General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Gas Prices

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 01:25 AM
Ivan, I don't know which European country you are from or the power in which the head of your government has, but the POTUS (President Of The United States) doesn't have the authority to spend a dime of US taxpayer money. If the POTUS wants to fund anything he must first submit an appropriations bill (not sure if this is the correct term but you get the idea) to the House of Representatives. They look at it and vote it up or down (and frequently add pork to it). If they approve it, it then goes to the Senate for further study (and frequently more pork is added) and eventually an up or down vote as well. If it passes, then it is sent back to the POTUS who signs it into law and the funds are appropriated or he has the power to veto the bill if he doesn't want any or all the pork included.

Please don't believe what ever "spin" you hear on your favorite news(?) channel based on it's face value. Unfortunately, most if not all news(?) outlets are politically motivated either for or against pretty much any/every topic and will tilt their reporting to support their own specific beliefs (correct or incorrect) to advance their own political agenda.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:36 AM
5 Year Member
Cavie187 & lidoshorty02, I absolutely agree with you.
I respect the choice we have. I am also happy with mine. That is why I came to US. To be free and have a choice while contributing my share.
I love kicking more powerful cars in the twisties. I love cruising, blasting canyons, track, ..... Personally, I can afford it even if I had much bigger, powerful and thirsty vehicle. I choose not to.

What I do not like as a consumer and a tax payer is being taken for an idiot and a ride on their terms. I also feel for a growing number of my "neighbors" ending up on the street for not being able to afford these gasoline prices and provide for their families.

While "we" can afford it, many people around us (and driving larger vehicles for work related needs) can't. Many more will be falling in that category soon. You can loose ground under your feet very quickly in life and especially these days. Average person or family has very little safety cushion if any at all. Most live from pay check to pay check. Credit cards are not a safety net - they are a trap. Chances are, we all know somebody in a rut and it is getting deeper. Maybe you are doing really good at the moment, but ask yourself how long can you cope if somebody uninsured runs you over, you need multiple surgeries and exceed your medical coverage limit, get hit with that medical bill, you end up not being able to work for half a year or longer, loose your job, mortgage and car payments pilling up,..... You get the picture.

So before you close your eyes on what goes around you and dismiss it as none of your concern, beware. You might be next. So start saving for the rainy days and get some life insurance.
Although driving one of the most economical cars as a DD we are in a much better shape than most, giving us extra money for more thirsty toys and savings for a rainy days.

Just be more compassionate to your fellow mankind.

Ivan

Old 04-30-2008, 02:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cosmo
Ivan, I don't know which European country you are from or the power in which the head of your government has, but the POTUS (President Of The United States) doesn't have the authority to spend a dime of US taxpayer money. If the POTUS wants to fund anything he must first submit an appropriations bill (not sure if this is the correct term but you get the idea) to the House of Representatives. They look at it and vote it up or down (and frequently add pork to it). If they approve it, it then goes to the Senate for further study (and frequently more pork is added) and eventually an up or down vote as well. If it passes, then it is sent back to the POTUS who signs it into law and the funds are appropriated or he has the power to veto the bill if he doesn't want any or all the pork included.

Please don't believe what ever "spin" you hear on your favorite news(?) channel based on it's face value. Unfortunately, most if not all news(?) outlets are politically motivated either for or against pretty much any/every topic and will tilt their reporting to support their own specific beliefs (correct or incorrect) to advance their own political agenda.

Cosmo, you are absolutely correct, too.
I should not have singled prez. out. He is just a part of it, but I chose him as a most representative member.
And yes sir, you are correct on the media, too.

I made my "gripe" reasoning in previous post a lot more clearer.

Ivan

Old 05-01-2008, 12:34 AM
Originally Posted by Tofuman
i just paid $3.95/gallon 5 days ago. thank god i'm not driving my V8 mustang anymore. i was getting about 17 mpg in that car.
LOL, speaking of sport cars. I just saw something kinda sad today. A Corvette (looks like the new one) was trying to hypermile behind a minivan on a 40 mph street. Buying an expensive performace car to act cheap? ... kinda makes me wonder what's in people's mind these days.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by ToFit2Quit
LOL, speaking of sport cars. I just saw something kinda sad today. A Corvette (looks like the new one) was trying to hypermile behind a minivan on a 40 mph street. Buying an expensive performace car to act cheap? ... kinda makes me wonder what's in people's mind these days.
N u know that is true especially in California.
Where it is all about image!! It is kinda funny how people think, "let me buy an Mercedes / BMW"....people will think I'm wealthy.
More then half the people who own those cars CANNOT afford em'.....99% are financed or leased.
Again it is quite funny how some of these people still rent an apartment or live at home with these expensive rides.....imagine being at a bar...meeting a girl...."yeah I gotta 7 series Bimmer".....but I rent a studio....lol. Enough rambling....that's my 2.5 cents.

tonyd

Old 05-01-2008, 12:31 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
News Flash: Gasoline is an un-renewable resource.

