General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

what can and cant you do to you fit with out voiding the warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 10:17 PM
what can and cant you do to you fit with out voiding the warranty

im getting a fit saturday, would of got it today but thay have to find me a storm silver one from some where else, well im ordering some parts for it now what can and cant i do with out messing up the warranty like what about HID kits? i dont think i can do springs. but my main question is about the HID kits if worst comes to worst there plug and play i can take them out befor i go back to the dealer for anything i dont know let me know

Old 04-17-2008, 10:18 PM
This is going to be a LOOOOOOOOOONG thread.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:29 PM
yea thay are strict with there warranty and will try and find anything to void it so thay dont have to fix your car anymore. and what about if you beat it lol i mean its your car you can beat it if you want everyone tends to wanna get on there car now and again. im guessing but what if im ripping on it and i blow it up will thay not fix it ? cuz im sure thay have software in it to say what you were doing at what speed and at what RPM you blew it up. has anyone broken one yet from beating it. this is also my first new car so im new with warranty's also

Old 04-17-2008, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member
in for info.

and x2 on, it's gonna be a long thread LOL

Old 04-18-2008, 12:03 AM
5 Year Member
Did you change your own oil? That's probably grounds to void the warranty.

But really, why worry yourself over it? Unless they can prove that what you modified caused the problem/malfunction then they cannot deny warranty service.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:17 AM
5 Year Member
Generally speaking any suspension, wheels and tires and intake filter setup, exhaust post cataltics,or cosmetic changes are not warranty threatenable; however, any changes you make are subject to subsequent damages they might cause, such as lowering resulting in undercarriage damage. Not the dealer or Manufacurer. You.
Any engine mods are subject to loss of warranty, as they should be. likewise any mods that affect factory setup for emission controls in any place, such as headers or bypassed catalytics. See last paragraph.

It is not correct for the dealer, or manufacturer. to void the complete warranty, only that related to your modification, though they will pick flimsy reasons to disregard that, too.

One thing to watch out for: modification of anything that affects your engine's emissions allows the dealer or manufacturer to report you to the DOT/NHTSA. That is a criminal act that can get you time and up to $10k fine. It has nothing to do with the warranty. It is law you are breaking.
There are dealers who will eagerly do that.

Last edited by mahout; 04-19-2008 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:27 PM
Just remember, you can do anything you want to your car. The dealership has to prove that a modification you made lead to a failure. They can be ass's about that, and you can always file a complaint with Honda if its outrageous (like say you added an intake and they wouldn’t fix a wheel falling off your Fit). But of course, if you make the mod and it results in a failure, prepare to suffer the consequences.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:29 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
thread # 43425671265347122654132764152 about voided warranties.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:46 PM
5 Year Member
There is soooo much misinformation regarding vehicle warranties.

Simply put you can change ANY part on your car and have ANY person do maintenance work that you want. If a part that you install fails or causes another part to fail, the manufactures warranty does not have to cover the repair. This does not mean your warranty is void. It is only void on those parts.

For example, you install aftermarket springs and your struts fail, Honda is not responsible because they will blame the failure on your aftermarket springs. Now, lets say you install aftermarket springs and your air conditioner stops working. Honda is still responsible to repair the air conditioner because the installation of aftermarket springs can not cause it to fail.

This has all been covered many, many times. I have personally been involved in a situation where a dealership did not want to perform warranty work. There is an Act that was passed by Congress to specifically deal with what manufactures can and can't do...

MLM Law - Lawyer Grimes & Reese PLLC - Attorney Specializing in Multilevel Marketing - Understanding the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
The Center for Auto Safety

My vehicle was repaired and I received an apology for the inconvenience. Know the law.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:08 PM
thanx for all the info now i know i can do what i want with out messing up the full warranty

Old 04-19-2008, 12:40 PM
I know for a fact that some dealerships will do everything in their power to avoid fixing your car for free. For example, if you have as little as an intake on your car and you have any internal engine trouble they will try to blame it on the intake, even though it does it's job better than the factory airbox ever hoped to. Bottom line is there are no real rules for warranty work, only thin guidelines that are put in place to keep the dealerships doing as few "free" fixes as possible.

