General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Holy Heck.. no respect

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 02:45 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
hummmm my drive around town is fine.

maybe because i just drive too quick for them.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by Steeldog
Hey y2ks2k, when you say you live in PDX, do you mean the Portland airport area? Forgive my ignorance.
If you live in any big city, you will just have to deal with asinine drivers. Here in Birmingham it isn't so bad (most of us Southerners still actually care about being nice), but just a hundred miles away, in Atlanta, it's unbelievable how careless and rude some others can be on the road. Bigger cities = more rudeness.
However, in my experience, it is no worse with the Fit than it was with my Camry. It does suck that you have to tailgate just to keep some moron from stuffing his car into your safety gap.
I hear you man. I live in Decatur about 70miles from b ham.....b ham is not so bad but Atlanta is another story

Old 05-07-2008, 04:46 PM
Just hang used tires all the way around your car, people stay way away. And if they don't, you can play bumper cars.
No seriously folks teaching them a lesson by allowing them to hit you when they are in the wrong, you could still get injured or worse.
If you have ridden a motorcycle in traffic,then this is similar to driving a small car. You have to take control of the lane, position your car in the lane in a "HERE I AM" type attitude. I always drive with my lights on. Pretend you are invivible. Make sure everyone knows you are there. As soon as someone approches from the rear too fast or close, try centering your vehicle directly lined up with them, this will stop them from ignoring you while they area actually trying to looking past you. This usually works very well, it's like they suddenly see you are there, and usually will back off. Be carfull to keep an eye on all traffic around you when doing this, just be subtle about it.
Always be safe, a small car does not have the advantage in a SUV/PU Truck world. Be ready to change lanes quickly if need be (knowing where all surrounding cars are in advance) etc...

Last edited by EXACTA; 05-07-2008 at 04:48 PM. Reason: sp
Old 05-07-2008, 04:59 PM
tin
5 Year Member
Or maybe they just think we're a mini van that's far away.

Just yesterday I had some guy slowly trying to merge into my front driver side, good thing he wasn't merging quick else he would have hit me. Now I know why people drive monster trucks, no one wants their own car crushed, but have no problem crushing someone else's.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:44 PM
I know what you mean..i don't know what it is but everyone must think i can't go fast in my fit, but in my opinion, fit's can haul ass. i've had lots of people cut me off, turn out in front of me. it really pisses me off. it's happened multiple times and i have to slam on my brakes or change lanes to avoid crashing. i swear i am going to ball my eyes out when someone hits my fit. and then i'm going to scream and beat them up.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
It is sad that most bigger cities these types of drivers are everywhere on the road. Here in WV it is not bad at all - I really don't notice any one being agressive except when they come up to the light and rev like they want to race. I just ignore and drive my normal way - let them feel good that they "smoked" a Fit. I understand the new 2009 Fit will be longer and wider than the current models plus they are giving it 118 hp - so maybe when the 2009 comes out people will have a little more respect. Bottom line is most likely we piss them off because they know we are driving a greener car and wasting less gas than they are. They are just too dumb to realize that their agressive driving is burning up more gas than normal style driving. They think they are Nascar racers but they would never have the guts to actually lay it down on a track or drag strip!

Cat :x

Old 05-07-2008, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
this is a constant problem for me actually. i have a theory that because it's a red honda w/ a honda license plate frame and a fitfreak.net sticker, people assume i'm going to try to race them. so they decide to beat me to the punch by cutting me off, tailgating, etc. when in reality i am doing the speed limit (or keeping up w/ traffic) and have no intention of ruining my fantastic mileage

i've noticed that even when my boyfriend drives my fit, it's much worse for him than it is in his gunmetal-gray saturn.

i look forward to the day that SUVS are no longer in existence and fits are the NORM so that way everyone stops being such douchebags to each other.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FITrunner
It's psychological man. Sorry to say, most folks see the Fit, or any other econo car for that matter and assume its a slow car/driver. They will do whatever retarded thing they can to get around you. Happens to me even when I am doing 80. They come up behind, pass, then seem to realize shit they are speeding then slow down. Basically making their passing useless and retarded, but they still do it.

Ignorant people...cant live with em...cant shoot them...
agreed 100%. hate how drives always try to cut me off just because my car is small than them.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
I'm certain the fit travels in and out of a different dimension, thus being truly invisible to most drivers.
It can't be disrespect if you're not actually in their world, their world being that of drivers equally ignorant to them.
Originally Posted by EXACTA
You have to take control of the lane, position your car in the lane in a "HERE I AM" type attitude. I always drive with my lights on. Pretend you are invivible. Make sure everyone knows you are there. As soon as someone approches from the rear too fast or close, try centering your vehicle directly lined up with them, this will stop them from ignoring you while they area actually trying to looking past you...Be carfull to keep an eye on all traffic around you when doing this, just be subtle about it.
Always be safe, a small car does not have the advantage in a SUV/PU Truck world. Be ready to change lanes quickly if need be (knowing where all surrounding cars are in advance) etc...
Great advice!

