General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Gas Prices

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member
Guy I work with is crying about his big benz sucking up gas and how he cant afford to commute to work. I laughed and basically said to him that he MADE the concious decision to go bling bling. Suck it up or sell it, but quit complaining. Otherwise you shouldn't have bought it. Should have thought before he bought, but nope, too much MTV Cribs. I had my Integra for 17 years, 17 damn years of ripped seats, faded paint, odd noises, smells, and vibrations. Many times I had to opportunity to get something nicer as a commute car, I said nope, because economy to me is more important than bling and status. Now I drive Fit.

He's pissed...better not key my car or I'll kick his ass.

PS. Yeah I know I have an NSX and an SUV. The SUV and NSX for what its worth I purchased used, the SUV gets driven about a thousand miles or so a year for when I go camping or snowboarding, thats it. So fuel is not an issue. Same with the NSX. I have owned it since 1999 and in that time I have put 30K miles on it. Thats a couple thousand a year, again which makes fuel not an issue.

Think before you buy folks. If you didn't then, you better start now. And if you already have the gas guzzler, might be time to cut your losses and go econo box. Yes I know some people do have a legitimate need for bigger cars, and for those folks I do feel bad. I am talking more about the single no family types that buy big gas sucking cars as status symbols and not because of need. (which my co worker fits)

Last edited by FITrunner; 04-25-2008 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by Cosmo
Whoever the POTUS (President Of The United States) is, is irrelevant. The price of oil (gasoline is only one by-product) is determined by free market commodity trading. If anything, you should be pointing your finger at the emerging third world markets like China & India to only name two. Opec also has a hand in this as well, but by and large it is due to the speculators. They are the individuals that buy and sell oil futures based primarily on emotion. Today is a good example of that. Also, don't forget the devaluation of the US Dollar. It is also a commodity and as such, is based primarily on emotion.

Admittedly, this a a very basic explanation,and there are many more factors that apply, but hopefully this small tidbit of information helps you make an educated opinion.
Sounds like you got a hand in the gas prices being so hight he way you are defending it.....

BURN HIM!!!!!!!

Jk......

Thought I would make light of the situation.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:51 PM
I'm not defending anything. I'm merely pointing out that the POTUS doesn't control the price of a commodity extracted from the ground in another country and traded on the world market. Do I think the rising prices at the pump suck? Yeah!

Last edited by Cosmo; 04-25-2008 at 11:54 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:31 AM
Originally Posted by coupdetat
I said the vast majority. If you truly need a truck then that's cool, I wasn't personally attacking you or anything. But think of all those people who have trucks, and how many of those people are fully utilizing the payload and towing capacity consistently. Not many!

If you needed a truck a couple times in the last year, I'd personally consider that as not needing to own one. Borrowing a truck is the smart choice in that case, as I've had to do in the past too. A lot of people will buy something like that just to use maybe 3-4 times a year and suffer the penalties the other 360 or so days.

Maybe you should tell them "UHAL"!...hehehe

Old 04-26-2008, 01:15 AM
5 Year Member
I do toss my kid in the back of the Fit, I got the Fit for this reason, enough room for a stroller, baby seat fits nicely, when he turns one, it has the LATCH points easily.

I was getting the Ridgeline truck because I wont be on major roads at all once I hit each of the countries I will be going through, from old temples to other types of backroads to meet relatives and friends in El Salvador, Brazil, and Mexico, all my relatives are telling me that i should get it, as there is little to NO roads to get to the destinations I want, not sure how those nice cars made it down to South America, but I'm sure I wont be driving with a caravan of support vehicles at any given moment, and I'm sure they drove on the Great Highway that was used in WW2... (you know... Highway 1?).

Old 04-27-2008, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by cavie187
That's just ignorant. I'm sorry, but there have been several times in the past year or so (since we bought a house) that I could have used a truck, and have needed a TRUCK....ended up borrowing a truck. No way a fit would have done some of the jobs I have used a truck for. please don't make me be rude. think before you post.
When gas hits $6.00 a gal, you better keep an eye on your Fit, people will be trying to switch it for their SUV gas pigs!

Old 04-27-2008, 09:57 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I fill up my Fit at the same station and it had been two weeks since I last filled up. The prices had jumped of course $3.54 for regular. Granted I live a short 4 mile commute to work and home. I went in and pre-paid $25.00 for the gas. The tank was a little less than half and it only cost $23.26 to fill it up. I walked back in to pick up my change and the cashier said, "Now what kind of car is that?" Told her Honda Fit and she said, "Must be nice to not have to fill up for 2 weeks and then you don't even spend $25.00 to fill it up" I just smiled!

Cat :x

Old 04-28-2008, 12:50 PM

Borrowed this from 03DSM-RSX on another thread.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:23 PM
That is pretty close to what we paid for gas up here in the "Northern State". Right now it avg for about $1.26 a litre which ~ $4.71 a U.S gallon.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:23 PM
I can defiantly say I have enjoyed seeing less and less trucks and SUV's clogging up the local freeways as gas prices go up.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:50 PM
what really sucks is for those of us who NEED trucks, no matter what brand, their is nothing fuel efficient!! I have tried to figure out a way to not need one( im a contractor, keep in mind) and just when i think i got an idea of a more efficient vehicle like an Element( ive had 2 in the past, but traded in for the Fit), its always the towing capacity that ruins it. My 96 chevy half-ton, 2wd gets 11 in the city,14 highway, but its all city for me. the truck is falling apart, and needs replaced at the end of the year. I was gonna hop on a 5.7 tundra 4x4( but then the epa changed the mpg's from 14-18, to 13-17) so it scared me off. I know, i COULD get an extra mpg if i bought 2wd, and ive managed so far, but it is very hard to pull anything in snow/ice and im fed up with it. So i guess im getting a new GMC sierra 4x4 flex-fuel? ( i think its 14-19mpg) And i know flex-fuel is MORE expensive due to less mpg, but i gotta keep my options open, you know? Maybe flex-fuel will pay off if it stays around $3, yet gas is over $4(soon enough)