The initial point of a warranty was in the event of a manufacturer defect the dealership would cover the problem no questions asked because there was (beyond the shadow of a doubt) no fault by the consumer. Now they have warranties to use as advertising more than anything. "Buy from us, we have a 6trillion mile warranty!!!" type of thing, but you will find that part of the warranty may wear thin after as little as 3years.

The best advise i can give on the subject is if you purchasing a new vehicle, buy one with an existing factory warranty, and do NOT buy the additional coverage.
-AND-
When modding a car with a warranty be prepared to deal with some serious B.S. if you take it back to the dealer for a problem. Be sure to keep ALL factory original parts and if the problem is severe enough, or if there is any way that they can blame the issues you are having on the aftermarket parts you put on, replace them with the OEM part before bringing in your car if you wan to avoid any hastle/out of pocket costs.

Old 04-19-2008, 01:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cavie187
Be sure to keep ALL factory original parts and if the problem is severe enough, or if there is any way that they can blame the issues you are having on the aftermarket parts you put on, replace them with the OEM part before bringing in your car if you wan to avoid any hastle/out of pocket costs.
That's the simplest advice. Don't go beyond simple, reversible bolt-ons if warranty is a major concern. For those that are considering major upgrades like a turbo/supercharger kit, warranty shouldn't be as big of an issue because an entire short block is cheaper than any of the kits.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
There is soooo much misinformation regarding vehicle warranties.

Simply put you can change ANY part on your car and have ANY person do maintenance work that you want. If a part that you install fails or causes another part to fail, the manufactures warranty does not have to cover the repair. This does not mean your warranty is void. It is only void on those parts.

For example, you install aftermarket springs and your struts fail, Honda is not responsible because they will blame the failure on your aftermarket springs. Now, lets say you install aftermarket springs and your air conditioner stops working. Honda is still responsible to repair the air conditioner because the installation of aftermarket springs can not cause it to fail.

This has all been covered many, many times. I have personally been involved in a situation where a dealership did not want to perform warranty work. There is an Act that was passed by Congress to specifically deal with what manufactures can and can't do...

MLM Law - Lawyer Grimes & Reese PLLC - Attorney Specializing in Multilevel Marketing - Understanding the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
The Center for Auto Safety

My vehicle was repaired and I received an apology for the inconvenience. Know the law.

Please do not confuse with mods that affect emissions. That case is breaking the law and is separate from the Magnuson-Moss Act. If a dealer reports you are in deep trouble.

And it can be very expensive to fight a dealer with manufacterers backing on disproving that your mod did not cause subsequent damages. More than likely you will lose. Hard to fight the engineering department of cars they sell. Judges and juries will almost always side with the engineering department.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
Please do not confuse with mods that affect emissions. That case is breaking the law and is separate from the Magnuson-Moss Act. If a dealer reports you are in deep trouble.

And it can be very expensive to fight a dealer with manufacterers backing on disproving that your mod did not cause subsequent damages. More than likely you will lose. Hard to fight the engineering department of cars they sell. Judges and juries will almost always side with the engineering department.
Agreed...tampering with emmissions equipment is a completely different subject.

Some things are simple. Like changing the brake pads didn't make the power windows quit working. Some things are more gray. Like did the cold air intake make the motor run lean and burn a hole in the piston? That could be a fight.

On the bright side, if you can do work yourself or have friends that can, none of the parts on a Fit are that expensive to replace. If you can't afford the $2,200 short block in the unlikely event you melt the motor with a turbo kit, you probably shouldn't buy the kit to begin with.

The level and type of mods you do should be based on whether you can afford the worst potential outcome of those mods. If you can't afford even the slightest repair bill, stick with accessory type mods like shift knobs, floor mats, window visors, etc.

Also, as was mentioned before, if you find a bad dealer, they might try to get out of performing warranty work even for clear cut obvious manufacture defects. So the warranty isn't worth much at those dealers anyway. There are also mod friendly dealers that are performance oriented and don't mind doing the warranty work because they will be reimbursed by Honda America. A good dealer strives to keep their customers happy and still be fair to Honda Corporate.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:29 PM
... told you this was going to be a long thread ...