General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Gunning for 40

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 05:11 PM
Gunning for 40

Hi All,

I have a new (less than one month old) MR Sport manual. I just put my first tank of gas through it -- 34.9 mpg, in a mix of town and country driving, and that's assuming the dealer gave me a full tank. (There were only 6 miles on the odometer when I picked the car up.) I realize I'm still in the break-in stage, and that my mileage may improve. Basically I have been driving the car the way I plan to, with conservative stops and starts and keeping it at 65 on the interstate.

I have a couple of road trips coming up this month. I need to go get my son at college (about 400 miles RT), and then later my wife and I are driving from our home here in Vermont to Pennsylvania and then back.

I'd love to achieve 40 mpg. Trip 1, to Troy, NY, includes interstate and back roads, with a crossing (back and forth) of the Green Mountains. Trip 2, to Pennsylvania, will include some shunpiking (we like the Taconic Parkway), plus some interstate driving.

I'm considering trying to do both trips at the speed limit -- 50 on the rural roads here in Vermont, 65 on the interstates -- just to see what kind of mileage I get. I would use cruise control where it made sense. Alternatively, I might throw in some not-too-radical hypermiling, such as coasting down long hills (clutch in) and maybe upping the tire pressure a bit. Also, since we're on vacation, we might take back roads just for fun and to try to keep the RPMs down.

Anybody have any suggestions for other hypermiling possibilities?

Old 05-03-2008, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
I have three for ya:
  1. Buy a Scan Gauge and use it
  2. Starting with that 1st tank, register on clean mpg and start logging your tanks of fuel used.
  3. Read and read in this form area. It's all in here
Ohh and good luck wit your Fit and goal for 40

Old 05-04-2008, 07:15 AM
Thanks! Your suggestions are helpful. So far I have mostly browsed and made entries in the Fit Talk section of fitfreak. Must admit I haven't explored in Eco Fit as much -- I will do so. And I'll report back when/if I achieve a 400-mile tank.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:00 PM
+1 on the ScanGauge

My first tank was almost exactly the same as yours and the second slightly less. The SG has been in the car since tank three and the mileage has continued to go up consistently since then. My last tank was just under 41mpg and my current one will probably be about that as well. Good luck!

Old 05-05-2008, 12:38 PM
40 will be no problem if you do the speed limit, however, hills and mountains kill mpg. Try not to accelerate on hills. Inflate your tires to 50psi(cold). Accelerate slowly and if you head our advice you can get well over 40mpg.