Old 04-29-2008, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by gn-it&rn-it
what really sucks is for those of us who NEED trucks, no matter what brand, their is nothing fuel efficient!! I have tried to figure out a way to not need one( im a contractor, keep in mind) and just when i think i got an idea of a more efficient vehicle like an Element( ive had 2 in the past, but traded in for the Fit), its always the towing capacity that ruins it. My 96 chevy half-ton, 2wd gets 11 in the city,14 highway, but its all city for me. the truck is falling apart, and needs replaced at the end of the year. I was gonna hop on a 5.7 tundra 4x4( but then the epa changed the mpg's from 14-18, to 13-17) so it scared me off. I know, i COULD get an extra mpg if i bought 2wd, and ive managed so far, but it is very hard to pull anything in snow/ice and im fed up with it. So i guess im getting a new GMC sierra 4x4 flex-fuel? ( i think its 14-19mpg) And i know flex-fuel is MORE expensive due to less mpg, but i gotta keep my options open, you know? Maybe flex-fuel will pay off if it stays around $3, yet gas is over $4(soon enough)
The new diesel Jeep Cherokee.
Jeep - Jeep - Grand Cherokee CRD

Old 04-29-2008, 09:00 PM
In the past Diesel was a good alternative. it had great power and better mpg over it's gasoline counterparts. Now Diesel is higher than premium.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:10 PM
my father tried a '07 chevy diesel( didnt last long though...he just made his first payment when i was riding with him to a job, and a drunk at 11:30am cam over a blind hill in the middle of the road and smacked us head on. He was doing about 55, us 50. Worst wreck ive evr been in...anywho...) back to the diesel. it only got over 14mpg if you did ALOT of highway use. Once again, im ALL city.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:14 PM
my father tried a '07 chevy diesel( didnt last long though...he just made his first payment when i was riding with him to a job, and a drunk at 11:30am cam over a blind hill in the middle of the road and smacked us head on. He was doing about 55, us 50. Worst wreck ive evr been in...anywho...) back to the diesel. it only got over 14mpg if you did ALOT of highway use. Once again, im ALL city.

The diesel Cherokee is claiming 18/23.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:32 PM
totally off topic, but heres that crash i was in.... here is our truck.....Name:  1-1.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  107.8 KB

and here is his car......Name:  2.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  99.6 KB

Old 04-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by cavie187
The diesel Cherokee is claiming 18/23.

too bad its awefully expensive! Starts at 38k??? doesnt even have a bed, haha. Even if i found an SUV that was good, i keep thinking of all that abuse on the cheap plastic interiors. I would scratch the heck out of it!!

P.S. good find though, i appreciate it. The whole package is not bad at all, but in order to tow UP to 7200lbs. gotta get the tow group--im sure that'll bump it close to 40k. Gets that high, i ought to just spend 5k more and get a diesel 3/4ton truck. Ive also looked at a tacoma, but by the time i get the crew cab, and the longest available bed, and 4x4, the price is equal to a full size pickup that can actually fit plywood in the bed!

Old 04-29-2008, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member
As a European I am aware of prices over there. I also know where the money from it is going. Here in US? I have no idea! It seems prez. keeps reaching in all the "cookie jars" (social security, Medicare, road improvements, schools,.....) to pay his war industry buddies and he still did not even get a slap on the wrist!
Even before the war "we" were broke and were robing schools and social security. Makes you wonder where did all non-existent billions come from?
If we could only re-route them for one year back into our country!
And I am a bloody immigrant, too!

Anyway I saw on the news that trucking companies in states near Mexico go across the border to fill up. Apparently it costs $2 per gallon to fill up over there. If gas tax in US is only $0.18/gal. no wonder oil companies are making record profits each year! It also cracks me up that they receive tax breaks from US government to help them with operational costs because "they would be unable to keep in business" as they state in congressional hearings. Call me stupid, but something does not add up in math as I know it!

Fellow citizens, keep driving SUV's! Be patriotic, please help well being of oil companies and their CEO executives $400 million retirement bonuses!

God am I glad I got rid of my previous cars and have two of the most fuel efficient cars parked in front of my door!

Ivan

Old 04-29-2008, 11:39 PM
5 Year Member
a car was meant to be driven so why complain right?

Old 04-30-2008, 12:43 AM
Originally Posted by lidoshorty02
a car was meant to be driven so why complain right?
Very similar to my logic. I drive as a luxury. If i ever couldn't drive my life would be forever changed, however, I could manage. If I was not willing to pay the price I would have never gotten my license.

As it happens I do enjoy driving, quite a bit actually. I enjoy high(er) performance cars. I enjoy taking long drives on back roads after i get out of work on a summer night, and those experiences are worth the money. It's recreation as well as transportation. -and anyone who says otherwise is full of $hit- One way or another you own the vehicle of your choice because that's what you enjoy driving. Maybe it's not the Porsche you always wanted, but you chose this over a minivan or hybrid for a reason. If it's the looks, the comfort, the brand, the general style -whatever- it appeals to you.

If you want to complain about the price of gas, go ahead. It's justified, but keep in your mind the alternatives: Mexico (as mentioned earlier), Bicycle, Bus, Train, walking, relocation to be closer to your job/school/family/whatever..... If it's that bad, you have options. At the end of the day someone will get rich off someone else's dollar, and chances are NONE of us are the ones getting rich so we might as well enjoy what we've got while we've got it.

Quick Reply: Gas Prices