General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

new fit look (US)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 12:07 AM
new fit look (US)

Is it just me or does anyone else think they ruined the look of the new car with that big ol US bumper??

I was seriously thinking of getting one when it came out in the Fall, based on the info and pics available online. But as the US version pics trickled out I started noticing a subtle difference, somehow it just didn't look right. And sure enough, side by side the US version looks ...ugly. Transformed from classy, almost sophisticated, cute sub-compact to ugly, disproportionate ill shaped econocar.

Looks like they added a good 4 inches to the front bumper which, to me, throws off the cuteness factor just enough to make me consider the civic instead.

Does nobody care?

Old 04-29-2008, 12:09 AM
Retired Moderator
Your opinion is shared by many of us here. I think(in pictures)the US 09 Fits is ugly as all heck.

Tyler

Old 04-29-2008, 12:09 AM
If I didn't have my del Sol project going on I would do a front and rear JDM conversion.

Also if you search, there are threads on this already.

And welcome.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:30 AM
sorry to beat a dead horse, didn't see any comments about the US version bumper when I looked earlier.

I just thought no one noticed. Glad to see I'm not the only one.

Maybe it'll look better in person. I was so disappointed, I really thought the first pics looked good. As good as the Mercedes A class, which I would also buy if available here.

Been comparing pics - maybe I'm looking at it too closely - is it just the bumper that's different, of is it also the hood? Looks like it may be longer too.

Last edited by fitliker; 04-29-2008 at 12:46 AM. Reason: additional thoughts
Old 04-29-2008, 01:32 AM
5 Year Member
It looks okay overall. I like the giant moonroof and the steering wheel a lot. Front isn't really my cup of tea, but I can learn to like it. The back looks nice.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member
I'm just glad I have an '08. The first pics I saw of the '09 I threw up a little in my mouth! It does look like a disgusting econocar.

Glad to have the '08.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:13 PM
yeh i'm extremely happy with my purchase of the 08 fit sport. The only thing that i could possibly think that i would change is fact that the touch screen naivgation wasn't an option this year, as it will be next year. other than that i'm happy

Old 04-29-2008, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
1st gen fits ftw.

SAY NO TO 09 fits

Old 04-29-2008, 04:29 PM
I wonder if they had to "inflate" the bumper for US safety standard reasons. Hmmm!

Actually, I am really glad I got the '08 Sport. I love the looks of it, and it's just tricked out enough for my taste.

The touch screen navigation would be a nice option, but I just got a TomTom One for about $140, and it works just as well (and can go in a rental car to boot when I travel).

I am a bit jealous of a moon roof, but I suppose I could modify the current car somewhere for a grand or so. I live in Houston anyway, so those windows on the roof just makes things all the more hot!

Old 04-29-2008, 05:38 PM
acf
Yup, they designed the JDM 09 fit first, and then realized it wouldnt meet US front crash regulations. That platypus front bumper wasnt a style choice, it was done out of necessity.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by BrettC
I am a bit jealous of a moon roof, but I suppose I could modify the current car somewhere for a grand or so.
Last I saw the moon roof offered in Japan is not going to be offered in the US.

maybe I missed it.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SD_MR_FIT
1st gen fits ftw.

SAY NO TO 09 fits
Friends don't let friends drive 09 fits...

Old 05-01-2008, 02:15 AM
sorry, not knocking the gen 1 Fit, but I prefer the gen 2.

It has available stability control , nav and ACE. And I think it looks more modern. IMO the gen 1 looks like it's from the 90's, which is when it was actually designed.

gen 2 could've had a better interior, more like the 09 TSX, but then again that would mean more cost, and I guess that's part of the no nonsense charm.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:25 AM
5 Year Member
I guess I'm the only one who loves the USDM front bumper vs the JDM one. The JDM one makes the car look too much like a minivan.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:06 AM
it's growing on me. some pics make it look too big, others you can hardly tell. To me it doesn't follow the intended line drawn by the stylists. Might depend on the color too... Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, some like the old model, some like the new, some the J bumper, some the US. I guess I have to wait and see it in the flesh.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hanzo
I guess I'm the only one who loves the USDM front bumper vs the JDM one. The JDM one makes the car look too much like a minivan.
No, you're not the only one. I think the USDM front looks much better than the JDM one.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:55 PM
2009 NA Fit wins for meeeeeeeeeeeee

Old 05-02-2008, 11:56 PM
Originally Posted by fitliker
Is it just me or does anyone else think they ruined the look of the new car with that big ol US bumper??

I was seriously thinking of getting one when it came out in the Fall, based on the info and pics available online. But as the US version pics trickled out I started noticing a subtle difference, somehow it just didn't look right. And sure enough, side by side the US version looks ...ugly. Transformed from classy, almost sophisticated, cute sub-compact to ugly, disproportionate ill shaped econocar.

Looks like they added a good 4 inches to the front bumper which, to me, throws off the cuteness factor just enough to make me consider the civic instead.

Does nobody care?
I must say this "Welcome back to months ago"

Old 05-15-2008, 10:48 PM
On most auto & motorcycle boards I frequent, few of the owners of the exisiting models like the new designs when they first come out. However, usually once the forum becomes flooded with owners of the new model the tide starts rolling the other way.

My personal opinion is that their isn't that big of a difference between the two models and I am planning to wait on an 09 for resale value reasons. If I already owned and 07/08 model or was in a hurry to purchase the current model would be fine as well.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:22 AM
Originally Posted by ProMed
On most auto & motorcycle boards I frequent, few of the owners of the exisiting models like the new designs when they first come out. However, usually once the forum becomes flooded with owners of the new model the tide starts rolling the other way.
Of course you are right. I also prefer the look of my current car over the new model that replaced it (although the new one's growing on me) even though the new one has a bigger engine with more power, etc.

Quick Reply: new fit look (US)