General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Test Driving The 2009 Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 10:41 AM
RDS
Originally Posted by Nigal
Will the 2009 have the same engine and mileage?
Different engine (although it's still called 'L15A), theoretically higher mileage due to i-VTEC (continuously variable camshaft phasing) vs. VTEC on the 08s.

For fuel efficiency, new piston skirts and piston pattern coating (first for a mass production engine), an automatic belt tensioner on the A/C, alternator belt (less drag at low RPM = better fuel efficiency), integrated exhaust manifold (say goodbye to swapping out the header , hello to integrated turbo manifold ), they're even so obsessive as to change the valve cover from aluminum to plastic to reduce weight to increase fuel economy, like they did on the R-series. Something people who live in congested areas might be interested in is Creep Control to reduce wasted fuel during bumper to bumper traffic.

For anyone curious about power, the differences between these two include full 16 valve operation during both mild and hot camshaft engagement to optimize valve timing, vs. 12 valve operation during mild and 16 valve operation during the "hot" cam (intake valve area is up 4%). Essentially, this creates better airflow efficiency, increasing horsepower and torque over the entire powerband. The L15A also has a new rocker arm design and revised coolant passages in the water jacket to significantly reduce knock and increase low-RPM torque. New piston crowns, an integrated chamber-type resonator (induces sonic resonance to reduce a dip in torque at a specific RPM, but I can't remember off the top of my head where).

Old 04-20-2008, 10:46 AM
WOW. Got anything else on the "top of your head"? Like maybe the specs on nuclear fission temperature? lol

Nice post.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:51 AM
RDS
Originally Posted by cavie187
WOW. Got anything else on the "top of your head"? Like maybe the specs on nuclear fission temperature? lol

Nice post.
lmao, not all of it was off the top of my head. I have some of it written out on my hard drive but I can't remember where I put the link. I thought it was in my favorites, but I can't find it.

EDIT: Oop. Got it

Current L15A - The Truly Amazing Honda Fit/Jazz

2009 L15A with i-VTEC - Honda L-Series SOHC i-VTEC Engines for the new GD Honda Fit/Jazz

And resonance is 3500RPM

Old 04-20-2008, 12:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cardinal
I just found another picture of the usdm red fit and it does have maplights. I was going to post the pic but it seems a bit complicated for right now.
I'll do it this way. http://picasaweb.google.com/home

Oops, try this, Picasa Web Albums - lenny

nice investigative work thanx!

Old 04-27-2008, 03:05 PM
5 Year Member
Any updates RDS?

Old 04-27-2008, 04:16 PM
RDS
Originally Posted by SheepNutz
Any updates RDS?
Yes actually, I spoke to my contact at Honda two days ago and he let me know that the cars are out of paint and should be ready to be picked up. I was originally going to pick them up tomorrow, but I have something to take care of so I will hopefully be flying out Tuesday. If I make it out there and pick them up, expect a review in regards to real-world fuel efficiency, comfort, etc.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:53 PM
Retired Moderator
Can wait to see what you have to say about the new Fit..

Old 04-28-2008, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by RDS
Yes actually, I spoke to my contact at Honda two days ago and he let me know that the cars are out of paint and should be ready to be picked up. I was originally going to pick them up tomorrow, but I have something to take care of so I will hopefully be flying out Tuesday. If I make it out there and pick them up, expect a review in regards to real-world fuel efficiency, comfort, etc.
Sweet! I can't wait!

Old 04-28-2008, 06:26 PM
You might want to get a small video sample too. As long as nobody's looking.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by RDS
Different engine (although it's still called 'L15A), theoretically higher mileage due to i-VTEC (continuously variable camshaft phasing) vs. VTEC on the 08s.

For fuel efficiency, new piston skirts and piston pattern coating (first for a mass production engine), an automatic belt tensioner on the A/C, alternator belt (less drag at low RPM = better fuel efficiency), integrated exhaust manifold (say goodbye to swapping out the header , hello to integrated turbo manifold ), they're even so obsessive as to change the valve cover from aluminum to plastic to reduce weight to increase fuel economy, like they did on the R-series. Something people who live in congested areas might be interested in is Creep Control to reduce wasted fuel during bumper to bumper traffic.

For anyone curious about power, the differences between these two include full 16 valve operation during both mild and hot camshaft engagement to optimize valve timing, vs. 12 valve operation during mild and 16 valve operation during the "hot" cam (intake valve area is up 4%). Essentially, this creates better airflow efficiency, increasing horsepower and torque over the entire powerband. The L15A also has a new rocker arm design and revised coolant passages in the water jacket to significantly reduce knock and increase low-RPM torque. New piston crowns, an integrated chamber-type resonator (induces sonic resonance to reduce a dip in torque at a specific RPM, but I can't remember off the top of my head where).

RDS, I like what I hear from you! I might hate the front end extension and not be thrilled with stock look, but '09 is growing on me from the "inside"(with exception of 10 cup holder necessity logic!).
VTEC is not exactly genuine VTEC when you just take valves that are staying dormant and get them to work at at some higher rpm, IMO!

I am also curious to hear your impressions of the actual driving position. Does telescopic wheel has enough length in it's adjustment to get comfortable (unlike current Fit), or even allow for more reclined driving position. I am not laying in my seat like some, but I am more comfortable with 120+/-10 degree inclination like I enjoy in my CRX. Speaking of CRX, they had the best seats for my comfort preferences. If you could reference between current Fit seat and CRX seat as a reference in your evaluation, that would be awesome.
Considering your expertise level, I do not think that we could have hopped for a better and more accurate review of '09 Fit.
Thanks for your contributions!
Ivan

Old 05-09-2008, 12:47 AM
hey any updates on this?

Old 05-09-2008, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by VBP_bomber
hey any updates on this?
Yeah, I'm eager to hear about how the 2009 Fit drives! :-)

Old 05-09-2008, 11:06 PM
bump... i'm also anxiously awaiting the review... and the pics of course

Old 05-20-2008, 02:41 PM
What happened to this test drive? Did I miss it?

Old 05-20-2008, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by RDS
I'm calling BS!!!

Old 05-20-2008, 07:22 PM
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by 98TypeR
I'm calling BS!!!
I think your correct. What did RDS mean by getting the car out of paint? They're painted in Japan, no? I'm starting to smell something awful.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:23 PM
What's the good word RDS?

Old 05-23-2008, 06:59 AM
RDS must be a Troll. I don't think the 09 Fit is even in the States yet, except for a few that were at the Auto shows.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:47 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
He's no troll. his information has been correct and so far pretty accurate.

He'll post when he gets on. His last login was 5/2/08. obviously he's been busy and not logged in.

Old 05-25-2008, 03:28 PM
Wonder why he just "disappeared?"

Quick Reply: Test Driving The 2009 Fit?