General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Auto or Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 02:09 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kyle.
^^
actually, at highway speeds, the auto does get better gas mileage than the MT
ok The EPA must be wrong then. Anybody have a conspiracy theory on this?

I have easily gotten well over an average of 40mpg in my modded standard with me driving like a mad man on the highway. I documented it somewhere in the eco thread, damned if I can find it right now.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:11 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
well
i think i remember it being said somewhere that the AT rides at highways speeds with a lower rpm than MT, making it get better mileage

Old 05-19-2008, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
Wonder why there's so much difference among the MPG of people on this site. Of course most of it is due to differences in driving styles, but I almost always get 34-point-something combined. And I drive fairly reasonably, but not like a grandfather (which I am).
Back to the subject.
I believe the highway MPG is better with the auto, because the engine is running 25% slower at 80MPH with the auto than it is with the manual. Or, if you look at it from the other side of the equation, the engine is running 33% faster at 80MPH in a manual than it is in an auto.
I know some energy is lost in an automatic transmission, but not that much.
Either way, I'll keep my auto. I think it will outlast the manual. That being said, I will likely buy a manual Fit when this one is paid for, and will have one of each, to suit my mood at any given time.
Good, cheap cars. Ohh, yeahhhh.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:21 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
haha that would be awesome, one auto and one manual.
that would also be really cool to keep the auto stock, or atleast stock height and suspension
for those smooooth rides

Old 05-19-2008, 02:23 PM
AT is better for me with all the traffic I deal with commuting to and from work. However, I'd still like to give driving a MT a shot.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member
I want to do that!

Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
ok The EPA must be wrong then. Anybody have a conspiracy theory on this?

I have easily gotten well over an average of 40mpg in my modded standard with me driving like a mad man on the highway. I documented it somewhere in the eco thread, damned if I can find it right now.
Wish I could get 40MPG and drive like a madman. I have never hit 40; got 39 once. Almost always 34.4 or so.
How does EPA test? The bigger differences might come at higher speeds than 70MPH, maybe? I am guessing, I don't know. I never stay down at 70MPH on freeway trips. Usually set cruise at 79MPH.
I just replaced OEM tires with BFG Traction T/A- V's, and am curious as to whether my mileage will be any different. I can tell you these tires are a hell of a lot quieter than the OEM Dunlops.

OP, I'm sorry. Didn't mean to hijack your thread. I will shut up now, OK?

Old 05-19-2008, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by Steeldog
Wonder why there's so much difference among the MPG of people on this site. Of course most of it is due to differences in driving styles, but I almost always get 34-point-something combined. And I drive fairly reasonably, but not like a grandfather (which I am).
Back to the subject.
I believe the highway MPG is better with the auto, because the engine is running 25% slower at 80MPH with the auto than it is with the manual. Or, if you look at it from the other side of the equation, the engine is running 33% faster at 80MPH in a manual than it is in an auto.
I know some energy is lost in an automatic transmission, but not that much.
Either way, I'll keep my auto. I think it will outlast the manual. That being said, I will likely buy a manual Fit when this one is paid for, and will have one of each, to suit my mood at any given time.
Good, cheap cars. Ohh, yeahhhh.
One of each transmission was my idea!Like I said I'd love to have one of each!
Know what...I don't have any regrets on buying my AT.
I've had plenty of MT cars ... at least 1/2 of all of my cars were MT.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:25 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steeldog
Wish I could get 40MPG and drive like a madman. I have never hit 40; got 39 once. Almost always 34.4 or so.
How does EPA test? The bigger differences might come at higher speeds than 70MPH, maybe? I am guessing, I don't know. I never stay down at 70MPH on freeway trips. Usually set cruise at 79MPH.
I just replaced OEM tires with BFG Traction T/A- V's, and am curious as to whether my mileage will be any different. I can tell you these tires are a hell of a lot quieter than the OEM Dunlops.

OP, I'm sorry. Didn't mean to hijack your thread. I will shut up now, OK?
I have a feeling gear ratios play a key element in the auto VS manual mileage. I pointed out on my trip that I was running 205/40/R17's (which actually measured out to be 215/40/R17) which is a larger diameter.... thus meaning my car was going that extra bit per revolution which factored into lower RPM's.... which kept my car below the Vtec engagement point.

Generally auto's tend to be more parasitic than standard transmissions, however if the gear ratio is taller then it would give you better MPG overall.

