General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Auto or Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 06:30 PM
5 Year Member
Good choice. Made us all proud.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:46 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
yes for sure

Old 05-21-2008, 01:48 PM
I've had a number of autos and manuals over the years.
I'd have to say that you DO get much more control
with a maunal. My 6 speed rubicon would idle down impossible
cliffs at a fraction of a mile an hour. The auto wouldnt engine brake to that extent. That being said, this is a FIT. I bought the AUTO.
Usually when you are deciding, remember that most AUTO's have less gears and are at a disadvantage. With a 5speed auto, the odds are much more even. You have a free hand to eat with or for your girl/guy. Mileage is about the same. Auto's resell better because not everyone can drive stick. I didnt actually drive the manual fit, but I saw the number 0-60 from both. But I dont find the auto lacking. I almost never floor it anyway as that hurts MPG. If you hurt your leg dirtbiking or whatever, the auto is nice. I'd say only get the manual if you really enjoy driving like you are race car driver. The sport model will give you more engine braking that the base model due to the paddle shifters

With other cars, the manual is much more desirable as they are usually lacking a few gears.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by HaveaFit!
I've had a number of autos and manuals over the years.
I'd have to say that you DO get much more control
with a maunal. ... I'd say only get the manual if you really enjoy driving like you are race car driver. The sport model will give you more engine braking that the base model due to the paddle shifters.
You don't necessarily have to be a wannabe racecar driver to want a manual. Other than "racing" advantages, I find I have much more control in slippery conditions (rain, snow), more solid engagement of gears (paddle vs. stick), the ability to clutch start in case the battery runs out, easier maintenance, and better reliability.

You have a free hand to eat with or for your girl/guy. Mileage is about the same. Auto's resell better because not everyone can drive stick. I didnt actually drive the manual fit, but I saw the number 0-60 from both. But I dont find the auto lacking. I almost never floor it anyway as that hurts MPG. If you hurt your leg dirtbiking or whatever, the auto is nice.
Definitely an advantage for the autos. My Tacoma is an auto, which is good, since it's primarily a ski/bike vehicle and who knows what will happen during each outing?

Auto's resell better because not everyone can drive stick. I didnt actually drive the manual fit, but I saw the number 0-60 from both.
Respectfully disagree here. With cars like a Buick Regal or even the TL, I can understand that the majority of the buyers are looking for an auto. But there are tons of Fit enthusiasts that would never touch an auto. I believe that I can sell a 5-sp over an auto just as fast, if not, quicker. And, in fact, I am going to bet that in a few years, manuals will be more sought after.

Also, 0-60 times don't tell the whole story. It doesn't even tell a little bit of the story, IMO. SL55 AMG's are all autos. They are great cars, and very FAST. However, very boring to drive. I had more fun in my S2000, banging through the gears and tossing it around turns. The fact that it was about half as fast as the AMG didn't matter. It's just more fun with 3 pedals.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by p nut
the ability to clutch start in case the battery runs out, easier maintenance, and better reliability.

Respectfully disagree here. With cars like a Buick Regal or even the TL, I can understand that the majority of the buyers are looking for an auto. But there are tons of Fit enthusiasts that would never touch an auto. I believe that I can sell a 5-sp over an auto just as fast, if not, quicker. And, in fact, I am going to bet that in a few years, manuals will be more sought after.

Also, 0-60 times don't tell the whole story. It doesn't even tell a little bit of the story, IMO. SL55 AMG's are all autos. They are great cars, and very FAST. However, very boring to drive. I had more fun in my S2000, banging through the gears and tossing it around turns. The fact that it was about half as fast as the AMG didn't matter. It's just more fun with 3 pedals.
1 How True about the clutch start.

2 Mostly what I meant is that if someone NEEDS to buy a car. . .and you have a stick, you've cut your audience down. No one CAN drive Stick but NOT drive Auto.

3 I also know what you mean here. . .my 600cc motorcycle was fun because you could wind out the gears. The 750 , fun, but less winding. my friend's 1000cc. . .wind out first gear and you're already speeding on the hiway so you feel "less fulfilled"

However, I feel a need to defend the auto as its much better than "NEVER GET THE AUTO!"

I've driven 3 speed autos and agree NEVER GET IT. it cant get out of its own way. Not so with the fit

Old 05-22-2008, 12:51 AM
5 Year Member
1 How True about the clutch start.

2 Mostly what I meant is that if someone NEEDS to buy a car. . .and you have a stick, you've cut your audience down. No one CAN drive Stick but NOT drive Auto.

3 I also know what you mean here. . .my 600cc motorcycle was fun because you could wind out the gears. The 750 , fun, but less winding. my friend's 1000cc. . .wind out first gear and you're already speeding on the hiway so you feel "less fulfilled"

However, I feel a need to defend the auto as its much better than "NEVER GET THE AUTO!"

I've driven 3 speed autos and agree NEVER GET IT. it cant get out of its own way. Not so with the fit
I see where you're coming from. I test drove an auto Fit first, and definitely wasn't bad and if I had one, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:54 AM
the choice is easy for me, only my dad knows manual and myself have only used a manual car a few times, so we needed AT in case anyone else needed to use it

Old 05-26-2008, 01:20 AM
Originally Posted by kyle.
oh my god please get manual.

faster, funner, better.
/thread
Agree 100% Drive a manual Fit on a back road where you can row the gears a little. If that doesn't make your decision easy then you have no soul.

This car has the best shifter of any car I've owned and it is more fun to drive than any car this practical has any right to be and a big part of that is the excellent manual transmission set up.

