tried shell V-Power a couple of times and both times got about 5mpg less than i do with chevron

Old 05-24-2008, 01:12 AM
Averaging 30 mpg and you're complaining? lol... I was averaging 23 the first 4 tanks. I'm finally averaging 30 mpg after 1,200 miles on the car. Also, I got brave and took the engine speed up to 4,800 RPM when I hit 1,000 miles. Just don't high rev before 600 miles and you'll be fine.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:21 AM
thanks! lol...actually now with 2500 miles on the car..my fuel economy is improving..i also found that i get better mileage with chevron gas...tried shell V-Power a couple of times and both times got about 5mpg less than i do with chevron
Piece of advice/knowledge.

Running higher octane gas gets you NOTHING. No more power, no more mileage. Just higher resistance to detonation. That's it. The Fit runs on 87. Don't spend more on higher octane gas, because you will see NO benefit from it.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fray Adjacent

Running higher octane gas gets you NOTHING. No more power, no more mileage. Just higher resistance to detonation. That's it. The Fit runs on 87. Don't spend more on higher octane gas, because you will see NO benefit from it.
wow tried to type "x2" and said I had to be more wordy lol-

Old 05-25-2008, 04:10 PM

when i had my 2003 Civic, i ran it on 87 gas and it would rough idle, etc. once i started using premium gas in it, it ran a lot smoother...especially down here in south florida where the heat becomes unbearable at times. i know that using premium gas is a waste, but it's a mental thing because of the fact that my civic ran better on it

Old 05-25-2008, 05:03 PM
when i had my 2003 Civic, i ran it on 87 gas and it would rough idle, etc. once i started using premium gas in it, it ran a lot smoother...especially down here in south florida where the heat becomes unbearable at times. i know that using premium gas is a waste, but it's a mental thing because of the fact that my civic ran better on it
Higher octane gas usually does have more detergents. Perhaps the injectors in your Civic were getting dirty?

Something I do is run a bottle of Techron at every oil change.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:35 PM
Higher octane gas usually does have more detergents. Perhaps the injectors in your Civic were getting dirty?

Something I do is run a bottle of Techron at every oil change.
they could have been dirty, not sure..but i always used chevron or texaco gas only b/c of the techron and i used the Techron concentrate every 3,000 miles. for some reason, when i used shell gas, i got worse mileage. i think it's because shell gas contains 10% ethanol

Old 05-25-2008, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
higher octane gas just has the placebo effect on mileage. doesn't do anything. take teh money you'd spend on pricier gas, and BUY A SCANGAUGE!