General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Excellent MPG with MT Fit

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 01:01 PM
Excellent MPG with MT Fit

I posted a similar thread in Fit Talk and thought I'd also report on a recent 40+ mpg trip here in the Eco-Fit forum.

I have a new (purchased 4/14/08) MR Sport manual. My wife and I took it on its first long trip yesterday, driving from northern Vermont to Troy, NY, and back, bringing our son home from college.

We went all the way to Troy and then halfway home again before stopping for gas. I put 8.194 gallons in the tank (this is only the second time I have filled the tank) and found that we had gotten 43.09 mpg during 353.1 miles of driving.

I was using some hypermiling techniques. For about 50 miles on a state highway (speed limit 50) I was behind a tractor trailer, including climbing over the Green Mountains at Bromley; I just hung back and drove at between 45 and 50, and may have been drafting the truck to some extent. I also coasted with the car in neutral and sometimes still in gear on long downhill stretches both on the state roads and on I-91. In relatively flat areas on I-91 I set the cruise control at 65. On US 7 south of Manchester, I set the cruise at 55. I used an extremely soft foot on the gas pedal at all times.

I was very surprised at how high the mpg was -- a big improvement over my first tank (supplied by the dealer, who may not have filled it quite full), which gave me 34.9 mpg with mixed town/country/fairly brisk shifting through the gears. For both of my fill-ups, I pumped the gas at the low speed setting, then after the auto shut-off I ran it twice more to shut-off at the low setting. (I picked up this technique here on Eco-Fit.)

I have two more road trips coming up, one during the coming week to southern Vermont and back (RT about 400 miles), and then a trip the following week to Pennsylvania. It will be interesting to see if I can consistently achieve 40+ mpg on the highway.

Needless to say, I am very happy with this kind of performance.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:09 PM
5 Year Member
congrats!!!! REP for a fellow MT owner

Old 05-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by solbrothers
congrats!!!! REP for a fellow MT owner
I absolutely love the shifter in the Fit. It is very positive and the short throw makes me think I'm in a sports car. I also prefer the MT for its better mpg potential. I never even considered an AT.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member
werd. i testdrove an AT fit just to drive a fit. im surprised i went back to try a MT. the AT is crappy. i would never consider buying an AT car.