Even though I'm not happy having to put more then $40 in my fit when I fill it, I'll be even happier when all the SUV's are off the roads and the lower class go back to walking/using transit. Driving is a luxury not a right.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
The Japanese law on gas tax has been amended and become effective today (May 1) in Japan. That new law is pushing the price of regular unleaded to: $1.60 PER LITER.

That's $6 per gallon (US) folks.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:25 PM
last time i check, we had a checks and balance system. the prez also approves or not approve anything the legislative branch does, and the prez has veto'd many things the senate has tried to pass...

Old 05-01-2008, 02:41 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jacksan1
The Japanese law on gas tax has been amended and become effective today (May 1) in Japan. That new law is pushing the price of regular unleaded to: $1.60 PER LITER.

That's $6 per gallon (US) folks.
They are calling for $1.50 per liter in Canada come May Long.... rumours of 2.00$ per liter for the summer have been floating around. Our gas prices are usually within about 3-4% above the US.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:27 AM
5 Year Member
What high gas prices?!
Just got back from the Greek islands. They'r paying the equiv of $8.50-$9.00 per gal!!
I guess we here in the USA are "lucky" to have such "cheap" gas.

That probably explains why the Fits I saw over there were like Hummers compared to the size of most other cars on the road!

Old 05-02-2008, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by tonyd3773
N u know that is true especially in California.
Where it is all about image!! It is kinda funny how people think, "let me buy an Mercedes / BMW"....people will think I'm wealthy.
More then half the people who own those cars CANNOT afford em'.....99% are financed or leased.
Again it is quite funny how some of these people still rent an apartment or live at home with these expensive rides.....imagine being at a bar...meeting a girl...."yeah I gotta 7 series Bimmer".....but I rent a studio....lol. Enough rambling....that's my 2.5 cents.

tonyd
Your statements are so very true. Here in Cali we have so many 16-18 year old brats driving around in 30-50k cars that mom and dad bought em. Then we have the 19-21's that are still living with mommy and daddy leasing a 50k car.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by rekcah
Your statements are so very true. Here in Cali we have so many 16-18 year old brats driving around in 30-50k cars that mom and dad bought em. Then we have the 19-21's that are still living with mommy and daddy leasing a 50k car.
LOL...kinda makes you shake your head. Can't fault them, it the parents providing the lavish lifestyle....then they grow up and have NO respect for anyone or anything.....

tonyd

Old 05-02-2008, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by bryanback
please don't get a ridgeline. I don't care how much I enjoy my fit, I would never buy a honda truck. I'm still wary about the Tundra, despite seemingly rave reviews all across the board. If you're just using a vehicle to go off-road with nothing but passenger weight, consider a jeep. Wranglers are pretty cheap and fuel-efficient compared to a 4x4 pickup. If you need to tow things or haul heavy loads ever, get a 4x2 pickup. If you need to tow things or haul heavy loads in rain, ice, snow, mud, etc., get a 4x4 pickup. If you need to feel like a real man, get a 6x4 pickup.

Also, at least ford and chevy are introducing fuel-effecient-er trucks, from a new F-150 mild hybrid version to a full hybrid Silverado.

Although trucks are huge, they do not handle like crap, are not slow, do not ride poorly, and are only a visibility nuisance to other drivers if either driver is a douchebag. I was driving a 5.4L V8 F-150 before I got my Fit; and I don't care what mods one does to a Fit short of a full engine replacement, but I would put my money on the F-150 winning a race. Almost three times the horsepower and you say it's slow? I never had a problem with the truck handling like crap. Except for a few times when weather was terrible and I had no weight in the bed, taking turns while accelerating started to fishtail. But after driving my Fit through similar conditions and plowing instead, I found I was much more in control of the situation in the truck, while fishtailing. And although trucks ride much higher than most other cars (Fits included), maintaining a reasonable (and safe) following distance behind a truck allows you to see clearly ahead. When stopped next to a truck at a two-lane intersection and they pull out and you are unable to see the road to possibly cross the street, that's 90% driver being a douchebag, 10% truck. It happens when any car pulls out too far, albeit worse with a truck. While driving the F-150, there were a few times when I was put into a very dangerous position because a tiny car was following too close and I couldn't see it. On a dark highway with two completely open lanes, the jerk decided to drive two feet behind me. I couldn't see him in any mirror, but I knew he was there because he never changed lanes. But do I hate tiny cars because some drivers are douchebags? no.

In case you couldn't tell, I like trucks. But I'm a member on this forum, so I also like Honda Fits. Don't hate.
I do spirited driving through the valley's of LA....99% of the time I drive.....and Cali certainly has there share of SUV's & pickups.
I have done some spirited driving w/ an F150....I was like see ya pimp
But again I am not completely stock.
Then again most people on the roads have pickups for the wrong reasons or have no use for the bed...don't get it.

tonyd

Old 05-02-2008, 06:40 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Meh, high gas prices arn't so bad

*As I complete yet another oil facility design in the background*

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 05-02-2008 at 07:32 PM.