Old 05-07-2008, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
hummmm my drive around town is fine.

maybe because i just drive too quick for them.

around town isnt that bad but man hows your fit doing onthe highways?

Old 05-07-2008, 07:41 PM
I have a 25 minute commute to work and its mostly all highway. I rarely get passed seeing i have my V1 to protect me so i can go a couple faster then the flow of traffic. Even when i drive I95 down to GA i rarely get cut off. Maybe its just dumb luck but then again i usually have a group that follows me and they are to scared to lead so they just follow.

Speeding is bad so dont do what i do.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:53 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitftw
around town isnt that bad but man hows your fit doing onthe highways?
hummmm.... it's pretty tame around me. i use mostly surface
roads but ive yet to be cut off or anything on the expressways...

Old 05-07-2008, 08:02 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by Kuturagi
I have the most fun at night with your issue. When people cut me off real close at night I really tend to piss them off. They will be next to me and all a sudden cut in, then while they dance in relief that they are ahead, I flip on my HID highbeams... all i see is the drivers hand go up to his forehead to block the light and the passenger looking back squinting... after a few seconds they realize I did not accidently flip them on and they proceed to flip me off. I personally enjoy it because it is a non-violent way of saying, "thats what you get for HAVING to be in front so bad ^_^"... then i proceed to get next to them, stare em down, and drive my fit into their back fender, spinning them sideways and then attempting to slam into the driver door, all while watching the driver panicking and moving his mouth to say sorry to me through his now broken window... mmmm.... oh sorry, i was daydreaming for a sec
What about mounting a recoilless rifle in the back of the Fit -- you know, with the seats flat and the hatch open. Oops, guess I'm in daydream mode too.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:31 PM
5 Year Member
Don't ever drive up to NYC guys... it's awful up here. I've never seen such horrible drivers... such asshole drivers... !

The good thing is I can drive just about anywhere now and not be the slightest bit fazed.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:50 PM
I thought it was all in my mind, I get the same thing

Old 05-08-2008, 01:30 PM
tin
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chingwa
Don't ever drive up to NYC guys... it's awful up here. I've never seen such horrible drivers... such asshole drivers... !

The good thing is I can drive just about anywhere now and not be the slightest bit fazed.
I'm in NYC, many folks here just have no respect and thinks they own the road. I've even seen 18 wheelers get cut off here. It's like saving a couple of minutes by weaving in and out of traffic is worth risking their own and other people's lives.

It's so bad a state trooper have done that to me! I didn't have to slam on the breaks, but I had to apply it pretty hard to avoid hitting him. I thought he was trying to stop me or something but turns out he just wanted to get to an exit, no flashing lights either.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:37 PM
This is so true! When I drive my M3 they won't cut you off. If no one brings it up you won't notice it yet. I barely realized it. LOL

Old 05-09-2008, 12:34 AM
Im usaully the one doing the cutting off so people back off my bumber a bit.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:41 AM
5 Year Member
you know what, people who disrespect me on the road get the same treatment back.

when i see someone about to cut me off, i speed up so they have to slam on their brakes. its not speed racer status when everyone is only going like 45-65 mph during traffic.

i dont know, i feel people like to pick on me.

for example, you know when someone is merging onto the freeway and the lane extends super far and then gradually merges into 1 lane.

i hate it when those people go all the way at the end and dont even merge and ride the emergency lane just to cut someone off. usually if that happens i drive right down the middle so nobody can cut me off. pssh i waited in line to get on, why cant they.

there was this one f250 who tried to push me left. i was like, just because i got a small car doesnt mean you can just shove me around. i started to move right, and once he saw that he moved to the emergency lane and waited for me to pass him.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:44 AM
5 Year Member
I just switch the situation around... the Fit is a great car for getting in and out of traffic. I don't even let others get a chance to cut me off lol. My friend and I were coming back from Miami to CT and after 30ish hours of driving we got stuck on I95 going through NYC. After about an hour my friend rolled down the window and stuck his head out and he mapped out courses for me to get through the traffic; calling out which lanes were slowing where any big gaps were. Still took us about 5 hours to get to CT in what's normally a 2 hour trip.

In everyday driving though if I'm not on the aggressive than people do try to run all over my Fit. I usually almost get run off the highway at least once a week. People always try to mess with me in merging situations but usually I just don't budge.

Quick Reply: Holy Heck.. no respect