General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

aero improvement - rear undertray testing

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 09:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bluerice
Many people do cut out their rear bumpers to reduce aero drag
Can you post just one picture of that?

Old 04-30-2008, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
Can you post just one picture of that?
Here's a pic of an Integra where the rear bumper has been cut out and then most people put meshed plates over top to make the car look less ghetto and more race.

Name:  diffuser-1.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  33.5 KB

And a pic of a company that makes such plates made by AC Autotechnic. The plates are universal.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:06 PM
Thank you sfenders for a very through write up. You got the cogs in my head turning. Smoothing the underbody air flow is definitely on the top of my list of mods.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:30 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
The thread I've been looking for! Feels good to find someone as stubborn as me about adjusting their driving habits.

I keep hearing about the Noblesse diffuser but Google can't seem to show me a picture of one. Does anyone have a link?

Thanks!

Old 05-29-2008, 09:44 PM
Do you have a photo? How do the airtabs work on your Fit? I took a look at their Web site and wasn't sure they were for small cars.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:03 AM
BlueRice, that front diffuser/ underpanel from BeatRush looks awesome for the Fit but it seems like they don't make one for the EG chassis? Do you happen to know if anyone else makes something similar for an EG chassis?

By the way, I'm going to buy that Beat Rush one for my Fit, know any good places to pick one up for a decent price besides KamiSpeed?

Old 07-01-2008, 11:49 PM
Any Updates?

Any updates on the rear panel? I installed my BeatRush front tray and I would like to see if a rear panel would help even more.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:30 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
Were you able to record any mileage improvements with the front undertray?

Old 07-21-2008, 10:29 PM
Have you made your newer version of this rear undertray? I'm thinking about making one out of fiberglass or a thin plastic material that I could heat and bend with my heat gun. Any suggestions/warning/ideas?

Thanks

cory

Old 07-31-2008, 12:48 AM
Talking Beat Rush Under Tray..

Just an update on my BeatRush front undertray for performance/better aero/ gas mileage increase...

Well, I did about 5 tanks of gas over the past fews weeks and I just got my best mileage out of 9.8 gallons of Costco gas.. 404.5 miles which equals to about 41.27 MPG. This is my best tank to date since I bought the car in March 08. My other tanks ranged anywhere from 38.5 to 40.1 MPG depending if I used A/C, had 3 or more people in the Fit, speeding (80 MPH +) etc. For this tank I purposely cruised at 70 to 75 MPH daily on my way to work and 65 to 70 on my way home, used no A/C whatsoever and did some DFCO coasting but nothing more than I used too. I also shifted like I normally did around 3k RPM and maintained the same route to and from work.

As from a "performance" aspect, like i stated before the Fit seems to be more stable at highway speeds at over 60 MPH (possibly placebo effect but i like it)

As for gas mileage increase, i have not done anything to the Fit except add my front spoiler/bug deflector from FormFit. I don't know if the front tray did anything but i would like to think it did since I blew $175 on it!!

I like my tray and it went on without too much of a hitch since I can't read Japanese...

Old 07-31-2008, 02:00 AM
Thanks for the update Blue-Civic-Hybrid.

This is the thread that talks about the BeatRush UnderPanel

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...nderpanel.html

I would like to believe it has some effect on aerodynamics. But the panel doesn't look like it cover that much area. Maybe a DIY would cover more area and have a smoother transition from the front bumper to the panel.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:10 AM
Originally Posted by Blaw
Thanks for the update Blue-Civic-Hybrid.

This is the thread that talks about the BeatRush UnderPanel

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...nderpanel.html

I would like to believe it has some effect on aerodynamics. But the panel doesn't look like it cover that much area. Maybe a DIY would cover more area and have a smoother transition from the front bumper to the panel.
Yeah I have replied in that that thread a couple of times already. As for what it covers, it covers quite a bit more than the stock rubber diffuser area, trust me holding that thing up the stock OEM unit shows a much wider area covered. Look at the pics!

Old 09-16-2008, 12:25 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
I have some numbers now for the Beatrush front underpanel: 2.2MPG better mileage for the 10 tankfuls after installation, compared to the 10 tankfuls before installation. Plus the car is much more stable in fast corners, sidewinds, and around big trucks and the like. I'm very happy with it.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:50 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
i wonder if you can take the roof spoiler off a mitsu evo (that carbon fiber thing with shark fins) and paste it onto the fit. would that help stabalize things? it seems like a better bolt on than the airtab products.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wdb
I have some numbers now for the Beatrush front underpanel: 2.2MPG better mileage for the 10 tankfuls after installation, compared to the 10 tankfuls before installation.
I'm interested in more details.
Is this designed for the fit and just bolts on deal?
Do you have a link with $'s, pics and weight

2.2 mpg by itself, does not really show the % gains.

What was you mpg avg for the 10 before and 10 after?

Old 10-27-2008, 02:58 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
I'm interested in more details.
Is this designed for the fit and just bolts on deal?
Do you have a link with $'s, pics and weight
Plenty of links to the Beatrush underpanel thread are already contained within this thread, including one in the post just before the one you quoted. But, sure, why not, here it is again:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-s...nderpanel.html

2.2 mpg by itself, does not really show the % gains.

What was you mpg avg for the 10 before and 10 after?
38-ish before, 40-ish after. Most of my driving is above 40MPH, and a good bit of that at freeway speeds - 55MPH or higher.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:41 PM
One thing I wonder about:

•Engine temperatures are reduced and stabilized by removing heat from the engine compartment with specialized slits made to draw out hot air while the vehicle is in motion. This is successfully achieved during the creation of down force, as this negative pressure sucks out the heat and is then swooped out by colder air moving underneath.

Now, it is my understanding you want the engine to stay warm and NOT cool down for better FE. This seems like the only benefit is to reduce aero drag. Maybe one can just block the vents but would this make the engine over heat like a grill block can???

Not a bad price and add a grill block then the whole front end will be aeroed out. Now, just need something for the rear end.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:07 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
you want the engine to warm up but only to a certain degree. these simple vented design cannot create enough negative pressure to suck out enough air to really affect the engine. you want to keep your engine running at an optimum temperature.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:31 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
I think I'd leave the slits in place and control engine compartment temps via grille blocks.

Also it's good to determine exactly you're trying to do re engine temperature. I believe the point of grille blocks is primarily to reduce the amount of time it takes for the engine to get to full operating temperature, and secondarily to maintain engine coolant temperature in a range beneficial to fuel economy. Both of those typically need to be done during cooler weather, and not necessarily during hot weather.

Intake air temperature also has an effect on fuel economy and engine performance, hence all the intake mods out there. Grille blocks may or may not have an effect on intake air temperature.

Old 11-27-2008, 12:46 AM
5 Year Member
In 1964, Studebaker took their Duo Cento powered Avanti to Bonneville and set the world record for a stock production car with a speed of 179.9 MPH. They added a full length under body panel and rear fender skirts and gained 20 MPH, just missing the 200 MPH Club by a whisker. Spun aluminum wheel covers (Moon Disc) are said to make dramatic increases in top speed and are illeagal for street use in some countries. Of course I am off topic speaking of speed increases but aerodynamic efficiency also contributes to better fuel mileage or this thread wouldn't be here. Don't flame me bro!

Quick Reply: aero improvement - rear undertray testing