No offense to anyone else here, but the only way I'd chose an automatic is if I had some kind of disability or sciatica or something that made it really painful or impossible to operate the clutch.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:43 AM
5 Year Member
I've had AT and MT both on on-road and off-road vehicles. I'd take the MT for fun and control, AT for traffic and teaching my kids to drive. If you don't have a specific reason to get the AT then get the MT.

I once had to drive a car when I had a broken collar bone. I was glad that vehicle had an AT.

Maintenance on an MT is easier than AT - no filters, fewer changes, doesn't need special fluids usually.

The idea of getting one AT and one MT actually sounds pretty good if you can afford it.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:50 AM
What about for tall people??

I'll be getting a 2009 Fit the moment they are available.

I have test driven the 2008 AT and loved it.

I was considering taking a MT for a test drive, but I have always had one issue with most MT's:

I am 6'4". And I do fit rather well in the 08 Fit (and I heard the 09 will have even a bit more legroom AND a telescoping wheel, which will be awesome as the seat will be all the way back). BUT, any MT I have ever tried to drive, except for trucks, has given me problems. I do fit in those cars, but when having to move my left leg the travel distance of the clutch, it becomes a pain. My left leg will often hit the steering wheel, or the door, basically I have enough room for my left leg, but not enough to MOVE it around to operate the clutch.

Any of my long-legged fellow drivers care to chime in?

Old 05-26-2008, 10:11 AM
5 Year Member
If saving gas is on the agenda (around 5mpg) than get a MT.

I'll also say the MT is more reliable that the AT, if you pan to keep the car past 100k miles.
Good luck

Old 05-26-2008, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steeldog
Wonder why there's so much difference among the MPG of people on this site. Of course most of it is due to differences in driving styles, but I almost always get 34-point-something combined. And I drive fairly reasonably, but not like a grandfather (which I am).
Back to the subject.
I believe the highway MPG is better with the auto, because the engine is running 25% slower at 80MPH with the auto than it is with the manual. Or, if you look at it from the other side of the equation, the engine is running 33% faster at 80MPH in a manual than it is in an auto.
I know some energy is lost in an automatic transmission, but not that much.
Either way, I'll keep my auto. I think it will outlast the manual. That being said, I will likely buy a manual Fit when this one is paid for, and will have one of each, to suit my mood at any given time.
Good, cheap cars. Ohh, yeahhhh.
I agree w/ Steeldog on the ONE thing: buy the car that YOU want based on YOUR driving style/skill. I preferred a manual, because small cars w/ small engines saddled by an AT,pwr steering/windows, A/C, etc can be sluggish.
I tried the paddles, didn't like them & realized that for ME I wanted FULL engagement (a Clutch!). I am also happy to report that my BEST trip mileage was 44 mpg (driving 65-70 mph) , and I routinely average 35 combined city/hwy. When I'm driving the Fit, I feel comfortable doing things to be economical; on the other hand, when I feel the "need for speed", there is always the '70 Charger 500, or the 340 Challenger!! I LUV MY FIT!!!
'07 VBP Sport 5MTw/ minor appearance & comfort mods!!

Old 05-26-2008, 10:49 AM
5 Year Member
I have seen AT owners complain on here and wish they purchased the MT I have yet to see the opposite......

Old 05-26-2008, 01:00 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
Originally Posted by Deanwvu

I was considering taking a MT for a test drive, but I have always had one issue with most MT's:

I am 6'4". And I do fit rather well in the 08 Fit (and I heard the 09 will have even a bit more legroom AND a telescoping wheel, which will be awesome as the seat will be all the way back). BUT, any MT I have ever tried to drive, except for trucks, has given me problems. I do fit in those cars, but when having to move my left leg the travel distance of the clutch, it becomes a pain. My left leg will often hit the steering wheel, or the door, basically I have enough room for my left leg, but not enough to MOVE it around to operate the clutch.

6'4" WOW!!!!
you're tall my man.
i thought i was pretty tall.
i'm just 6 foot

Old 05-26-2008, 01:01 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
I have seen AT owners complain on here and wish they purchased the MT I have yet to see the opposite......
exactly my point
there's no paddle shifter on that smiley ahahaha

Old 05-26-2008, 01:04 PM
Technically very few on ff can shift using their LEFT hand!!
(there should be a paddle shifter &/or a RIGHT handed shift going on!!)

Old 05-26-2008, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kyle.
6'4" WOW!!!!
you're tall my man.
i thought i was pretty tall.
i'm just 6 foot
I, too, am 6'4" tall, and I just had to go out to my Fit to see if my left knee hit the steering wheel. I guess after the first one or two times it happened, I just automatically move it over w/o thinking..Oh, well, just one of many minor adjustments you make when you stand head & shoulders above many others!
'07 VBP Sport 5MT w/ minor appearance & comfort mods!!

BTW: 6'4" isn't really that tall nowadays..when you've got sophomores in high school standing 6'3", 250 lbs AND THEY ARE STILL GROWING......CHEMICAL MUTANTS!!!!

Last edited by fittmann; 05-26-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by pcs0snq

While you are partly correct... check this out!

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...port-auto.html

Old 05-26-2008, 05:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Deanwvu

i know what you mean exactly! im 6'6-7" and i have a similar issue when i try to wear boots. but that isn't very often. when wearing shoes i don't have any issues.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by GD3_4_EVER
ive ordered a silver manual today... itll be in 1st week in june... I cant wait to get out of this 2001 PT LOOSER
Good choice. I got a 08 SSM Sport MT and I am in love with it

Quick Reply: Auto or Manual?