General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Gas Prices

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 04:21 AM
Prices are obscene over here, at the moment one of the refinerys is looking at striking over pay which means there's probably gonna be a shortage if everyone panic buys. Average price where I live is like £1.12 a litre, costs bout $70+ for a full tank!

Old 04-25-2008, 04:41 AM
5 Year Member
That's not as bad...

we are paying 4$ already, San Francisco/Bay Area (CA) is paying this much for regular unleaded, I'm lucky and paynig 3.90 at the moment (gas card), but it wont last long

ALso, what I think mr twocents was talking about is not the same as what that guy mentioned...

Most people I've met with trucks hardly ever use them for their purposes except for once or twice a year.

4USD == 2.02GBP....

EDIT oh wait...

That's wow.. you pay almost 3times as much as we americans do.... why is that?

Last edited by CuTeBoi; 04-25-2008 at 04:44 AM.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:12 AM
5 Year Member
I said the vast majority. If you truly need a truck then that's cool, I wasn't personally attacking you or anything. But think of all those people who have trucks, and how many of those people are fully utilizing the payload and towing capacity consistently. Not many!

If you needed a truck a couple times in the last year, I'd personally consider that as not needing to own one. Borrowing a truck is the smart choice in that case, as I've had to do in the past too. A lot of people will buy something like that just to use maybe 3-4 times a year and suffer the penalties the other 360 or so days.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:26 AM
Originally Posted by CuTeBoi
That's not as bad...

we are paying 4$ already, San Francisco/Bay Area (CA) is paying this much for regular unleaded, I'm lucky and paynig 3.90 at the moment (gas card), but it wont last long

ALso, what I think mr twocents was talking about is not the same as what that guy mentioned...

Most people I've met with trucks hardly ever use them for their purposes except for once or twice a year.

4USD == 2.02GBP....

EDIT oh wait...

That's wow.. you pay almost 3times as much as we americans do.... why is that?
Government tax, more than half is tax as if they don't get enough already. We have to pay road tax each year just to drive on the roads, I have to pay $180 a year and thats one of the lowest car tax groups. If your cars above a 1.6 you have to pay $360 for most cars!

We're getting taxed to death over here, they're even thinking of putting GPS monitors in every car so instead of a yearly road tax we'll have to pay per mile we drive, an then you've got the tax for entering london, driving on one of our motorways, the list goes on!

Old 04-25-2008, 10:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by isitafox
Government tax, more than half is tax as if they don't get enough already. We have to pay road tax each year just to drive on the roads, I have to pay $180 a year and thats one of the lowest car tax groups. If your cars above a 1.6 you have to pay $360 for most cars!

We're getting taxed to death over here, they're even thinking of putting GPS monitors in every car so instead of a yearly road tax we'll have to pay per mile we drive, an then you've got the tax for entering london, driving on one of our motorways, the list goes on!
ew.

would it be appropriate to mention the boston tea party?
if the gps thing goes thru, throw them in the Thames...

Old 04-25-2008, 10:44 AM
I'm actually in the marketfor a truck... ridgeline...

Wanting one cause I'm planning a road trip going to south america, driving through parts of mexico, get on a ferry down to guatemala.. then drive through El Salvador, visit family, then down to brazil and visit some friends...

I know there are a lot of backroads, and I know the fit wont handle 3rd world country roads, with gas being so high in the americas, I'm sure there is a lot less traffic in central and south america, but still, the roads are worth getting a 4x4 vehicle.

Gas will be my only problem =P
I dunno if I'd worry too much about the roads down there. One of the car magazines (Car and Driver, I think) took 2 Ferrari 599s (i think? it's been a while) for a South American tour, and made it fine. Of course, they had support vehicles. But if a Ferrari can handle it, I'm sure the Fit could : )

Old 04-25-2008, 10:49 AM
RDS
I'm actually in the marketfor a truck... ridgeline...

Wanting one cause I'm planning a road trip going to south america, driving through parts of mexico, get on a ferry down to guatemala.. then drive through El Salvador, visit family, then down to brazil and visit some friends...

I know there are a lot of backroads, and I know the fit wont handle 3rd world country roads, with gas being so high in the americas, I'm sure there is a lot less traffic in central and south america, but still, the roads are worth getting a 4x4 vehicle.

Gas will be my only problem =P
It's rumored that the Ridgeline will be getting Honda's v6 diesel. While it won't help a ton, it will ease the pain a bit.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:24 PM
Yeah I think they pay the most across the pond. Over here In Canuck land you would be looking at about 5 bucks a gallon. ( $1.25 per liter)

Old 04-25-2008, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member
i just paid $3.95/gallon 5 days ago. thank god i'm not driving my V8 mustang anymore. i was getting about 17 mpg in that car.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by Tofuman
i just paid $3.95/gallon 5 days ago. thank god i'm not driving my V8 mustang anymore. i was getting about 17 mpg in that car.

