General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Annoying front wipers

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 12:20 AM
5 Year Member
Annoying front wipers

And maybe even dangerous. Not sure if this has been talked about, but the way the passenger side wiper ends its travel right in front of the driver was not the smartest move when it was designed. I dont know about the rest of you, but at night when it is raining, that spot gets a nice streaky glare to it (for lack of a better way to explain!) from the lights of oncoming traffic, and is very annoying. And yes my wipers are totally fine, this is a normal oocurance with any vehicle where the wiper stops and reverses travel, just happens that on the Fit its in the stupidest spot.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:12 AM
5 Year Member
it's never been an issue for me... i mean, as soon as the short wiper moves back down, the big one is there to clean that "streak" of water... it's only got to be there for what, half a second at the most?

Old 05-22-2008, 09:35 AM
5 Year Member
Use rain-x and you won't even need your wipers.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by HarumaN
Use rain-x and you won't even need your wipers.
That really works?

Old 05-22-2008, 10:31 AM
5 Year Member
I'm not really a fan of RainX. I've used it in the past, and while it does work, at times when you do need the wipers you get that wiper chatter across the windsheild, which just annoys the crap out of me. The thing I am talking about is not easy to explain. I should try and take a picture of it next time, or even a short vid, to show what I mean.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:04 AM
i have never had a problem with my windshield wipers. Only once I tried to use them to sweep a spider off my windshield and it squished it instead and left a giant spider gut smear across the windshield but that really isn't an issue with the wipers more of me being dumb.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gofastredfit
That really works?
Yes. I've never had the wiper chatter Rod2Rice mentioned... and I only need to use my wipers in the heaviest of downpours.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:05 PM
I never get the passenger streak, I get this long annoying streak across the bottom of the driver's side of the windshield. The wipers are fine, and I don't know why it does it, but it's so annoying. I'm gonna try the rain-x

Old 05-22-2008, 12:08 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
they chatter and don't clean sh!t. they are worthless to me. i hate them.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:18 PM
5 Year Member
I'm another firm believer in Rain-X. In my opinion, as long as you apply it, and keep it fresh (1/month if not raining, or after every 8 hours of rain) You only need wipers when the windshield gets dirty, or in the mist thrown up by semis, or very light rain with small droplets. The heavier the rain gets, the better Rain-X works. Overhead lighting at night is kind of distracting as well. the light prisms and changes direction from down to in your eyes, but a quick wiper application will clean it up.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:46 PM
I have a problem with the streak as well. Its not a terrible problem but it is annoying. I change my windshield wipers every couple of months though seeing i live near the beach and get a decent amount of rain. I like the idea of rain x and i may have to try it. Has anybody tried different washer fluid yet? I use the bug wash/rain x in my buick and that seemed to help keep the rain out of the way and bugs came right off. Not sure if i want to run it in the fit yet or not though.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member
I use the bug wash/rain x wiper fluid in my Fit, no issues here. I also apply the rain-x treatment directly to the windshield about once a month.

Of course, it only rains here like 3 times a year, but my old habits from living in Virginia die hard, I guess.

Last edited by HarumaN; 05-22-2008 at 01:00 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 05-22-2008, 01:00 PM
Try a coat of Carnuba wax on a clean windsheild. (or a non abbraive wax) Makes the wipers glide nice and easy across the window and helps the water bead on the glass and fly off easier. Make sure you do it on a cool clean windshield though.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:05 PM
I use the bug wash/rain x wiper fluid in my Fit, no issues here. I also apply the rain-x treatment directly to the windshield about once a month.

Of course, it only rains here like 3 times a year, but my old habits from living in Virginia die hard, I guess.
Thanks for the info. Do you get the wierd film on your windshield around the non wiper areas? I get them in the buick and thats why i am hesitant of puting it in the fit cause the damn windshield is HUGE and i hate those marks.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member
i use rainx on my windows on all of them.....
i put it on the front and back couple weeks ago then next day it poured and love the stuff...use the wipers less..i never get wiper chatter with them in the FIT..
also i have waxed my rear window before which helps also..

Old 05-22-2008, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jdjohnson9
Thanks for the info. Do you get the wierd film on your windshield around the non wiper areas? I get them in the buick and thats why i am hesitant of puting it in the fit cause the damn windshield is HUGE and i hate those marks.
Weird film? Nope, not getting any of that. Not sure why that would happen, actually.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:38 PM
Yes. I've never had the wiper chatter Rod2Rice mentioned... and I only need to use my wipers in the heaviest of downpours.
I'm tempted to try it... but HATE the "squeek" that was discribed earlier... so I don't know if I'll do it or not.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
Personally RainX to me was more bother than its worth. And if it really annoys you once you put it on, its next to impossible to get off, and the effects of it take forever to go away. I've used it on a few vehicles in the past, but really have no plans to ever use it again.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:09 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by Rod2Rice
And maybe even dangerous. Not sure if this has been talked about, but the way the passenger side wiper ends its travel right in front of the driver was not the smartest move when it was designed. I dont know about the rest of you, but at night when it is raining, that spot gets a nice streaky glare to it (for lack of a better way to explain!) from the lights of oncoming traffic, and is very annoying. And yes my wipers are totally fine, this is a normal oocurance with any vehicle where the wiper stops and reverses travel, just happens that on the Fit its in the stupidest spot.
yeah, drives me nuts too.