Really with such small differences I suspect that driving style is going to be a bigger factor than transmission in the war on gas mileage.

Coming back to the OP, this is a personal decision that generally suites the driver. I wouldn't use gas mileage as the key factor in deciding.

UPDATE: I was able to find that thread, see post #3
I was on a Mountain pass with steep grades, I got 42mpg on the way out and 44mpg on the way back (which was actually a significant increase in elevation) https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/eco-...79-40-mpg.html

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 05-19-2008 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:13 PM
Thanks!!

Im goin with the manual... i had a manual 1994 civic a few years back that was very fun to drive... im not getting the fit expecting way better gas milage than my current ride/ turd (2001 pt cruiser 5sp) ... im looking for a fun small car. I still have a couple more weeks to wait for it..

thanks for all the advice

Old 05-19-2008, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member
I picked a manual transmission because I wanted control over when to shift. I've owned a number of each (most cars have been autos, all trucks have been manuals); the most frustrating thing about my last car was that it would shift to too low of a gear when I put my foot down.

The better MPG of the MT is a bonus.

To continue the thread hijack, my last four tanks have been 42, 44, 42, and 39. The key to getting over 40, for me, is driving slower. I drive about 60mph on the freeway. That's not easy to manage in Los Angeles traffic, but I can be a stubborn SOB. I also stay in the far right lane. My last tank was 39 because a good chunk of it was driving at 70mph to oblige my wife's impatience.

--Barry

Old 05-19-2008, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by bdrake
I drive about 60mph on the freeway. That's not easy to manage in Los Angeles traffic, but I can be a stubborn SOB.
Uh oh, that might mean you're "that" guy..

Old 05-19-2008, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member
yes exactly,
if solbrothers didn't take out his old sig, you could see haha

(it was you right? i'm almost positive)
LMAO!! yeah i had that in my sig. i gotta find another post to put there

Old 05-19-2008, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
well
i think i remember it being said somewhere that the AT rides at highways speeds with a lower rpm than MT, making it get better mileage
not true at all. mileage isn't about RPM, it's about throttle position. an AT owner would have to apply more throttle to maintain the same speed as a MT owner.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:09 PM
I love my Auto. The paddle shifters are fun. There's lots of traffic in Tampa so it helps a lot. I'd like manual, but sometimes it's just a pain in the ass to me. I can just put it in auto and chill when I want to or put it in S mode to have fun with it. I prefer my manual cars to be faster than the Fit is. That's why my next car will be either an AP1 S2000 or a DC5.
I would test drive both if I were you. And you're probably going to own this car for a long time also.

Last edited by RAizzle; 05-19-2008 at 10:13 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by bryanback
I enjoy having both hands on the wheel, or one hand on the wheel and one hand turning on lights, or working wipers, or fiddling with the radio. All things I could not do if I had to have one hand on the shifter.
I also prefer to keep both hands on the wheel, even in my MT. If you do it right, you don't have your hand on the shifter for very long.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:56 AM
Koi
5 Year Member
Get the MT, as you'll have better control of the car and get great mpg.

As for the AT, as my fit and others on fitfreak have shown, there's a huge gap between cars getting abysmal mpg and those getting great mpg (low 20's vs low 30's and up)- there might be some problem not being addressed by Honda, who knows. Just not worth it when you can drive MT comfortably and get the mpg you're looking for.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GD3_4_EVER
Thanks!!

my current ride/ turd (2001 pt cruiser 5sp)
I drive my gf's mom's 07 pt cruiser AT sometimes, and it makes me want to kill myself.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member
If you're comfortable with either, go MANual. Better control, less prone for failure and easier maintenance. Try changing out an auto transmission fluid vs. manual.

The only instances where you should pick an auto over a manual are:

- Heavy traffic commuting.
- Co-driver (spouse) who can't drive a stick.
- Left leg got amputated.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:23 PM
From an AT owner with lots of mods and a Kraftwerks supercharger ordered-- BUY THE MANUAL NO MATTER WHAT!

"AT is sluggish and boaring" (b-o-r-i-n-g, actually, though boaring is probably applicable too)-- truer words.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:26 PM
ive ordered a silver manual today... itll be in 1st week in june... I cant wait to get out of this 2001 PT LOOSER

Quick Reply: Auto or Manual?