That's what i've been averaging lately. 20psi of boost + nice weather = cavie being poor.

.... worth every penny though.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
My dad's Toyota Solara gets 18-20 on premium and it's only a 200hp V6. Premium is pushing $4 in CT too, so filling up for him is annoying. Luckily he drives less than 20 miles a day, the rest of the time my family uses my mom's Prius.

Then again, we sit here complaining about having to cut out luxuries from our budget, but rising fuel/food prices are really hurting lots of people who can't keep up with heating, food, etc.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:32 PM
Gas Ford F-150 vs. Fit

Fit owners rejoice! I just put $74.00 worth of gas (regular unleaded) in my 2000 Ford F-150 SuperCab. Gas prices were not so bad back in 1999/2000 but these days $3.40+ ouch.

Good news - just signed the sales order on my new 2008 Fit Sport, Black on Black, I should take delivery around 05/01/2008 and can't wait...

Old 04-25-2008, 03:47 PM
I <3 SPOON
5 Year Member
yeah this is just the beginning
gas prices can't go anywhere but up nowadays

Old 04-25-2008, 03:51 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sam21
gas with the fit is getting expensive!!

shiiiettt

I might go out and look for a used small motorcycle
Agreed, my car cost me over 30$ to fill up this week.

I was driving a 4.0L Jeep before and only about 3 years ago and it used to cost me 30$ to fill up!! When I flipped it for my Fit it was costing me around 65$... lets see, with today's prices that would jump to... 90$!!! Hmmm, I don't feel so bad anymore

Old 04-25-2008, 03:53 PM
Unhappy

Gas prices are ridiculous! LA has some of the worst traffic in the US. I travel into LA frequently for my business and what I have noticed is a slight decrease in people on the road!!
The gas prices are effecting families across the nation.....no quite sure if we need another republican in the White House .

tonyd

Old 04-25-2008, 03:54 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by coupdetat
I said the vast majority. If you truly need a truck then that's cool, I wasn't personally attacking you or anything. But think of all those people who have trucks, and how many of those people are fully utilizing the payload and towing capacity consistently. Not many!

If you needed a truck a couple times in the last year, I'd personally consider that as not needing to own one. Borrowing a truck is the smart choice in that case, as I've had to do in the past too. A lot of people will buy something like that just to use maybe 3-4 times a year and suffer the penalties the other 360 or so days.
yep, i agree. like young parents thinking they MUST have a minivan
just for their one kid. toss them in a back of your Fit and
be done with. how much crap is one kid going to carry? mine is only
one little duffle bag... the other one needs a stroller and a diaper bag.
i dont need a frikken arsehauler for that.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:57 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
as far as gas prices goes, i filled up with 1/4 left and it was $28.
not bad. im not complaining at all.

my legacy costs $50+ to fill, cooper-s was about the same as well,
G35C is $70+.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:14 PM
Banned
For the first time since I've owned the car I put in more than $30 monday night. I was pretty depressed, I only drive 6 miles to and from work each day, but then everytime we need to go somewhere we take my car due to the mileage and its newer.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:23 PM
Fit rules but not for BIG loads ;)

Oh I like big trucks too but they are getting very $$$ to drive everyday. So I bought a 08 Fit Sport Automatic and I have my Ford F-150 SuperCab for weekend and when needed use. The Fit is big inside and can carry a lot but try carrying 8 full sheets of 3/4" plywood in a Fit

I used to drive a Ford F-250 4X4 and loved it, it go rotten mileage and was a hog but I could drive in about 42" of water, mud, etc...

Big trucks rule but NOT in gas mileage or on the green scale. Awhile back I began thinking, why do I need a F-150 Supercab just to get back or forth to work (about a 30 mile round trip every weekday), so I began to think minimalist (the Honda way) and I fell in love with the Fit.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by tonyd3773
Gas prices are ridiculous!...The gas prices are effecting families across the nation.....no quite sure if we need another republican in the White House .

tonyd
Whoever the POTUS (President Of The United States) is, is irrelevant. The price of oil (gasoline is only one by-product) is determined by free market commodity trading. If anything, you should be pointing your finger at the emerging third world markets like China & India to only name two. Opec also has a hand in this as well, but by and large it is due to the speculators. They are the individuals that buy and sell oil futures based primarily on emotion. Today is a good example of that. Also, don't forget the devaluation of the US Dollar. It is also a commodity and as such, is based primarily on emotion.

Admittedly, this a a very basic explanation,and there are many more factors that apply, but hopefully this small tidbit of information helps you make an educated opinion.

Quick Reply: Gas Prices