General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

My Lower Back is KILLING me!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 08:14 AM
5 Year Member
My Lower Back is KILLING me!

So I've had the Fit for 10 months and its been great....but since January I started driving to work alone, which is a 130 mile round trip. been doing that for 5-6 days a week since.
While driving my back aches and I sometimes get shooting pains down my left leg. When I get out and start walking around I'm fine.
This issue has affected me so much that I'm considering getting rid of the Fit. If any of you have reached this extreme with your Fit, share your thoughts and possible solutions.
Thanks

Old 04-25-2008, 08:29 AM
5 Year Member
me too!

i want to buy bucket seats, i like it sit straight up ...to bad our seats dont have that lumbar adjuster thingy.you know that knob you turn.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by greekdaddy000
So I've had the Fit for 10 months and its been great....but since January I started driving to work alone, which is a 130 mile round trip. been doing that for 5-6 days a week since.
While driving my back aches and I sometimes get shooting pains down my left leg. When I get out and start walking around I'm fine.
This issue has affected me so much that I'm considering getting rid of the Fit. If any of you have reached this extreme with your Fit, share your thoughts and possible solutions.
Thanks
Everyone does not fit the so-called 'universal normal seating position' used by manufacturers. Unfortunately, neither do I - and maybe you - so long trips can be unfriendly.
I solve mine by getting a custom racing seat that offers much more comfortable seating. (Recaro, for example) Its not an easy task though as there are many kinds of aftermarket seats and few places to try them out. (Worse than trying helmets). The internet should make it easier than it used to be to find not only makers but dealers nearby that you can try out. And also remember you can remove it later to pass to the 'newer' car.
Take heart though, it is cheaper by far than buying a new car. Who knows you might find one from a Porsche etc in a junkyard. In fact that may be the best answer: if you know of a car with seats you enjoyed on a long trip check junkyards for one you can fit in your Fit. Now why didn't I think of that before I spent so much time getting a Recaro (not to mention the cost !) But then I got a great seat.
Good luck.

Last edited by mahout; 04-25-2008 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:36 AM
5 Year Member
Yea my old R32 had Konig seats which were adjustable...I miss them.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:51 AM
5 Year Member
the fit is MUCH better than my old 96 accord. the problem isnt the car or the seat. you have a bulging disc in your back, maybe worse. it could be herniated or ruptured. seek out an awesome chiropractor that has SpineMed decompression.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:01 AM
5 Year Member
I drive home from school (400 miles) every other month of so. This is kind of a long weekend trip, 800 miles with nobody to distract me and my back hurt the first couple of times. I then learned that if I lean my seat forward (like a grandma) it doesn't hurt is much.

Josh

Old 04-25-2008, 09:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by greekdaddy000
Thanks
I had the same thing with my Fit after only 2 weeks. I suspect your drivers seat has compressed a bit from use. What I did is make a U-shaped carpet foam insert to flatten the stupid lumbar bump in our seats.
To keep it in place I installed an Obusforme seat cushion.

A friend of mine also sugg. that I remove my thick wallet from my left rear pocket. It's reported to put forward pressure on the left hip bone but I'm not too sure about that. LOL

P.S. I was the one who also added folded carpet foam under the gas pedal for back pressure because of my heavy foot and cramps in my rt. calf.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:48 AM
same here man, the leg and lower back, lower back bothers me the most... they way they design the lower back support on the seat is not good for me, too much foam causing my lower spine to not be straight.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by willmax11

A friend of mine also sugg. that I remove my thick wallet from my left rear pocket. It's reported to put forward pressure on the left hip bone but I'm not too sure about that. LOL
it elevates that side of your pelvis, then your spine leans to that side to compensate. your spine needs to be in alignment, it cant if your pelvis is elevated about an inch on one one side.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:06 AM
5 Year Member
If it gets really bad, it could be a sign of sciatica. If the shooting pain happens at other times and goes all the way to your toe, that might be the cause. I had lower back surgery last summer to fix that.

Sorry if I am turning FitFreak into WebMD...

Old 04-25-2008, 10:53 AM
tin
5 Year Member
Both my legs go numb on long trips, just like when I sit too long on a toilet.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:50 PM
Here is an inflatable lumbar support you may be able to install in the seat back. Here is something that may help the "shooting pain".

Old 04-25-2008, 10:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by willmax11
I had the same thing with my Fit after only 2 weeks. I suspect your drivers seat has compressed a bit from use. What I did is make a U-shaped carpet foam insert to flatten the stupid lumbar bump in our seats.
To keep it in place I installed an Obusforme seat cushion.

P.S. I was the one who also added folded carpet foam under the gas pedal for back pressure because of my heavy foot and cramps in my rt. calf.
post a pic of your customized seat! Thanks

Old 04-25-2008, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
i dont know,i had to drive for 4 hours straight about 3 weeks ago and to my surprise I didnt have any discomfort.Just my butt,lol

Old 04-25-2008, 11:27 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Possible to fit other seats from other Honda's in the Fit? ie. s2k or RSX seats?

Old 04-26-2008, 01:39 AM
Retired Moderator
Yeah Fit seats are not good at all!
I just drove 215miles in my moms xD(im currently in a Hotel)today, and was MORE then impressed with the seats and the overall comfort situation. MUCH better then the Fit i have to say.

Tyler

Last edited by TOOL; 04-26-2008 at 01:45 AM.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:48 AM
5 Year Member
I'm 6'2 and the seat is not comfortable honestly. I don't understand why the seat is soo small! Seriously my legs are suspended in mid air when i drive it but the dead pedal helps a bit. other than that I learned to sit straight perhaps that is a good thing because it fix bad posture. the head rest is not adjustable so that's not very good.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:59 AM
to assume it's a herniated disc already.. probably not.. especially if it's just with driving.. sounds more like a postural syndrome.. sometype of positioning that after prolonged time causes discomfort.. i'm assuming you have tight hamstrings.. stretch those out well for 1-2 weeks and your symptoms should decrease

Old 04-26-2008, 02:18 AM
my lower back and my legs use to hurt when i first started to drive the Fit...what i started doing, that may help some of you, was to sit straight and for my legs like what was mentioned earlier i started to go jogging, stretching and working out which helped my driving situation and my health. so i am a pretty happy , but the seats can be designed much better.

Old 04-26-2008, 02:21 AM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Drive in long mod.

Quick Reply: My Lower Back is KILLING me!